Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Frame Damaged From defective trainer

• 17-11-2019 11:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭

Hi boards,

Got a new wahoo kickr core yesterday from css. They fitted the cassette for me. This morning after doing the spin down I noticed a piece me metal had been left in between the last two cogs - see pics. This has now gouged two large scraped into the frame. I’m going to bring it all back today and complain, but I am crazy to want the damage to the frame resolved also?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,800 ✭✭✭fat bloke

I can't see anything in the pics except a normal cassette? What's the piece of metal?

Edit - oh right I think I see it, looks like the thin foil-y spacer you get on the clampy bit alright. Bit of a sloppy install. CSS are pretty sound in my experience, be interesting to see what they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

fat bloke wrote: »
    I can't see anything in the pics except a normal cassette? What's the piece of metal?

Between the last cog and the lock ring there is what appears to be a thin sliver of metal about the thickness of a drinks can

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭macken04

On my way there now - hopefully they will resolve. Looked closely at the cut above the axel point and it’s exposed bits of carbon 😢

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Isn't that the thin, wavy washer that sits behind the lock ring? Looks like its come apart when tightened and the bit sticking out has cut into the frame as the OP says.

Is the cassette the OP's own cassette? CSS could argue they did what the OP wanted and claim the thin washer was probably already damaged when they received it for fitting.

However, I still think they should have picked up that issue when they were doing the fitting for the OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

velo.2010 wrote: »
    Isn't that the thin, wavy washer that sits behind the lock ring? Looks like its come apart when tightened and the bit sticking out has cut into the frame as the OP says.

Is the cassette the OP's own cassette? CSS could argue they did what the OP wanted and claim the thin washer was probably already damaged when they received it for fitting.

However, I still think they should have picked up that issue when they were doing the fitting for the OP.

Looks like the wavy washer to me.
    The cassette looks new to me. It seems to me to have been badly installed.

• Advertisement

Bought everything new from them and they installed it. They were nice, but now have to contact Canyon to see if they can arrange for frame to be tested.

To my shock, the assistant manager clamped my frame in the work stand, had to go into their work shop and ask it to clamp the seat post.

I’ll contact canyon and CSS by email tonight. Could just be cosmetic, but would rather it is assessed. CSS said they cannot assess it!!!!

Who will pay for the testing?
    You, C.S.S. or Canyon?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,596 ✭✭✭✭dahat

You will need to pay for the bike to get back to Canyon plus the testing, quite a bill i imagine.

I would also be stunned if CSS stump up even if the frame is compromised.

It’s quite frustrating to say the least. I’d hope it could be tested locally, but if not I’ll discuss with CSS before anything is sent to Canyon. CSS asked that I contact Canyon first so will do.

If the frame is damaged, I’d be hopeful CSS would do the decent thing and reach a remedy with me.

Just gutted really - back to the old hack bike for now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,366 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Have you got a picture of the damage to your frame? I assume it's carbon. I'm guessing the damage is around the drop outs but would these not be allumiunium?

• Advertisement

I have a Canyon Ultimate CF SLX. I've just had a look at it and I don't think it would be possible for OP's cassette, as fitted, to touch my frame. The chain on my bike, when in the 11 sprocket, is closer to the frame than the wavy washer.

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Have you got a picture of the damage to your frame? I assume it's carbon. I'm guessing the damage is around the drop outs but would these not be allumiunium?

Pic there

Eamonnator wrote: »
    I have a Canyon Ultimate CF SLX. I've just had a look at it and I don't think it would be possible for OP's cassette, as fitted, to touch my frame. The chain on my bike, when in the 11 sprocket, is closer to the frame than the wavy washer.

From inspecting it with the guys in CSS it looks like the washer pushed the chain into the frame then, when I hear a bad noise, the sharp part of the washer cut the frame when I removed it from the trainer

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭P2C

Hard to tell how deep the cut is from the picture but carbon will be sprayed normally or painted a couple of coats and a clear coat. Are you able to see a weave or fiber in the material. If not it looks like alu. There are carbon repairers around and I say they would be able to tell you or anybody in a body shop will tell you if it is paint. Unless you know a radiologist and they X-ray the bike. If CSS caused the damage should they not be sending it back

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

i could be wrong but that doesn't look like carbon

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,202 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

macken04 wrote: »
    Pic there

I've done worse from a dropped chain. Chipped a few layers of paint and still going strong 10,000km + later.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭C3PO

I can understand your annoyance and frustration but I don’t think those marks will affect the structural integrity of the frame.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,202 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Also looking at the amount of the thread on the cog its to much relative to the damage of the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭C3PO

I can understand your annoyance and frustration but I don’t think those marks will affect the structural integrity of the frame.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I must be thick but how would the extra metal even come in contact with the frame?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭secman

On a separate note i left a bike in for full service to CSS 3 weeks ago, on my first spin on it, post collection going up a short sharp drag just around the corner from home, out of the saddle and the handlebar just turned 45° whilst wheel remained straight. I was able to turn them with my little finger. Was totally pissed off and to be honest wasnt impressed with the service manager's response and reaction. Won't be leaving any of the bikes in again despite them being literally around the corner from me.

Advertisement