Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Loungers who Toga! Toga! Toga!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Is there a thread somewhere about cleaning? There should be... closest I can find is diy.

In the absense of being able find the topic elsewhere, can anyone tell me if they've successfully gotten damp/mound out of laundry.

I was very surprised to find it on a duvet cover. Washed at 90 degrees with bith biological and non-biological detergents, and it's still there.
    Has anyone any suggestions of how I can get rid if it, without damaging the material colours preferably.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

Have you tried the old reliable vinegar or bread soda?

No-I will do. Thanks.
    I need to get to the bottom of the cause too.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 11,995 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Happy International Women's Day ladies :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

I'm having a week where everything seems to be going right for me. I have an aptitude test for a potential promotion tomorrow. I finally got cleared by my psychiatrists on Wednesday, and feel like I just don't want this good streak to end. Long may it last :)

Well, after this my good week ended with a sudden bump... Or rather a crash over the handlebars of my bike while training for a charity event. Cue 11 days in a splint and a sling with 2 suspected fractures.

Fortunately there were none, and I will hopefully be back on the bike this weekend.

As for the aptitude test... I got offered an interview afterwards and did that with one arm tied in front of me. Found out yesterday that I got the promotion :)

Now all I have to do to be back on track is to be able to straighten my elbow. Winning!

Oh, and Happy International Women's Day!

• Advertisement

Sorry if this is ot for this thread, but I’m completely overwhelmed trying to book a midweek break in London for 3 friends.
    It’s for a big celebration so we don’t mind spending money, but budget is not completely limitless. Just for sometime this year.
    We’d like to stay somewhere decent for 3 nights, take in a show, visit museums, maybe have afternoon tea at the likes of the Dorchester, and 1 fancy meal out.
    Can anyone make recommendations based on personal experience?
    TIA

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

If you want to stay very central or anywhere fancy it's going to be horrifically expensive. Public transport is really good though and you can pay with a contactless debit card, so if you're staying around King's Cross/Euston you'll be able to hop on the tube pretty much anywhere quickly.

If you can justify it, don't book your flights through Luton or Stansted, horrible airports that can go and die in a fire imho.

My expectations may be unrealistic!

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

If you want to stay very central or anywhere fancy it's going to be horrifically expensive. Public transport is really good though and you can pay with a contactless debit card, so if you're staying around King's Cross/Euston you'll be able to hop on the tube pretty much anywhere quickly.

If you can justify it, don't book your flights through Luton or Stansted, horrible airports that can go and die in a fire imho.

I love that last line - I totally agree!!

And I agree with the rest of it. A lot of people stay outside it - even as far out as Stratford which is well served with public transport.

Airbnb may be a good shout as well - there is also short term apartment lets on Booking.com that may work out better value that hotel rooms if there is a group of you going.

I’ve been asked to host a house party as a fundraiser for a charity I have a lot of time for.
    My response was I’ll just give you what a party would cost me, but there’s a pr purpose to the party too.
    How would you feel about being asked to attend such an event?
    I don’t think it’ll make what I’d spend on it.
    I’m so torn.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

If there is any better way to spend an evening than to sit at home with your blanket, a cup of tea and a book as you listen to the therapeutic sound of the rain hitting the window, I wanna know what that activity is.

Addle wrote: »
    I’ve been asked to host a house party as a fundraiser for a charity I have a lot of time for.
    My response was I’ll just give you what a party would cost me, but there’s a pr purpose to the party too.
    How would you feel about being asked to attend such an event?
    I don’t think it’ll make what I’d spend on it.
    I’m so torn.

How can a house party be a fundraiser? That really doesn't feel like it should be a thing.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

How can a house party be a fundraiser? That really doesn't feel like it should be a thing.

My thoughts exactly

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

If there is any better way to spend an evening than to sit at home with your blanket, a cup of tea and a book as you listen to the therapeutic sound of the rain hitting the window, I wanna know what that activity is.

totally agree

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

bluewolf wrote: »
    totally agree

That was me tonight.

