Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Firestick general discussion thread

• 19-06-2020 9:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,372 ✭✭✭✭

Following from the thread in Bargain Alerts, this is for discussion in general

FAQ
    Which firestick should I buy?

4K is not just for 4K. The 4K firestick is a better purchase than non 4K stick
    But it won't shop to Ireland?
    Use parcel wizard/motel/addresspal etc etc
    What can I do with the firestick?
    Well the world is your oyster but it depends on what you want to do with it. There are many apps, many free and most are legit.
    Do I use my amazon account on it?
    Yes you can and if you have prime, you get the benefits of prime. However US customers seem to get a lot more free via IMDB TV etc. You could set up a new amazon account with a US address solely for this purpose. Couple this with a VPN, your stick can give you a lot more options. However your UK prime account is then not available.
    Should I use a VPN?
    It seems fairly common place to use one nowadays. You can get VPN unlimited on a stack social deal for a lifetime price of $15. It auto runs when you start your firestick. It also allows you to watch UK catchup channels. You can easily change between US and UK as necessary.
    If you are getting an error, ensure it is the US streaming picked and not a random US city.
    A VPN gets around geoblocking e.g. You take the firestick on holidays to Italy. RTE player won't work as you are not in Ireland. The VPN makes the firestick think it's in Ireland and then RTE player works.
    What are the essential apps?
    Sub required: Netflix, Disney+, HULU, HBO Now, Sling TV, DirecTv & FuboTv & HBOMAX, eurosport player
    Free: Crackle, Pluto, Tubi, BBC, All4, RTE, Virgin Media, UKTV Play, ITV Hub, My5,
    What other Apps?
    You will need mouse toggle and also orientation for some apps. Mouse toggle allows your remote to act like a mouse.
    Where can I get these apps?
    Some can be found using the amazon search or using downloader (can be downloaded from the main page). However you’ll notice that if you are a UK account, you can’t download crackle. If you are a US account, you can’t download UK catchup. So you can find them using filelinked.
    The best place is to watch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIPT30w39bA. Tanya is a great source of info for the firestick. Her videos are also great for showing you how to start with downloader, allowing apps to be installed outside of amazon store etc.
    There are 3 main filelinked for firestick, Codes: Tanya 71607934, Average Ed 47713348 & Electrical MD 85810914
    https://www.youtube.com/c/FireTVSticks
    https://www.youtube.com/user/TechDoctorUK/
    RTE Player
    There are 2 APKs you can use. The newer version has live TV but you need the mouse toggle. It is available on downloader (v3.0.4: don’t use a newer one) or via one of the filelinked. The older version (v1) https://www.joujoujou.com/images/rte.apk doesn’t require mouse toggle but there’s no live TV option. You can put this URL into downloader which will download the apk to your firestick.
    Whats the best price at moment?
    It's probably easier looking up amazon or currys for a current price rather than asking it here.
    Can I use my phone to install apps?
    You can use easyfiretools. However start with filelinked and probably Tanya.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭magicmoves

Has anyone tried hooking up their echo plus to the firestick to hear the audio on the TV. Is there any latency issues with the audio?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

TheDriver wrote: »
    Following from the thread in Bargain Alerts, this is for discussion in general

Should I use a VPN?
    It seems fairly common place to use one nowadays. You can get VPN unlimited on a stack social deal for a lifetime price of $15. It auto runs when you start your firestick. It also allows you to watch UK catchup channels. You can easily change between US and UK as necessary.
    If you are getting an error, ensure it is the US streaming picked and not a random US city.
    A VPN gets around geoblocking e.g. You take the firestick on holidays to Italy. RTE player won't work as you are not in Ireland. The VPN makes the firestick think it's in Ireland and then RTE player works.

Do you have a link for the $15 lifetime offer? I can only see it for $39.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,643 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Sorry, I know this was discussed before but if someone could give me a concise, definitive steps for getting Premiership matches I'd greatly appreciate it!

answering this question from the BA thread.

I signed up with NBC sports but it's a rigmarole.

You need a VPN service (which I already had). Set your VPN to the US, sign up with NBC sports, they're showing all the remaining PL matches for $10.

However - in order to watch the matches live, you have to link your NBC account to a cable TV service account (I don't know why, you just do). I signed up with Fubo.TV as they have a 7 day free trial, then I immediately cancelled it. How long it will take NBC to realise my Fubo account is inactive, we'll see.

You'll also need to sideload the NBC sports app onto your Firestick - I haven't tried this yet, I watched the City-Arsenal match on Wednesday on my laptop. Finally you need to have the VPN active when watching the matches so NBC think you're in the states.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭funnyname

loyatemu wrote: »
    answering this question from the BA thread.

I signed up with NBC sports but it's a rigmarole.

You need a VPN service (which I already had). Set your VPN to the US, sign up with NBC sports, they're showing all the remaining PL matches for $10.

However - in order to watch the matches live, you have to link your NBC account to a cable TV service account (I don't know why, you just do). I signed up with Fubo.TV as they have a 7 day free trial, then I immediately cancelled it. How long it will take NBC to realise my Fubo account is inactive, we'll see.

You'll also need to sideload the NBC sports app onto your Firestick - I haven't tried this yet, I watched the City-Arsenal match on Wednesday on my laptop. Finally you need to have the VPN active when watching the matches so NBC think you're in the states.

Did you use revolut for the sign up or did an Irish card work for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,643 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

funnyname wrote: »
    Did you use revolut for the sign up or did an Irish card work for you?

