Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

It’s impossible to drive at the speed limit without being overtaken or in some cases undertaken - the bus lanes around where I live are favourite. No matter what it is - 50kph or 120kph - you’ll have some clown up yer ass.

My own record for someone speeding past me is 87kph in a 50kph zone while cycling into rathoath in co Meath. The red flashing “slow down” didn’t seem to deter that particular motorist early that Sunday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭hesker

When I drive to work I travel on a section of narrow road with a 50kph limit. By the time I get to the end of it having driven at the limit there is a train of cars behind me and not a car to be seen in front. I’d say I’m much loved by my fellow commuters

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Garzard

Meant to post this from October but didn't get around to it. Not the worst near miss but the ****hole in front of me ran the red, forcing the taxi at the left to brake hard and beep (well deserved). It happened in reverse then when the white Toyota Prius almost cut in front of me when my green light came. That said, although the audio is poor he did apologise saying he mistimed the lights somehow.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,117 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Came in contact with a car this morning, but luckily managed to stay upright.

I was at the centre line slowing down to turn right from a major to a minor road. No traffic in either direction, but a driver came to a stop on the minor road as I approached. She actually overshot the stop line (front two wheels over it), which is fairly common for that junction - when I cycle the opposite direction I make sure I'm out of the hard shoulder at that particular spot.

I started to turn and at the same time she moved forward. I let a roar and she braked. The outside of my right foot ended up brushing the front corner of her bumper. The driver's window was down and I heard her apologise. Managed to correct myself and avoided ending up in the hedge.

Still not sure which way the driver was going (no indicator). It's possible she was turning left and looking only right while edging forward. Or maybe she was going right, saw both ways as clear but didn't see me directly in front of her. The sun was up (not blinding either of us), I had lights on, and was wearing a brightly coloured jersey.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,362 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

His own fault - he wasn't wearing hi-vis.

I can understand his outrage given he's Italian and recent training collisions for them, poor Pozzovivo earlier this year, head on and uncertain future and Scarponi paying the ultimate price in 2017.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Kander

This mornings fun was from a lane drifter in a van. Had to bang on the side to remind him/her I was still there.

https://streamable.com/0fabj

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

Idleater wrote: »
    Was that car "indicating" right?

The swan neck? :rolleyes:

Nope look again, a car has stopped just in front of him with its ass out as its bullying into the right lane. The bmw then swerves to go around the cars ass hence the pull - he/she did not look in mirror prior to doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

Aircoach broke the lights and continued through at North Wall Quay at the Samuel Beckett Bridge crossing this morning.

- Lights go red for car traffic
    - Light goes green for bicycle traffic
    - Wreckless Aircoach driver continues on and slams on in the middle of the junction
    - Much cursing and blinding from everyone

It seems like this is a hotspot due to the distance between ped/bicycle crossings. When I got to work I was wondering what can be done here, do I call the Guards? do I need footage? or do I just bitch on boards..

All the coaches go up the bus lane going northbound over the bridge - no problem there, however the bus lane is a left turn only. The coaches then bully all c=(cars and bikes) to pull onto traffic as they go over the junction.

This is EVERY, SINGLE, TIME.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Sitting in middle lane at lights across from Cornmarket Insurance (By Christchurch). I’m turning right towards St Patrick’s and as lights go green I very clearly indicate my intention. Very clearly. Arm out. Audi Q8 in right turn only lane comes barreling straight through. Luckily I always watch behind me and managed to just about avoid him. Car behind me must have seen as they didn’t honk as I was a little unsteady trying to recover. Was going to continue right but I was really really shaken and basically lost it and chased him down towards College Green. He was on the phone when I knocked on his window. I was calm and he was shocked. But not sure there was a lesson learned.

My closest in ten years I’d say.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

I present Good Pass

495581.JPG

and Bad pass.

495582.JPG

Not posting a video as I've rang trafficwatch and made a complaint.

What compels someone to overtake on a speedbump, with a traffic calming island.