In out of a cold, wet evening, snuggled under a throw, cuppa in hand, book to read, music in background.
    Pure contentment.

Ya, it doesn’t sit easy with me.
    That’s why I asked.
    The intention was just a regular party with a bucket left out for donations.

That was me tonight.

In out of a cold, wet evening, snuggled under a throw, cuppa in hand, book to read, music in background.
    Pure contentment.

Sounds so nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭zapper55

Ya, it doesn’t sit easy with me.
    That’s why I asked.
    The intention was just a regular party with a bucket left out for donations.

So many potential problems. Do you say it to guests in advance, which would put most off going or do you land it on them when they get there?

Does someone mind the bucket so people dont help themselves to the money?

You'd need to be a registered charity to ask for money.

I'd have a very dim view of a friend who did this. I'd also seriously question the judgement of the person/charity asking you to do it and I'd wonder how much of it would actually go to the charity in the end.

Ya, it’s a funny one. I’ve seen it done before with success, coffee mornings and such.
    I’m not doing it anyways. Told her I’d make a donation instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

I am feeling down.

I have my period ..i ate huge amounts of crap ..i have period brain fog ...I hope you guys know what that is.

Anyway hope you guys are well. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 imneise

Wow I haven't been on Boards in years! Couldn't remember my old account details so here we are, something new.

Day 9 of self quarantine and needing a distraction while I'm not in work :D Hope everyone is well :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

imneise wrote: »
    Wow I haven't been on Boards in years! Couldn't remember my old account details so here we are, something new.

Day 9 of self quarantine and needing a distraction while I'm not in work :D Hope everyone is well :)

Cracking up due to social distancing. Had no idea how much time I spent outside of the house.

sullivlo wrote: »
    Cracking up due to social distancing. Had no idea how much time I spent outside of the house.

Absolutely! I'm usually gone from 8am till 7pm Mon-Fri, even when I'm not working I'm doing a lot so I'm feeling like a bird in a cage at the minute.

imneise wrote: »
    Absolutely! I'm usually gone from 8am till 7pm Mon-Fri, even when I'm not working I'm doing a lot so I'm feeling like a bird in a cage at the minute.

I'm a teacher so I normally come into contact with over 100 kids a day. Plus all of the staff. I had no idea how much I interacted with the kids - a chat about how they are, a joke shared... I will not complain about the "can I go to the toilet" questions so much anymore.

I'd normally car pool with other teachers on various days so I miss those chats. It's not the same on WhatsApp.

I would sometimes call to my local dog friendly coffee shop for a coffee and a chat. Not any more.

No shopping trips. No restaurants. No pubs.

I understand why, and it is absolutely vital, but it still sucks.

I love being at home.
    We’ve worked very hard on it and made a lot of sacrifices to have it, and there’s nowhere I’d rather be.
    Getting loads of little jobs done and relishing every little achievement.

I love being at home.
    We’ve worked very hard on it and made a lot of sacrifices to have it, and there’s nowhere I’d rather be.
    Getting loads of little jobs done and relishing every little achievement.

Oh I love being at home too. It's just not being able to leave that causes problems.

sullivlo wrote: »
    I'm a teacher so I normally come into contact with over 100 kids a day. Plus all of the staff. I had no idea how much I interacted with the kids - a chat about how they are, a joke shared... I will not complain about the "can I go to the toilet" questions so much anymore.

Haha also work with children so I understand that, didn't realise how much I would miss it though. I can't see myself back in work next week either :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,089 ✭✭✭Lavinia

seems like corona killed this thread ? lol

what happened to ladies who lounge lol

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 11,995 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Everyone got sick of permanent lounging in 2020 lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,089 ✭✭✭Lavinia

hah it seems so

im still lounging while working from home, just can't force myself to go to the office though officially i could go lol

Advertisement