Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Recommendations for a bike

Options
  • 17-11-2019 9:08am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭

I'm so close to buying a bike but don't know what to go for. I always felt safer on a mountain bike, I don't know why that is. But I'd be getting around town and doing a 4km spin into work and back home again. But I'm very unfit, so not sure if that makes a difference. I'll start of slowly though.

Is a hybrid bike the way to go?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

I should probably give a budget for a bike. You can spend thousands on a bike. If I had thousands, I'd be buying a second hand car. I won't be buying it under the BTW scheme, so out of my own pocket. So preferably a bike under 500.

I was looking at the Liv Flourish but not sure. It's probably expensive because if all the extras: basket, rack, kickstand. But I will be adding all these to the bike eventually anyway.

There's so much bikes to choose from that I want to have some idea before looking. So any help would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Maidhci

I'm so close to buying a bike but don't know what to go for. I always felt safer on a mountain bike, I don't know why that is. But I'd be getting around town and doing a 4km spin into work and back home again. But I'm very unfit, so not sure if that makes a difference. I'll start of slowly though.

Is a hybrid bike the way to go?

A hybrid bike would be a good choice for what you outline here BUT you should always go with what you are comfortable with, not what others recommend. I have no experience of mountain bikes at all, I use both a road bike and a hybrid bike very frequently.

As you are familiar with a mountain bike, why not try out a hybrid and see how you get on? Bear in mind that hybrid bikes come / can be fitted with various tyre widths - that may / may not be relevant to you, as you state that you felt more comfortable on a mountain bike, perhaps because of wider tyres etc. etc.

If not availing of B2W scheme, why not look at a used bike for starters - good value available on usual websites. Hope this helps and best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,400 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

If only doing short spins in and around town, I'd recommend a hybrid as you sit more upright and can see around you better. There's millions of options but you've already outlined a good one. The Giant Liv range are high quality and bang for buck. My wife swears by hers. She picked up a Thrive 2 (last years model for 600) and haggled to get lights and mudguards thrown in. It's incredibly lightweight and has disc brakes which makes stopping in the rain a lot easier. I bought a clip on basket for her from ebay for 15 euro and a helmet in the Halfords sale for 25. You don't need everything up front (apart from lights).

Advertisement