It's sad my battery died shortly after as I also saw a car break a set of lights at bushy park as they were turning shortly afterwards, and another car breaking a red light and crawling though a junction with pedestrian green lights in rathgar..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,085 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

I have been out of the country since thr new law came into force Judging by the continued number of posts on this thread, its deressing to see absolute no change in close pass frequency. I just wonder when we will get a figure on the number of motorists that got the fixed charge fine and points for the new offence. Its all about policing and enforcement of laws and my experience of both is they are not encouraging.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭micar

Had an elderly woman turn right as I approaching.

She wasn't evening looking. She was half way through the junction before she stopped......idiot.

Not a near miss......but two cars ignoring unmarked garda car with sirens blaring

Had an unpleasant incident with van driver who took exception to me taking the lane as I approaching a right turn into my office.

When he pulled along side me with the window down he hurled abuse at me.....camera didn't pick it up.

I emailed his employer over the weekend to make him aware of what happened. His employer turns out to be recreational cyclist. He said he was going to speak to his employee.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Had a near miss in the slip lane that goes past the Spa Hotel on the N4. Idiot driver coming from Dodsboro decided to stare to their left as they pulled out not looking at me coming towards him at about 45km/h.
    I screamed at him as I'm passing the side and front of the car but he didn't turn his head.
    No idea how I wasn't hit to be honest.
    He obviously saw me after I passed and kept his distance until he got the courage to pass me outside the car dealership.
    Strong flashing front light and usual high viz-crap obviously can't make a cretin driver face traffic as they pull out!
    I'll check the rear camera when in the office tomorrow but reckon it won't show much. Need to get a forward facing camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Well these all make my minor incident seem fairly minor. I’m on the Ballymun Road outbound near the petrol station, in the bus lane (due to the amount of left turns in quick succession there, I’ve started taking the bus lane rather than the cycle lane). White Toyota saloon overtakes in the lane to my right, then pulls straight across me with the indicator on, then stops at a 45 degree angle across the bus lane. I suspect they saw me as they were making the turn. Middle of the day, I’m right in the middle of the lane with a bright green jacket. Still, not as bad as the ones posted above!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,291 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

just past there, i've had issues (while i'm headed outbound) with people heading inbound, but swinging right off ballymun road onto canice's road, and who simply don't have their radar on to detect cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

just past there, i've had issues (while i'm headed outbound) with people heading inbound, but swinging right off ballymun road onto canice's road, and who simply don't have their radar on to detect cyclists.
    Yeah I’m counting Canice’s as one of the lefts. Though I haven’t had that happen (yet!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭tnegun

micar wrote: »
    Had an unpleasant incident with van driver who took exception to me taking the lane as I approaching a right turn into my office.

When he pulled along side me with the window down he hurled abuse at me.....camera didn't pick it up.

I emailed his employer over the weekend to make him aware of what happened. His employer turns out to be recreational cyclist. He said he was going to speak to his employee.

Thats shocking behaviour did he clip you with his mirror?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

Almost hit a pedestrian who decided to cross road when signal was
    Red for him and he decided to just look one side before starting to cross...disc brakes to the rescue

Had a near miss in the slip lane that goes past the Spa Hotel on the N4. Idiot driver coming from Dodsboro decided to stare to their left as they pulled out not looking at me coming towards him at about 45km/h.

That junction is lethal for it, even if they see you drivers completely underestimate how fast you're moving. I haven't had a hattrick there yet as I gave up using the bike lane and now avoid the N4 altogether. It is possible that by using the bike lane and timing it just right you can have a full 67x unload 20 or more passengers into the bike lane just before the junction then if you’ve safely avoided them very difficult as 50% will have their heads buried in their phones doing the zombie shuffle immediately after the bike lane re-joins the carriageway just short enough that drivers don’t notice so someone will left hook you if you’ve survived that far then you can be cut up by someone merging inconsiderately! I only ever managed 2/3 but came close on several occasions before I gave up on that stretch

Breezer wrote: »
    Well these all make my minor incident seem fairly minor. I’m on the Ballymun Road outbound near the petrol station, in the bus lane (due to the amount of left turns in quick succession there, I’ve started taking the bus lane rather than the cycle lane). White Toyota saloon overtakes in the lane to my right, then pulls straight across me with the indicator on, then stops at a 45 degree angle across the bus lane. I suspect they saw me as they were making the turn. Middle of the day, I’m right in the middle of the lane with a bright green jacket. Still, not as bad as the ones posted above!

