Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Flickr Copyright rules

• 14-10-2019 10:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,406 ✭✭✭

I noticed recently a photo I have on Flickr since 10 years ago appears on a few websites, mostly blogs. I'm just wondering if they should have contacted me to request permission to include on their site? The photo is under Copyright All Rights Reserved.

I'm not looking for any money but just curious as to what rights I had over my photo.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

based on what you say, you have full copyright over your photo. use of your photo without permission is copyright theft. you could now send them invoices for use of the photo, if you wished. they may not play ball though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,406 ✭✭✭chewed

based on what you say, you have full copyright over your photo. use of your photo without permission is copyright theft. you could now send them invoices for use of the photo, if you wished. they may not play ball though.

Ok cheers. As I mentioned, I'm not particularly looking for money, but maybe some reference or acknowledgement.

If you were looking for money (e.g. if the photo was being used on a commercial website), does that not need to be stated under the photo as to what the costs for usage are? Or is it just a case you tell them you want x amount?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

I don't use flickr, but I would be surprised if you don't assign them the ability to sell your images to others by uploading them to flickr.
    Most sites you upload images to have that in their terms and conditions.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

flickr do not sell your photos to third parties. it'd be death to their service. they claim a lot of rights, but this is generally to allow them to transfer them between different jurisdictions, depending on where they want to store them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Have you got your settings set to prevent download of photos?

• Advertisement

Have you got your settings set to prevent download of photos?

NO. I should do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Heebie wrote: »
    I don't use flickr, but I would be surprised if you don't assign them the ability to sell your images to others by uploading them to flickr.
    Most sites you upload images to have that in their terms and conditions.

What sites have this?

Flickr uploads are "All rights reserved" by default but you can set any other licence level.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

do an image search for the image and see if someone stole it and put it on a photostock site.

Get the url of the image on flickr and do a google image search you can search by image giving them the url

• Registered Users Posts: 6,676 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

chewed wrote: »
    NO. I should do that.

Though that's fairly pointless. This is the largest copy of that last image you uploaded for example

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48904526317_6e617aa9e4_k.jpg

Though that's fairly pointless. This is the largest copy of that last image you uploaded for example

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48904526317_6e617aa9e4_k.jpg

It's funny, I just noticed that myself the other day. You can basically choose any size of the original photo even though downloading is restricted to just me! So this feature actually doesn't work

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,676 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

chewed wrote: »
    It's funny, I just noticed that myself the other day. You can basically choose any size of the original photo even though downloading is restricted to just me! So this feature actually doesn't work

It's more a consequence of how the internet works really. In order to display your images they have to be downloaded to the client, and once they've been downloaded to the client it's trivial to get them one way or another. Flickr sticks some overlay onto the images if you have downloads turned off, but it just makes it a tiny bit more difficult in that you can't just right click and download. You can choose the maximum size anyone can see, in https://www.flickr.com/account/privacy so you can still upload full size originals and then set that to 1024 or something and thats all anyone will ever get.

-edit- Also, disallowing downloads will turn off the option for anyone else to ever see your originals, which is probably what you really want to protect.

Advertisement