Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How is this not considered impersonating a Garda?

• 02-05-2019 4:48pm

I'm still not fully sure if it's a joke article or not, but this article came my way via ads on Facebook earlier.

https://www.joe.ie/life-style/male-female-garda-tracksuit-667405

Limerick-based rapper MXSE (pronounced as Mace), AKA Mason Roche, caused a small stir in Irish fashion circles earlier this year when unveiling a Garda tracksuit, a simple yet eye-catching design inspired by the Garda cars you see on Irish roads on a daily basis.

Gardaí are aware of the existence of the tracksuits... the new designs sport a logo that reads ‘Garda’ but are not in any way associated with An Garda Síochána, thus avoiding accusations of impersonating a Garda being directed at those wearing it.

So I can stick GARDA, and some battenburg on my car, but the Gardai can't do me for impersonating a Garda because I'm not actually associated with An Garda Siochana?

The navy version of the tracksuit could easily pass for an official uniform (actually looks better than the official uniform). If some doddery ould one opened her door to two fellas dressed in that, I'm confident she'd think it was actual Gardai at her door.

They're even using the crest, for feck sake?! :confused:

garda9.jpg

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,164 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

If they are not attempting to pass themselves off as a Gard, nor claim to be one, I don't see how it can be considered impersonation. The actual legislation states:
    " (1) A person is guilty of an offence if he or she—

(a) impersonates a member of the Garda Síochána, or

(b) makes any statement or does any act calculated falsely to suggest that he or she is such a member."

If they're not wearing any clothing in service with the Gardai, I don't see how it matches up with (a). The use of the crest strikes me as being a trademark / copyright issue. The US government has trademarked the US Army star, for example, so can legally only be sold on approved clothing (But does not imply that the wearer is a member of the Army).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

LAPD/NYPD t-shirts, baseball caps, hoodie, rain jackets can be seen all over New York and LA by tourists etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

This guy is a serious attention-seeker.
    Probably had a very unhappy youth and suffers with low esteem.

If they are not attempting to pass themselves off as a Gard, nor claim to be one, I don't see how it can be considered impersonation. The actual legislation states:
    " (1) A person is guilty of an offence if he or she—

(a) impersonates a member of the Garda Síochána

Is that not contradictory? Surely by simply wearing of the logo in itself is impersonating a member of AGS? There are certain designs that might pass as being obvious fan-wear, but a stitched logo on the chest is very borderline misleading. As far as I am aware, unlike certain Police Departments in the US, there isn't any official usage of the Garda logo, with the exception of certain allowable memorabilia, like the cars made by Motor Max?

There's a story here from 2007 about clothing and the logo, but I can't find a follow up.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/inquiry-into-use-of-garda-logo-on-merchandise-1.948028

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

washman3 wrote: »
    This guy is a serious attention-seeker.
    Probably had a very unhappy youth and suffers with low esteem.

Plus he needs a haircut. Get rid of that attention seeking Mullet.

• Advertisement
Advertisement