Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

mgn wrote: »
    Maybe if the started at 6.30/7.00am instead of 9.00am when most people are gone to work it might have gone down a lot better.

I like to know more about Morning Edition and why the choose 9am until 11:50 for the programme. I think its a union thing.

It had about a 5%, I wonder how well Dr. Phil does now?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,121 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    It might well be from NK...possibly some spies within South Korea using the player as a means to contact their handlers remotely. I mean....could you see any self-respecting South Korean cyber affairs investigator subjecting themselves to digging through the RTE Player for more than 5 seconds?

Perhaps it is a NK version of a numbers station.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Dr golden 2

It's funny how RTE tested out doing breakfast television for 2 weeks during 1984 Olympics and then nothing since 36 years later.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

Elmo wrote: »
    I like to know more about Morning Edition and why the choose 9am until 11:50 for the programme. I think its a union thing.

It had about a 5%, I wonder how well Dr. Phil does now?

Was it something like being not in direct competition with Ireland AM on TV3.

It was a decent News program compared to the muck on Ireland AM, you wouldn't even call that news with a break every 5 minutes and full of adverts.

• Gunmonkey wrote: »
    It might well be from NK...possibly some spies within South Korea using the player as a means to contact their handlers remotely. I mean....could you see any self-respecting South Korean cyber affairs investigator subjecting themselves to digging through the RTE Player for more than 5 seconds?

Noel Kelly do you mean?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,285 ✭✭✭jmcc

2000s had city channel on UPC
    A lot of vox pop interviews and some local businesses from what I remember. It was a good start but the problem was that most people never knew it existed. Still probably got more viewers than those late-night Oorts programmes on RTE. :)

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 17,242 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

jmcc wrote: »
    A lot of vox pop interviews and some local businesses from what I remember. It was a good start but the problem was that most people never knew it existed. Still probably got more viewers than those late-night Oorts programmes on RTE. :)

Regards...jmcc

It was only on Sky as well was it not?
    There's another Irish channel on Sky, or used to be, cannot remember the name

fritzelly wrote: »
    It was only on Sky as well was it not?
    There's another Irish channel on Sky, or used to be, cannot remember the name
    Think it was only on a channel on UPC cable. Sky decided to open a news bureau in Dublin and hired Grainne Seoige. ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sky_News_Ireland ). It didn't last long. Think that there were other Irish channels on Astra as well. (Might be worth asking in the Satellite TV forum.)

Regards...jmcc

Found it
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_TV

Was supposed to be on Saorview but closed up
    Very limited line up but a portion of the licence fee wouldn't go amiss being allocated to independent broadcasters and make Saorview more interesting than the crap content it does have

Found it
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_TV

Was supposed to be on Saorview but closed up
    Very limited line up but a portion of the licence fee wouldn't go amiss being allocated to independent broadcasters and make Saorview more interesting than the crap content it does have
    The problem with Saorview is the audience size. The bulk of the population in Ireland is in cities with cable TV. It might be a good way to help grow Saorview but that gets into the whole Saorsat problem where RTE decided to put Saorview on a different satellite compared to the Astra satellites. It requires a different LNB and, at worst, a different dish. There are also Irish TV channels on the Sky/Astra package but they are encrypted. The copyright issue has made a mess of Irish satellite TV broadcasting. RTE's approach to Satellite TV doesn't seem to have changed since the 1980s. Ironically, Dee Forbes used to run Discovery Channel's UK/Ireland operation, I think, and would have more of a clue than the rest of RTE.

The other aspect is that how people watch TV programmes has changed. It used to be synchronous (watch while the programme was broadcast). Then VCRs came along and that was the start of asynchonous viewing. (People could record what they wanted to watch and choose when to watch.) DVRs accelerated that shift. With the advent of high bandwidth Internet, people now watch streaming services and can watch TV programmes on various players. The demand for live viewing has declined but the demand for programming has exploded. RTE won't change as long as it is getting the licence fee and being bailed out by the government.

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement

RTE use that as an excuse (people not watching live tv) when it really only relates to the younger audience, go from the 35+ age bracket and they still spend a considerable amount of time watching live tv - not necessarily RTe as there is very little there to interest anyone under 50 apart from the news and programs like Prime Time/Clair Byrne (which have become dumbed down versions of what they used to be like)
    The younger population have almost zero interest in RTE period, I'm not young and have zero interest as well

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FGR

programs like Prime Time/Clair Byrne (which have become dumbed down versions of what they used to be like)

I only noticed this recently. Questions and Answers and even the Frontline program were far more in depth and complex. Prime Time is also a shadow of its former self.

