Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Power Tables

Options
  • 14-11-2019 9:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭

See on stickybottle there is an article on a power table produced by premier endurance. Sample for now is small.

I've attached it along with the standard US based power table that you find everywhere on the web.

For those who race and have been using PMs a while how well do you think they reflect the reality of Irish racing ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,630 ✭✭✭✭dahat

I wonder would PE update that for end of 2019 as I'm sure they have a bigger pool of riders now.

Looking at the table there isn't much between A3/A4 but it's sustained & repeatability of efforts is the main difference for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Raymzor

See on stickybottle there is an article on a power table produced by premier endurance. Sample for now is small.

I've attached it along with the standard US based power table that you find everywhere on the web.

For those who race and have been using PMs a while how well do you think they reflect the reality of Irish racing ?

Where is the “premier” table from. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Raymzor wrote: »
    Where is the “premier” table from. Thanks

Got the image from the article on sticky bottle. Have a read there for background.

Reading between the lines I gather some of premiers figures come from long term analysis of rider data and are from race efforts.

For me highest figures for these interval lengths always occur when doing targeted training tests. In the global table I suspect they use rider data from similar tests and this could partially explain why these figures are in some cases higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Plastik

Broadly true for me. Racing A2 and I'd consider myself very comfortable in an A2 field. I haven't done much racing in the last 18 months but would be quietly confident in picking up some results if there were more A2 only races around. I'd break all the A2 numbers and be very close to some of the A1, but further away on others. Again, that's a snap shot analysis taken when riders are fresh, repeatability is the key, particularly after 4 hours racing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

I'm not great with the whole watts thing for testing tbh. All I know is that my test results weren't great and my weight made them worse. lol. But, I have an anomaly in mine where my 5 second and 1 minute were in one category and then 5-minute hit three categories higher.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

I'm not great with the whole watts thing for testing tbh. All I know is that my test results weren't great and my weight made them worse. lol. But, I have an anomaly in mine where my 5 second and 1 minute were in one category and then 5-minute hit three categories higher.

Nope. Further research concludes that’s not an anomoly. That’s the norm? Open to correction on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,079 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Spot on for me at 5, 20 and 60 min power.

Bambaata wrote: »
    Spot on for me at 5, 20 and 60 min power.

You're an A1 rider and referring to the premier figures ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,079 ✭✭✭Bambaata

You're an A1 rider and referring to the premier figures ?

Yup. Im woeful in the shorter efforts but decent at longer.

A quick scan of my files i see ive hit about the following (not thoroughly validated as my weight has been estimated for some although my weight doesnt vary much)
    1min - 7.8w/kg
    5min - 6w/kg
    20min - 4.8w/kg
    60min - 4.2w/kg

I cant sprint to save my live though. I dont even get near the A4 cat there! I see to fall under Premier's more so that the other

Yes the other has mid range A1's with an FTP of 5 W/KG which even for gods like you guys (from an A3 perspective ;) )seems excessive.

At club racing in Shannon you sometimes get a couple of good A1's . From what I remember you would often see an average power for the hour from them on Strava in the region of 320W . They would be bigger guys and this would be closer to 4 than 5

• Advertisement
Advertisement