Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

RTE using Gay Byrne and Nostalgia to bring in pitiful ratings.

I used to really like Reeling in the Years. I've avoided the 2010's one.
    RTE been trading on Nostalgia since Dee took over. I'm tired of it.

There was a report in one of the newspapers a while back at how one of the nostalgia shows had done well and that they had a number of others coming up.... this was retrieved from an FOI to RTÉ for ... their board meetings.... :confused:

I watched the first Reeling in the Years and it looked very much like... and now the highlights from RTÉ in 2010 rather than a genuine look back ... IMO you need to leave it a few years before you do a retrospective.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,143 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Elmo wrote: »
    There was a report in one of the newspapers a while back at how one of the nostalgia shows had done well and that they had a number of others coming up.... this was retrieved from an FOI to RTÉ for ... their board meetings.... :confused:

I watched the first Reeling in the Years and it looked very much like... and now the highlights from RTÉ in 2010 rather than a genuine look back ... IMO you need to leave it a few years before you do a retrospective.

the series covering the 1990s was first aired in 2000. If there is a problem with the new series it is not caused by proximity to the events.

the series covering the 1990s was first aired in 2000. If there is a problem with the new series it is not caused by proximity to the events.

True, I thought the 90s were 3rd tbh. I don't know I just think the 80s and 70s were the better of all of them followed by the 1990s, obviously there were limitations on the 1960s. The 2000s weren't bad either, and TBH I only watched the first episode of the 2010s. Perhaps it will age better as time goes on.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,896 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

re Reeling in the Years..

60's, 70's, 80's & 90's were brilliant, with great music

It all went downhill for the 00's where every 2nd song they used was a Westlife song....

• Registered Users Posts: 40,143 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

It all went downhill for the 00's where every 2nd song they used was a Westlife song....

perhaps just a slight exaggeration. They used westlife 3 times in the 2000s. though in fairness that is 3 times too many for my tastes.

• Advertisement

https://www.thesun.ie/tvandshowbiz/7050694/rte-eurovision-boss-set-cost-lesley-roy/

If you think the station is a “small chronically underfunded broadcaster” and this is the reason Ireland doesn't to well in the Eurovision there are two things

1. Your not looking at what RTÉ have, and you never will.
    2. You're thinking that eurovision is more important that it actually is (in fairness I did in enjoy the boards eurovision thread).

https://www.independent.ie/entertainment/television/tv-news/cash-strapped-rte-cant-afford-eurovision-show-says-head-of-delegation-36134473.html

In 2017 he said: -

"If we had the money, I would love to see a stand-alone Eurosong final and do it in the Bord Gais Energy Theatre, but unfortunately there's well-published financial difficulties here and we don't have the money for that,"

Again if you think you have to rent a venue or use The Late Late Show for Eurosong '22 then you really need to consider that you have your own facilities in leafy Dublin 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

The 90's one got a bit patchy, tbh. Due to the close proximity to recent events. The 80's one had more distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

TG 4 do their own version as well. Nostalgia as gaeilge in case you missed it on RTE 1.

Stovepipe wrote: »
    TG 4 do their own version as well. Nostalgia as gaeilge in case you missed it on RTE 1.

Virgin Media do too, it's called 'Don't look back in Anger'.

It's interesting seeing how they 'critique' the past, in comparison to how RTE do it.

Stovepipe wrote: »

"Suil Sair Na.." has a certain quality to it, one issue I have with it is that it uses a lot of the English language news from RTÉ rather then the TG4/RTÉ Irish language news. https://www.tg4.ie/en/?s=suil+siar

The TV3/Virgin Media version was to purely celebrate 20 years of TV3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

BBC NI version is called Pop goes Northern Ireland, quite bleak

• Registered Users Posts: 32,977 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Nathan Carter making all the news media today, for serious breach of Covid guidelines for his birthday party, yet funnily enough not a mention of it on the RTE website.

I wonder why?

It helps to be a 'friend of RTE'.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,052 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

NIMAN wrote: »
    Nathan Carter making all the news media today, for serious breach of Covid guidelines for his birthday party, yet funnily enough not a mention of it on the RTE website.

I wonder why?

Hopefully if proven ‘guilty’ will have the full force of the law drawn down.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Hopefully if proven ‘guilty’ will have the full force of the law drawn down.
    :D
    Deportation hopefully. And throw the brother in for good measure.

Re: Big sporting events move to RTÉ ONE

It is quite possible take the world cup Semi-Finals and Final

Tuesday and Wednesday July 6th and 7th from 8pm.

RTÉ will begin cutting down on Current Affairs for the summer months, PT can take a break on Tuesday, while RTÉ don't air Current Affairs on Wednesday Nights. With Fair City taking a break on both nights

Sunday the 11th July for the Final, Fair City and TWIP taking breaks.

