Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Things you don't see in GAA anymore

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

A full 10 aside U12 team piling out of the back of one of the Fiat Fiorino van in town leagues! :)

How we didnt suffocate! :D

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQRl6Pk49nvJXkoTesE5HUEvlfFvhu86dTpfY6zAVBaSaRcjFKi

• Registered Users Posts: 21,092 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Cow sh1te on pitches.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Exiled1

Hairy jerseys.
    These were made of wool and were wonderful at soaking rain and sweat.
    They were rarely washed because of danger of shrinkage. Subs jerseys were never washed!
    On warm days, it was difficult to choose between the pong and the itch as to which was more awful.
    Thankfully they had disappeared by the early eighties.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,078 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Tidy corner forwards with jerseys 3 sizes too big

Or full forward with one size too small a jersey and shorts two sizes too small just to show how big a crack of an ar** he had.
    If Mayo ever get over the line, you can be damn sure there'll be a return of Plan B.

I know some lads that have sworn not alone to invade but they plan on taking a bit of a souvenir of the occasion.
    PARlance wrote: »
    Cow sh1te on pitches.

Alright if dry in summer, not so nice if fresh.
    Trust me on that.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

PARlance wrote:
    Cow sh1te on pitches.

It's horse sh1t in Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 relgoog

Mikasa gloves

• Registered Users Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

PARlance wrote:
    Cow sh1te on pitches.

Stoner wrote:

It'll be pure sh1te if anything like last year's super 8s

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Gael85

Stoner wrote: »

I played a match in Killanarden recently and it was rabbit **** on the pitch :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭davegilly

BloodyBill wrote: »
    2. Swaying in the crowd at the old Pairc Ui Chaoimh and the fear of losing in Munster

Many is the great day we had down in the Pairc - place packed to the rafters. Repeat the following year down in Killarney. Great games. Unlikely or more than likely never to be repeated unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,041 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

delaad wrote: »
    Banners with, sometimes, witty comments on them,.....as at Down 93 final,

"The man in front is Mickey Linden"

I'm not sure,but think this one was on Hill 16 probably in 1984,

"Brian Mullins lays on more balls than Joanne Hayes"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 Conorbarry1984

Everyone from the under 12/14/16s arriving at training on their bikes from all over the parish, not a one these days

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

Rasputin11 wrote: »
    Who was the minor football OBL?

TIPPERARY MINOR FOOTBALLER Aidan Buckley

Look him up back in 2015

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Gael85

Everyone from the under 12/14/16s arriving at training on their bikes from all over the parish, not a one these days

Kids driven everywhere by parents now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

You see it a bit these days but not as often as years ago......auld fellas with the match program open on the page with the teams named, marking/ticking the scores and wides a player gets during a game

Stupid nick names on players is becoming rare also, ‘bubbles o’dwyer’ is probably the only one of the top players these days with one

Guys using term ‘slap-ball’ or ‘Schlap-bail’ depending on part of country you are from. Could/can never fully understand what the eff a slap ball means...? Can anyone enlighten me after all these years

Pat shortt/ John Kenny type underage coaches.....foaming at the mouth on the side line and false teeth continuously falling out

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Fifty grades of shay.

Road-Hog wrote: »
    You see it a bit these days but not as often as years ago......auld fellas with the match program open on the page with the teams named, marking/ticking the scores and wides a player gets during a game

Stupid nick names on players is becoming rare also ‘bubbles o’dwyer’ is probably the only one of the top players these days

Guys using term ‘slap-ball’ or ‘Schlap-bail’ depending on part of country you are from

That's me, I like my own little stats.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,092 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Cow sh1te on pitches.
    Stoner wrote: »

Let's not forget the sheep either! Sheep sh1te wasn't nearly as bad as the cows though.

There was a farm (with terrible land) adjoining our pitch back in the day and the fence was never as tight as the farmer. Regular gaps for the animals to get through would appear fairly regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

....the British Army commandeering GAA grounds...

https://www.rte.ie/archives/2019/0306/1034611-british-army-to-leave-gaa-grounds/

Hard to believe 20 years has passed.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,041 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Cow sh1te on pitches.

Great one.

And getting it in the face

• Registered Users Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭thesultan

shockframe wrote: »
    Puma Kings. Worn by about 2/3 of players from the late 80s to the late 00s.

Now rarely worn by anyone in a big match.
    Brick walsh

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Let's not forget the sheep either! Sheep sh1te wasn't nearly as bad as the cows though.

There was a farm (with terrible land) adjoining our pitch back in the day and the fence was never as tight as the farmer. Regular gaps for the animals to get through would appear fairly regularly.

I think in Dublin with park pitches it's dog sh1te unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Gentleman Off The Pitch

Long sleeve jerseys
    Hurlers with shin guards
    Toweling on hurls

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

The conventional sideline, maybe i'm totally wrong but i remember it being very rare that lads would score from a sideline, seems to happen in most games now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Great one.

And getting it in the face

As a Dub you knew you were in Indian territory when you were playing on spiral cow pats in grass half a foot long.

Stars of Erin, Marys of Saggart, Margarets, Boden (before they became all posh) we're looking at you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭arctictree

Remember playing a hurling match in the 90s with big cow pats in the field. Sliothar landed in one and the **** was flying from lads pulling!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭youngblood

No sleeve Jerseys..you know who you are....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Buses to away games, everybody drives now-a-days!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Davys Fits wrote: »
    Kilkenny throwing Liam Mc Cup into the boot of the car.

Wicklow locking referees in the boot of the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

John Mullane "I love me county" style interviews with a mob of people going mental behind him. Now days its all "Oh sure there a good side and they put it up to us and thankfully we got over the line".....

Some of the above are better off that you don't see them any more!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Pre-Christmas National League games.

Lads playing football with one glove.

Mikasa football gloves (the yellow cloth ones with the black dots).

Lads wearing their own shorts rather than the standard issue ones (although Brick Walsh always wears two pairs).

Auld lads sitting in the stand with a small radio held up to their ear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭arctictree

hardybuck wrote: »

Lads wearing their own shorts rather than the standard issue ones (although Brick Walsh always wears two pairs).

An older player in our club refused to wear the club jersey when sponsorship first came in (he had his own non sponsor jersey). 'I'm not wearing some gangsters name across my chest' was his reasoning. Got away with it too until he retired. You got to admire someone with principles!

Advertisement