Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

People coming into work when they're ill

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭ Kashton Hundreds Laborer

jester77 wrote: »
    Of course, but it's not as black and white as people are making out here. Some people might not have optimal situations for recovering at home.

That doesn't excuse going into work with something really contagious and passing it on to everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

I had strep throat a couple of years ago and was out of work for about a week. Bad infection, could barely stand up or walk, it was really horrible. I ignored it for a couple of days as I didn't want to pay a GP, but by the time I got to a doctor they said I was close to being hospitalised. When I lived in England you can see a GP for free whenever you want, there's been times where I'm hard up for cash here so I don't go to a doctor, or I ignore things that I should probably get checked out. Then people on the dole get doctors for free... Not really fair is it?

Yes ,indeed.Tell me about it.When I moved here first I walked out a couple of times without paying...only to get the bill a a couple of days later :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

Yup. Happens in my mates job. You're given a certain amount of days and then told to use them. IIRC, it's a set number of days given over two years in his job.

But your not ordered to take them! You're just told how many you have left and better to use them as you will lose them.

Wouldn't say corrosive tradition at all (don't know where you got that from) it's just people have days they are entitled too and they should use them up.

I just don't understand this way of doing things. If you are sick, you take sick days and never mind a limit. If you have a quota of potential sick days and you are told you could lose them if they are not taken, do you go and get sick by getting someone to sneeze on you? Do you hurl yourself down some steps to ensure you can be sick on specific days? It just seems a bit premeditated to me.

To my mind it encourages you to claim you're sick when you are fine. Maybe someone can explain how it is supposed to work in real life, because the scenario I'm imagining right now seems wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Steve F wrote: »
    Yes ,indeed.Tell me about it.When I moved here first I walked out a couple of times without paying...only to get the bill a a couple of days later :o

You are in the UK? Sorry; confused. I lived there until 15 years ago and am English and never a bill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

Graces7 wrote: »
    You are in the UK? Sorry; confused. I lived there until 15 years ago and am English and never a bill.

I think Steve means he moved to Ireland, and forgot he didn't have free healthcare!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 wherearemykeys

We get three paid sick days per year. If you are sick for longer than that, you dont get paid.
    Saying that, I am in the lucky position where I can work from home if I am unwell so not the end of the world. Also, I have my own office so i dont let anyone who is in any way complainging of an illness into my office. We online message!!

Dont get me started on parents who continue to send their children into creches when they are very unwell, thus infecting every other child who comes into contact with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

We get three paid sick days per year. If you are sick for longer than that, you dont get paid.
    Saying that, I am in the lucky position where I can work from home if I am unwell so not the end of the world. Also, I have my own office so i dont let anyone who is in any way complainging of an illness into my office. We online message!!

Dont get me started on parents who continue to send their children into creches when they are very unwell, thus infecting every other child who comes into contact with them.

Seems to be two takes on the three day thing. Some places seem to require a note if you are out for more than three days in one go. Other places just have the three days allowed in total which seems a bit inhumane.

The parents thing is tricky. Your kid is sick, not you. How is this classified in work? Is it a holiday? Or a sick day?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

check_six wrote: »
    Seems to be two takes on the three day thing. Some places seem to require a note if you are out for more than three days in one go. Other places just have the three days allowed in total which seems a bit inhumane.

The parents thing is tricky. Your kid is sick, not you. How is this classified in work? Is it a holiday? Or a sick day?

Force majeure?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Don't know how it works in Ireland but where I am the parents get 10 days each per child per year and it gets classified as a child sick day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

I think Steve means he moved to Ireland, and forgot he didn't have free healthcare!

Correct..sorry for confusion :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

We work on appointments and 80% of clients will only want to go to a specific staff member. So, of course if someone is unwell then they can't help that and once they call in well re organise their day, call clients to re schedule with original sick staff member or move them to another column. It was harder for me to do that because there was nobody I could ring, I was the one people would ring. You would need someone there if there was an issue.