Not to mention Vincent Browne over on VM :pac:

Catering to the largest volume of viewers makes sense...but dumbing down current affairs is the opposite of what a mature viewer/savvy younger viewer would want?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

FGR wrote: »
    I only noticed this recently. Questions and Answers and even the Frontline program were far more in depth and complex. Prime Time is also a shadow of its former self.

Catering to the largest volume of viewers makes sense...but dumbing down current affairs is the opposite of what a mature viewer/savvy younger viewer would want?

Even tho Questions and Answers pre-prepped the politicians, it was still a Damn sight better than the s**t that's served up now.

I think, ever since the Prime Time investigates disasters (the one's that resulted in lawsuits and payouts) RTE have become very wary. Almost terrified of doing the hard work.

Vincent Brown was interesting. Much better than Matt cooper or Ivan Yates.
    Not afraid to rip idiots to pieces either.

But he couldn't keep going, sadly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 386 ✭✭Biafranlivemat

It is not only RTE, that viewers complain about the dumbing down.
    Look at the comments section of this ITV program from 1980.

It is not only RTE, that viewers complain about the dumbing down.
    Look at the comments section of this ITV program from 1980.

TBH don't see anything special in that YT clip that isn't still done now - the troubles was an easy and ever present issue that would always be in the news at the time to do documentaries about and be of interest to people

The BBC/ITV/C4 still have hard hitting documentaries (C4 do some very good ones, ITV probably less so). Must admit I'm a sucker for watching Rip off Britain as a bit of mindless entertainment but still serves a public interest that has no equivalent in Ireland bar at a very long stretch Liveline on the odd occasion death is not the main driver of the program

Cannot remember the last one RTE did - even the latest greyhound episode (lauded as an "expose") was exposed years ago so hardly breaking news. Even the nursing home scandals was out in the public but never spoken of...
    Very easy to go after easy targets but in reality RTE are not exposing anything just putting more forefront in peoples eyes
    RTE do not have any real investigative journalists - stuff is only exposed from guys working in the print media

TBH don't see anything special in that YT clip that isn't still done now - the troubles was an easy and ever present issue that would always be in the news at the time to do documentaries about and be of interest to people

The BBC/ITV/C4 still have hard hitting documentaries (C4 do some very good ones, ITV probably less so). Must admit I'm a sucker for watching Rip off Britain as a bit of mindless entertainment but still serves a public interest that has no equivalent in Ireland bar at a very long stretch Liveline on the odd occasion death is not the main driver of the program

Cannot remember the last one RTE did - even the latest greyhound episode (lauded as an "expose") was exposed years ago so hardly breaking news. Even the nursing home scandals was out in the public but never spoken of...
    Very easy to go after easy targets but in reality RTE are not exposing anything just putting more forefront in peoples eyes
    RTE do not have any real investigative journalists - stuff is only exposed from guys working in the print media

Agreed on the 'exposes'... they've become embarrassingly recycled and second hand.

Before he flamed out, spectacularly, Eddie Hobbs had his 'Rip-Off Republic' which managed to go from 'cheap filler RTE program' to 'Sleeper hit phenomenon' for RTE.
    If I remember correctly, it went from a couple hundred thousand viewers, to over 1.3 million viewers for its final episode.

(Of course, the follow up show, 'Ways to spend your SSIA' was a flop. Sums up Eddie Hobbs tv career, really.)

Hobbs tapped into a genuine anger that is, palpable, to this day, over how Ireland was becoming far too expensive. And this was before the boom went to total bust.
    (Kind of like where we are now, similarly).

But that wasn't really investigative. The latest 'Eir expose'... folks could have told you about that many, many years ago.
    You only have to go on Eir's facebook page to see customers showing the s**t quality product, and even sh***er quality customer service.

That's sort of the issue with much of the Prime Time investigations... they're stuff the dogs on the street know about.
    Or better journos have covered the issue.

RTE used to be leading the way. But you can see the cutbacks and budget cuts at RTE right now.

Separate post for a separate topic.