N26, German mastercard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭batistuta9

You only have to pay if you want to watch the matches on shown on gold or the replays.
    Most game are on the broadcast channels which is why you need the TV provider.
    https://soccer.nbcsports.com/2020/06/18/nbc-sports-premier-league-schedule/

Changing your Amazon account to the US will let you download the NBC sports app.

A great find by IrishHomer ðŸ‘

IPTV sub for Premier League matches sounds a lot less hassle than jumping through those hoops.

At the end of the day, Sky/BT etc have the rights for matches in the UK and Ireland. Using any other service isn't entirely legal, so if you're going down that road than you might as well just use an IPTV service.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,372 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Basil3 wrote: »
    IPTV sub for Premier League matches sounds a lot less hassle than jumping through those hoops.

At the end of the day, Sky/BT etc have the rights for matches in the UK and Ireland. Using any other service isn't entirely legal, so if you're going down that road than you might as well just use an IPTV service.

There's a thin line between breaking T&Cs and stealing. Using a US provider who has paid for the rights is getting around T&Cs, similar to watching US netflix or the old days of getting sat feed from Africa with the games on it. But not illegal. Using a service that doesn't pay any rights is illegal and obviously can't be discussed on boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

loyatemu wrote: »
    Essentially the ability to watch NBCSN on a firestick app is dependent on you having a paid US cable TV subscription and the validation from a cable TV provider is part of their verification process that you are actually in the US

I have downloaded about 30 other US TV apps onto my firestick this week and it's all the same validation process. I'm cancelling my Fubo 7 day trial tonight so I'll see if I lose access to any of these other apps

There's a thin line between breaking T&Cs and stealing. Using a US provider who has paid for the rights is getting around T&Cs, similar to watching US netflix or the old days of getting sat feed from Africa with the games on it. But not illegal. Using a service that doesn't pay any rights is illegal and obviously can't be discussed on boards.

I agree, there's a fine line. Sky will only bother chasing the big boys that are flouting the T's and C's. If their subs drastically dropped by people subscribing in other countries and using VPN's to access content they have paid for exclusive rights to, you can guarantee Sky would be doing something about it.

Anyhoo, this is dragging the thread off topic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,372 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Ohmeha wrote: »
    Essentially the ability to watch NBCSN on a firestick app is dependent on you having a paid US cable TV subscription and the validation from a cable TV provider is part of their verification process that you are actually in the US

I have downloaded about 30 other US TV apps onto my firestick this week and it's all the same validation process. I'm cancelling my Fubo 7 day trial tonight so I'll see if I lose access to any of these other apps

Tubi and Pluto don't require any verification. IMDB is just amazon prime for free in US with ads

Tubi and Pluto don't require any verification. IMDB is just amazon prime for free in US with ads
    Yeah any non-TV channel app doesn't require validation, anything for the likes of NBC, ABC, Fox, Comedy Central, Discovery etc. have this process

Ohmeha wrote: »
    So I have cancelled my Fubo TV 7 day trial and I have immediately lost access to a number of the 30 or so US TV apps I downloaded to my firestick, but thankfully NBC Sports Network is still one of the few working

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭applejunkie

I cant seem to sign up for the Fubo tv . It tells me I've been blocked straight away and tells me to turn my vpn off if I'm using one . Any way around it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,757 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Has anyone tried VPNsecure on the firestick by any chance?

Anyone used any vpn with their stick so far?

just put vpn on mine yesterday but havent used it yet tbh

just put vpn on mine yesterday but havent used it yet tbh

Let us know how it goes please!

Anyone used any vpn with their stick so far?

Have used VPN unlimited for years. 2 lifetime subs so 10 separate devices at any time. Use it on both my Firesticks without issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Abiya041

Hey would anyone be able to help me here. So I ordered a firestick off amazon and I want to know if I can connect it to my monitor via hdmi and get sound out through the monitor. The monitor has audio output (3.5mm jack). Would the sound from the fire stick come out through speakers that I connected to the monitor or would I have to use Bluetooth speakers to get sound out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭reddevilfan

Where is the cheapest ace to get the FS. I cant seem to find any in argos

I put my tv subs on them and they work like a dream especially now the footy is back

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

I put my tv subs on them and they work like a dream especially now the footy is back

Currys or Amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,498 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Amazon generally. They were on sale last week for a few days, no use I know but keep an eye out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭This is it

They're on sale intermittently. Keep an eye on Bargain Alerts, usually posted there

Haven't seen the 4K for a decent price for a good while. The standard one has been on sale constantly over the last few months, but I wouldn't bother with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭IrlJidel

Basil3 wrote: »
    Haven't seen the 4K for a decent price for a good while. The standard one has been on sale constantly over the last few months, but I wouldn't bother with that.

4K has 10stg off at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭tipperaryboy

Netflix not remembering which episode previously playing , automatically plays first episode.
    Thus occurs eg when give voice command

• Registered Users Posts: 7,327 ✭✭✭bladespin

Abiya041 wrote: »
    Hey would anyone be able to help me here. So I ordered a firestick off amazon and I want to know if I can connect it to my monitor via hdmi and get sound out through the monitor. The monitor has audio output (3.5mm jack). Would the sound from the fire stick come out through speakers that I connected to the monitor or would I have to use Bluetooth speakers to get sound out.

Connects via HDMI so sound goes through that.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Abiya041

bladespin wrote: »
    Connects via HDMI so sound goes through that.

But what if the monitor does not have speakers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,327 ✭✭✭bladespin

Abiya041 wrote: »
    But what if the monitor does not have speakers?
    Ah, apols, though it was an input question, yes, the sound will come via the audio out to your speakers.

Advertisement