As pointed out 9 news didn't air on Eurovision Final night.

Elmo wrote: »
    Re: Big sporting events move to RTÉ ONE

It is quite possible take the world cup Semi-Finals and Final

Tuesday and Wednesday July 6th and 7th from 8pm.

RTÉ will begin cutting down on Current Affairs for the summer months, PT can take a break on Tuesday, while RTÉ don't air Current Affairs on Wednesday Nights. With Fair City taking a break on both nights

Sunday the 11th July for the Final, Fair City and TWIP taking breaks.

As pointed out 9 news didn't air on Eurovision Final night.

Dee Forbes and her cutbacks...strike again.

Dee Forbes and her cutbacks...strike again.

I should say that was the plan, I don't think it will happen this year.... much like most of RTÉ plans ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭SPDUB

I wonder why?

Yet I heard about it on RTE radio .Funny that :rolleyes:

SPDUB wrote: »
    Yet I heard about it on RTE radio .Funny that :rolleyes:

I never mentioned RTE radio, I said their website.:rolleyes:

I never mentioned RTE radio, I said their website.:rolleyes:

They published his apology... but we're a year plus change into all this, can't be acting ignorant at this stage.

• Advertisement

They published his apology... but we're a year plus change into all this, can't be acting ignorant at this stage.

Gotta love these folk.

We all know it wasn't a real apology. It was an apology so he wouldn't lose money in the future.

Covering his own interests.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,243 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Gotta love these folk.

We all know it wasn't a real apology. It was an apology so he wouldn't lose money in the future.

Covering his own interests.

RTE broke the news on the Radio 1 Claire Byrne show and it is on the website too.

https://www.rte.ie/entertainment/2021/0603/1225743-nathan-carter-apologises-for-covid-breach-party/

The lad apologised and if he has an eye to his future career that's not really unusual given that he's 31 and in the uncertain world of show business.

"Given the restrictions, I realise how irresponsible these actions were and I fully apologise."

elperello wrote: »
    RTE broke the news on the Radio 1 Claire Byrne show and it is on the website too.

https://www.rte.ie/entertainment/2021/0603/1225743-nathan-carter-apologises-for-covid-breach-party/

The lad apologised and if he has an eye to his future career that's not really unusual given that he's 31 and in the uncertain world of show business.

"Given the restrictions, I realise how irresponsible these actions were and I fully apologise."

I searched the RTE website high and low on the day the news broke, and couldn't see it anywhere.

I used the search option, and entered NATHAN CARTER, and only got old stories on the search results.

Could this link you provided have been added after the event, and backdated?

I searched the RTE website high and low on the day the news broke, and couldn't see it anywhere.

I used the search option, and entered NATHAN CARTER, and only got old stories on the search results.

Could this link you provided have been added after the event, and backdated?

It was all over various media platforms from The Impartial Reporter in Enniskillen to the BBC.

Are you suggesting a conspiracy in RTE to hide the story?

elperello wrote: »
    It was all over various media platforms from The Impartial Reporter in Enniskillen to the BBC.

Are you suggesting a conspiracy in RTE to hide the story?

I'm only telling you what I found.

I posted that day, when the story was all over the media, and it wasn't showing on the RTE website. I checked several times.
    No-one at the time, on that day, provided a link to say I was wrong.

I wonder why?

I'm only telling you what I found.

I posted that day, when the story was all over the media, and it wasn't showing on the RTE website. I checked several times.
    No-one at the time, on that day, provided a link to say I was wrong.

Thanks, I found your post from Thursday copied above.

I suppose you might have missed it and nobody bothered to help you out with a link.

The story was ubiquitous so the details were widely known.

I didn't miss it. It wasn't there. I didn't need help to find it.
    I checked the RTE website several times.
    Scrolled up and down all the NEWS, IRISH NEWS and ENTERTAINMENT sections, and it definitely wasn't there.

I used the SEARCH function and it didn't appear using that either.

I didn't miss it. It wasn't there. I didn't need help to find it.
    I checked the RTE website several times.
    Scrolled up and down all the NEWS, IRISH NEWS and ENTERTAINMENT sections, and it definitely wasn't there.

I used the SEARCH function and it didn't appear using that either.

I searched it on the day and found it, it wasn't in a very prominent position. But it was there.

V-Day... an RTE program about people getting vaccines...
    V Day
    Documentary charting the national coronavirus vaccine campaign, beginning in late February as the rollout to the over-85s gets under way

Christ...

Even the name, V-Day means 'Valentine's Day' in most people's lexicon... but what the hell is this muck?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,245 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

V-Day... an RTE program about people getting vaccines...

Christ...

Even the name, V-Day means 'Valentine's Day' in most people's lexicon... but what the hell is this muck?

Such originality even if it's actually taking months lmao
    Is there no one left in RTE who can actually come up with something original

Advertisement