Do you not think you're being very unfair on your clients by continuing to work on them knowing you're sick? There's no way you are working at peak efficiency and you're risking passing on what you have to them as well.

We've a small team in work and if you're sick you're told to stay at home. One being sick is bad enough, two is extremely hard to manage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭red ears

Stay at home for goodness sake, what is the big deal with everyone so work obsessed. Whats it all for really in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Happened to me before Christmas, a girl on my team came in with a really bad cold and I ended up sick for almost three weeks because it got deep into my lungs. Its just stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

I think someone who is self employed or runs their own business is a hell of a lot less likely to take a day off sick.
    It is more than just a job for them. That's not necessarily a good thing but very understandable.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭infogiver

Don't know how it works in Ireland but where I am the parents get 10 days each per child per year and it gets classified as a child sick day.

Good Lord
    Nothing like that here.
    Force majeur leave if your "prescence" cannot be done without
    3 days in a 12 month period or 5 days in 36 months
    Plus you have to initially go without pay and then write to your employer when you return to work "requesting " the force majeure
    It feels like begging
    Then there's parental leave which is confined to children under 8 and more importantly, unpaid with no entitlement to SW
    There's no legislation either to cover compassionate leave, or even sick leave/pay
    A lot of people presume there is

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

SB_Part2 wrote: »
    Do you not think you're being very unfair on your clients by continuing to work on them knowing you're sick? There's no way you are working at peak efficiency and you're risking passing on what you have to them as well.

We've a small team in work and if you're sick you're told to stay at home. One being sick is bad enough, two is extremely hard to manage.

Got a massage & facial from a girl sniffling away in my face with a cold once.
    I got the cold afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

bluewolf wrote: »
    Got a massage & facial from a girl sniffling away in my face with a cold once.
    I got the cold afterwards.

I can't imagine anyone enjoying a massage from someone who was sniffling. I'd ask for someone else. Especially since you're in such close contact with the person.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

I work in the HSE, they could really do with a culture of sick leave being frowned on. You do have to be careful when you work in a hospital and the majority of patients are elderly though, but sick leave is pushed to the extreme and puts such a huge strain on everyone. Quite a number of pisstakers around. And then there's the long term sick leave that's not covered..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Force majeure?

I would assume force majeure is for more serious stuff. I've only ever took it when my kid was in hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

Wow would love that!
    I have to take certified sick days if I.m out or if kids are sick/ has hospital appointment. Do have some self certified days i coukd technically take but its frowned upon big time. Have one child with multiple diagnosis at this stage and it's tough going. Trying to organise appointments to coincide with AL is a pain and then everything gets buggered up if he is hospitalised. Haven't used force majore (yet!)

I'm currently battling sore throat for the past two weeks - lost my voice last week which given I depend on it for work was a pain. I've been self medicating with honey paracetamol and on gp advice neurofen but it's viral so no antibiotic required. There's no sign of improvement two weeks on though - it's annoying but liveable with

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭westcoast66

As a parent of two young children, I can't waste sick days on myself. Whenever the kids are sick, I basically take a sick day. When I'm sick, they still have to be dressed, fed and brought to school/creche. I may as well go to work at that stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭ Eliana Rancid Network

SB_Part2 wrote: »

If you read my post I said when I'm unwell with something I caught I go in and stay in my office, if I'm unwell with conditions I have, I won't cancel my clients.

• bluewolf wrote: »
    There's so many people who boast about never having taken a sick day and then you just feel like a total loser

Never having needed to take a sick day is not exactly a big achievement though, it looks impressive but can also just mean you've been very lucky with your health. I'd think anyone who actually boasts about that is a total loser tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭Goya

Let me guess. Private sector begrudger, always looking for an excuse to bash the public sector, even if it means completely distorting posts to try and make your invalid point?
    I'm private sector and get no sick pay but I still wholeheartedly agree with you!