That's a constant in that spot, either the turn for the school before the petrol station or the station itself. If you look back over my posts, my son was nearly knocked down there maybe five years ago by someone breaking a red light on the pedestrian. Hate that route.

tnegun wrote: »
    That junction is lethal for it, even if they see you drivers completely underestimate how fast you're moving. I haven't had a hattrick there yet as I gave up using the bike lane and now avoid the N4 altogether. It is possible that by using the bike lane and timing it just right you can have a full 67x unload 20 or more passengers into the bike lane just before the junction then if you’ve safely avoided them very difficult as 50% will have their heads buried in their phones doing the zombie shuffle immediately after the bike lane re-joins the carriageway just short enough that drivers don’t notice so someone will left hook you if you’ve survived that far then you can be cut up by someone merging inconsiderately! I only ever managed 2/3 but came close on several occasions before I gave up on that stretch

Don't like even using that lane in the car. People just don't check properly and pull out, while those coming on to it from the N4 don't slow down. N4 is a nightmare for dirving anyhow. Insane amount of crashes on it

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭HibernianRunner

Today at around 11.15 am on rathmines rd. lower heading away from town just before st. Mary's college. I was knocked off my bike by a silver car(don't know the make), flying out from a side road. Gave me no chance. I hit him at his left front wheel and went flying off my bike onto the path. The driver didn't stop and drove off. I was shocked. I got up and noticed a taxi across the road. I called out to him "Did you see what just happened?" He said in broken english "I saw, I saw" But he had a passenger he just picked up and drove away. I hadn't the presence of mind to ask for assistance.

So I locked my bike and walked up to the garda station in rathmines to report what happened. But because I did not get the reg of the car that hit me nor the reg of the taxi who saw the incident that it was a slim chance they would be caught. They would check if there was any CCTV footage.

Anyway it was while talking to the garda that the pain started to hit me in my left arm which had taking most of the brunt of the fall. I had to get an ambulance to St. James after initially turning it down thinking I was fine. So after around six hours in emergency I got x-rayed. I have a fracture in my left elbow but it should easily heal within 3/4 weeks. I just have to keep it in a sling and take painkillers.

P.S I hope my bike is safe, I locked it outside Swann centre Gym/swimmimg pool. It will be there for a few days I expect.

Jesus sorry to hear that and glad you're ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Ffs the Gardaí in Rathmines are bloody useless. I’ve had 3 incidents now reported to them and nothing came of them. And now youre involved in a hit and run with a fracture and it’s “ah sure look these things happen”. What the **** is wrong with people. Both the unbothered Gardaí and the driver for just heading on. Should have told the Gardaí you were a pedestrian and they’d be out looking for them.

Hope you’re not too sore or out of work for too long. I’d be onto the staff in the pub at that junction yourself enquiring about cctv. I’ve had countless near misses there at rush hour but you’d think at 11am in a clear day you’d be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭HibernianRunner

Thanks for the replies. I am a mature student in Rathmines College, studying full time so am not working. Luckily I am right handed so I can go back on thurs/fri If I feel ok and not miss too much studies. Looking back it was my ruck-sack that took most of blow of the fall. By the way I was wearing a hi-vis ruck-sack cover(flouresnt-yellow) and had my rear light on as well. Also there was a lull in the traffic, so no other cars involved, the road was quiet too. It was just me, and clear as daylight, no traffic lights either. The driver was just completely reckless. I am feeling a lot better thanks to nurofen now. One thing I wasn't wearing a helmet. I think I will in future as the first thing the guards asked was, "was I wearing a helmet?". The Doctors and nurses also kept asking me that as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Ah look hold on a minute. By his own admission the OP says he had absolutely no details whatsoever and then had to go in an ambulance. What do you expect them to do, take a statement in the ambulance? All he has to do is call back and report it properly and make a statement. If by then there's no action then fair enough but your comment is completely OTT.

I wish you well in your recovery Hibernian Runner

He said “ But because I did not get the reg of the car that hit me nor the reg of the taxi who saw the incident that it was a slim chance they would be caught” and that he was a while with the Garda.

As I said I’ve reported 3 incidents to that station and they’ve had 4K footage provided and still wouldn’t act. Their attitude is absolutely ****e.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement