Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Club Championships 2019-20

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭Hawkeye9212

jr86 wrote: »
    The football second half was actually decent enough to watch imo, after an awful first half

Plenty drama and some good hard hits.

Glenties will surely win the Ulster final though

I still thought there was a lot of sloppy play and poor decision making but it was certainly an improvement on the first.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,361 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

I thought I read that if Crokes drew with East Kerry they would have been represented Kerry even if they lost the replay?

Actually I have that whole situation arseways.

Legion were in the final against South Kerry not Crokes. And Dingle had Already won the club Championship. So Legion were nominated instead of Dingle despite the Final not having not taken place. There was big controversy about it. Especially after Legion were beaten in both the Munster Championship and the County Final.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭conor05

Stevecw wrote: »
    Painful to watch. Especially after seeing such an amazing game of hurling before it.

I can never watch a game of football after a game of hurling.
    Way too slow and laboured

• Registered Users Posts: 5,243 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

jr86 wrote:

Not a given by any stretch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

The football second half was actually decent enough to watch imo, after an awful first half

Plenty drama and some good hard hits.

Might be favourites but I wouldn't rule out any team managed by Mickey Moran.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Gael85 wrote:
    The amount of players ducking into tackles and going down holding ther head like they been close lined. Happening in both football and hurling. GAA need to clamp down on this playacting as someday a referee will fail to stop for someone who is genuinely seriously injured.

It's impossible for 1 man to referee a game these days imo, trialling 2 refs should be trialled asap in both football and hurling.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,652 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

It's impossible for 1 man to referee a game these days imo, trialling 2 refs should be trialled asap in both football and hurling.

1 referee, 2 linesman, 4 umpires. Its not more referees that's needed just a bit of communication between those already there.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

1 referee, 2 linesman, 4 umpires. Its not more referees that's needed just a bit of communication between those already there.

People keep on saying this, and while i agree with you in theory , but nothing has changed in terms of level of officiating.

Second ref has to be introduced at this stage

Umpires are usually relatives/friends of the ref and not proper officials in my eyes, fair play they're volunteering but most just want to get through a game without incident and abuse.
    Linesmen at club level are just someone
    from each club so the ref wont trust them, at county level they're referees who want the man in the middles job so are happy to let things go.
    I actually think 2 referee's would remove the need for 4 umpires if they were given a half each

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Because of the relationship between refs and umpires, the ref is sometimes reluctant to embarrass the umpires if they make a bad decision. I do slag them but it is job I dreaded doing as not always easy to tell and worst abuse I got was from own club mates when I called a 45 as a sideline, which it was! Corner forward went to give me a dig :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,763 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Hopefully the weather doesn't affect some of the weekends games

Pitchs in Pairc ui rinn and Fraher field dont hold up well with rain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Hopefully the weather doesn't affect some of the weekends games

Pitchs in Pairc ui rinn and Fraher field dont hold up well with rain

Two of the best surfaces in the province?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Linesman and umpires cannot award a decision afaik during play

• Registered Users Posts: 7,922 ✭✭✭threeball

Linesman and umpires cannot award a decision afaik during play

They can't as it stands but they should be allowed to contact the ref and call his attention to foul play. If players knew there were six sets of eyes on them then they'd be alot more cautious about trying to pull a fast one.

threeball wrote:
    They can't as it stands but they should be allowed to contact the ref and call his attention to foul play. If players knew there were six sets of eyes on them then they'd be alot more cautious about trying to pull a fast one.

That's fine at intercounty but most club games dont have neutral linesmen

• Registered Users Posts: 37,763 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Should they put the Galway senior hurling champs into Leinster and maybe have something like an all Ireland qf with both Munster vs Leinster runners up and winner advances to all Ireland semi finals to face one of the provincial champs ???

Put it simple

Galway champs in Leinster

All ireland QF- Munster runners up vs Leinster runners up

All ireland semi finals (rotates each year)
    Leinster champs vs Ulster champs
    Munster champs vs QF winners

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Or just leave it as is...

With that format Borrisoleigh could lose to ballygunnar tomorrow but play them again in the next round...

I personally think the Galway champs going into a semi is a non issue. It's never proven to give them an obvious advantage . Galway is a huge county in itself anyway with a large amount of hurling clubs, much more so than most other counties, so winning the championship can require winning more matches in total than other clubs who go on to win their county and province

I personally think the Galway champs going into a semi is a non issue. It's never proven to give them an obvious advantage . Galway is a huge county in itself anyway with a large amount of hurling clubs, much more so than most other counties, so winning the championship can require winning more matches in total than other clubs who go on to win their county and province

This is the classic case of not being able to see the wood from the trees. Of course it's an advantage. Throw Galway into Munster say and give Cork a bye to the semi final since I would hazard a guess they've more hurling clubs than anyone.

Would you say then that Cork had an advantage?

No, not necessarily. As Cork clubs still wouldn't be good enough to win the AI semi final against the Munster or Leinster winner. Its an advantage in the sense they get further in the competition maybe but at the end of the day its about winning All Irelands. But hey while you mention Cork, isn't it lovely that you can lose your county final and still progress to Munster? The club championships always have little quirks its just the way it is

Galway have only made one All Ireland final now in the last 6 years. And St Thomas's were damn lucky to do so against the Ulster Champions last year. So no there clearly isn't any advantage in terms of their All Ireland prospects, otherwise they'd be making finals and winning all Irelands far more regularly.

So the Galway winners have been average enough recently, therefore there is no advantage? An advantage is something that creates favourable and unequal conditions for them to succeed, that they cannot capitalize on it does not mean it doesn't exist.

It's an advantage when you have good teams of a similar level competing for an all Ireland as has been the case in many years. If Galway and Cork had good teams near enough in standard, the Galway champions would have a big advantage by having to win up to 3 less games against County champions to win an all Ireland.

• Advertisement

So this year Tipp champions only have to win 2 games to win Munster, while Waterford champs have to win 3. Leinster winners need to win more than Munster winners potentially also. Glen Rovers don't even need to win Cork to go through to the provincials, a luxury no other top county can afford. Antrim winners potentially only need to win one match in their province.

There are advantages everywhere. Given there has been traditionally no obvious corelation between Galway getting a bye to the semis and winning All Irelands, I'd be willing to overlook this one for the time being as opposed to creating a daft format where you can lose your provincial final but get another swipe at the provincial winners 2 weeks later. If other counties don't like it, then reduce their number of senior teams so they don't have to play as many matches. The provincial teams Ballyhale have to beat this year wouldn't make the Galway quarter finals

But who knows maybe you'll get your wish next year and the Galway winners will have to come through a province. Only 2 games away from Tooreen ensuring it happens

I'll agree with you on one thing, the suggestion to give the Leinster/Munster runners up a second chance is daft.

I'll agree with you on one thing, the suggestion to give the Leinster/Munster runners up a second chance is daft.

Look, the ideal format that suits everyone is a complete open draw.

However I just can't see that happening anytime soon

• Registered Users Posts: 17,652 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Absolutely an advantage to be guaranteed an all ireland semi every year. If you look at tipp, they've not had a representative in the final since 1993. In that time Antrim clubs have had 6 appearances and Galway 15 appearances in club finals.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

No more daft than the current setup.

Absolutely an advantage to be guaranteed an all ireland semi every year. If you look at tipp, they've not had a representative in the final since 1993. In that time Antrim clubs have had 6 appearances and Galway 15 appearances in club finals.

Many of those would have been Portumna, probably the greatest club team ever

Its all about wins anyway. Losing an All Ireland final vs Provincial final? Meh for me, but different strokes and all that

No more daft than the current setup.

Haha be some craic if it was in force this year. Borris go and beat Ballygunnar tomorrow and they're basically guaranteed to have to beat them again in their next match :pac:

1-1 for Lillis in the last few minutes and he shouldn’t even be on the pitch after two dangerous high fouls.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,014 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Eire Óg looked impressive, especially defensively. Thought Ross Dunphy got through a mountain of work up and down the field, and Jordan Morrissey carried the ball well too. Will be hard beaten now in the final. And I'm glad to see that my own club were at least competitive against them, as we scored more and lost by less than both Sarsfields and Portlaoise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭radharc

Both Sarsfields and Portlaoise only scored a point apiece in the second half versus Éire Og. When you consider Éire Og missed a penalty and a good few bad wides they could have given Portlaoise a right hammering.

Advertisement