There seems to be a bit of a false dichotomy on this thread - either literally unable to get out of the bed or a sniffle, no in-between. If a person phones in sick once or twice a year with a bad cold that requires bed rest (and which could get worse if they don't get said rest - and which is contagious, and might manifest itself more severely in others), that is not phoning in sick because of every little sniffle. The only people who will get a reputation for phoning in sick because of every little sniffle... are people who phone in sick because of every little sniffle! And they're the exception in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I just don't understand this way of doing things. If you are sick, you take sick days and never mind a limit. If you have a quota of potential sick days and you are told you could lose them if they are not taken, do you go and get sick by getting someone to sneeze on you? Do you hurl yourself down some steps to ensure you can be sick on specific days? It just seems a bit premeditated to me.

To my mind it encourages you to claim you're sick when you are fine. Maybe someone can explain how it is supposed to work in real life, because the scenario I'm imagining right now seems wrong.

Well there is a bit of a confusion with this whole thing.... Even I added to it earlier.

Generally you get two types of days: uncertified and certified. You are openly told to use your USL's (uncertified sick leave) because if you don't use them they go. These you are entitled too and you would be mad not to take them. But it's a person's choice.

The other are a certain amount of sick days you get each year/two years. A bad idea to be constantly using them up and you can even be brought in to hr if you are using them all up weeks after been issued them.

The confusion happens to people outside these jobs that you are told to use your sick days. In reality you are reminded to use your usl's.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

I can't understand people talking about going in work with a stomach bug?seriously if you have a proper stomach bug you will in no way make work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

I have MS so it really p!sses me off when sick people come into work. I catch anything going as my immune system is compromised. As well as having to fight off an infection, my MS symptoms flare up and it makes walking and using my hand very tough. AND I don't get sick pay.

Stay home yiz selfish feckers!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,289 ✭✭✭dresden8

Someone has been in work doing the dying swan all over the place for the past couple of days. Their area is not particularly busy, she will be paid if she stays off work, there will be no issue made of it. But no, she insisted on coming in, coughing and sneezing all over the place, looking all pale and miserable, and telling us all how awful she felt.

She is now out and on antibiotics, but a couple of other people who work in the same room as her are starting to feel shivery and one girl is getting a scratchy throat and generally people are annoyed that this woman didn't just stay at home out of people's way.

I understand that sometimes it can be difficult to stay at home when you're sick (won't be paid, unreasonable employer or somesuch). But in circumstances such as the above, why can't people use common sense and stay at home and not spread their germs all over the place?

When the flu pandemic comes they won't be employee martyr of the month.

Those stupid bastards will kill us all.

I only miss work if I literally cannot get out of bed or am admitted to hospital. I've stayed in work after passing out, I've stayed when I caught the vomiting bug, and ive gone to work and had my GP ring me with results of blood tests so serious she a) was shocked I was in work and b) ordered me to hospital straight away. I've gone in for a half day just until I could organise cover for myself after no sleep being up all night after taking a morphine tablet.

In my job, I have no choice but to go, we run our day right and everyone needs to pull their weight. In my old job I held the keys so had to be there to open and close, and deal with any problems that came up, organising rotas/cover. That couldn't be done from home.

I am the kind of person who needs to keep going. If I stop, and start feeling sorry for myself that's the last thing I need. I'm the kind of person that only responds positively to tough love. Kid gloves and sympathy leaves me feeling sorry for myself and I'll feel worse for it.

When you get really sick you will kill all your workmates.

How will that affect the company's KPIs?

• Advertisement

When I'm very ill I'll be holed up in my office but that requires me going in, organising cover, cancelling and moving appointments, being available for difficult clients, complaints, orders, problems. If I'm not contagious and just unwell with my condition, I'll stay working directly with clients. I managed in my last job so it was always my problem to sort if I wasn't going in, so it was easier to go and sort it. Now I'm my own boss so I have no choice

If your company will fall apart if you take a couple of days off you should probably be paid more.

Advertisement