Remember the big f**king hooplah the likes of Louise O'Neill made about a facebook group where women's images were being shared? The one that turned out to not exist?

You'd think 'Investigative journalists' would have learned.

Instead, for the last week or so, we've been hearing about a 'website' where 'thousands of images of women, including underage girls' were distributed, and accessed by men...'slut shaming' if you will.
    Calling on the government to act, new laws to be put in place etc etc etc...

It was even mentioned on the Week in Politics, went all over twitter.

Gardai have found ZERO evidence of this website...

https://www.rte.ie/news/crime/2020/1125/1180498-garda-commissioner-images/

This is just irresponsible, lazy, and scary fearmongering from a supposed national broadcaster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

This image pops up when I open up the RTE Radio app to catch the early news on Morning Ireland:

00155af2-531.jpg

Not a diverse bunch, are they, RTE? Unless diversity means something else at RTE. I find them to be very hypocritical. On the one hand chastising us, demonising us, telling us what to do, and on the other hand many at RTE are becoming very wealthy at our expense, and treating rules, regulations, guidelines etc. as something for us (the plebs) and not for them (the patricians).

• Registered Users Posts: 39,498 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

jmcc wrote: »
    The problem with Saorview is the audience size. The bulk of the population in Ireland is in cities with cable TV. It might be a good way to help grow Saorview but that gets into the whole Saorsat problem where RTE decided to put Saorview on a different satellite compared to the Astra satellites.

Saorsat is not a "problem" it's a "solution".

The vast majority of the country can receive Saorview DTT, Saorsat was put in place to the cater for the minority that couldn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,609 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Vincent was probably the best of both worlds in that his combative style was very entertaining and brought in good viewer numbers but it wasnt completely dumbed down either mainly due to the vast knowledge of current affairs by Browne himself. He would often be quoting the constitution or some obscure legal case from decades back when making his points. In many ways it was educational along with the sh1t hitting the fan at regular intervals.

Would agree that Prime Time is a shadow of its former self. I find it hard to believe Miriam is getting 300k a year to read off a teleprompter in 30 second segments. Thats all she does really, introduce some video package for 30 seconds and then kick back for 10 minutes, do it again for the next segment and then again for the programs conclusion. Shes just a presenter who reads off a teleprompter, shes not a journalist. Its astonishing she is on 300k for the little work she does.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭rightmove

Kivaro wrote: »

Not a diverse bunch, .

diversity in rte means white middle class women telling everyone they are great and men are ****s (you need to create an enemy). Problem is the content and visuals just reflect their wormhole and everyone else has to pay for it.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Vincent was probably the best of both worlds in that his combative style was very entertaining and brought in good viewer numbers but it wasnt completely dumbed down either mainly due to the vast knowledge of current affairs by Browne himself. He would often be quoting the constitution or some obscure legal case from decades back when making his points. In many ways it was educational along with the sh1t hitting the fan at regular intervals.

Would agree that Prime Time is a shadow of its former self. I find it hard to believe Miriam is getting 300k a year to read off a teleprompter in 30 second segments. Thats all she does really, introduce some video package for 30 seconds and then kick back for 10 minutes, do it again for the next segment and then again for the programs conclusion. Shes just a presenter who reads off a teleprompter, shes not a journalist. Its astonishing she is on 300k for the little work she does.

Claire Byrne on 200K+ (She was on 217K about two years ago,soon as the figures are released, I'm sure she got a pay increase.) is an absolute insult in my eyes.

Her TV show is The DailyMail, but dumbed down for idiots. I've no intention of listening to her on the radio.
    I genuinely think she's one of the biggest hacks in RTE, and one of the worst journalists I've ever seen.

• Claire Byrne on 200K+ (She was on 217K about two years ago,soon as the figures are released, I'm sure she got a pay increase.) is an absolute insult in my eyes.

Her TV show is The DailyMail, but dumbed down for idiots. I've no intention of listening to her on the radio.
    I genuinely think she's one of the biggest hacks in RTE, and one of the worst journalists I've ever seen.
    She's not a journalist, she's a presenter!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Gardai have found ZERO evidence of this website...

https://www.rte.ie/news/crime/2020/1125/1180498-garda-commissioner-images/

This is just irresponsible, lazy, and scary fearmongering from a supposed national broadcaster.

anyone know the victims group
    A victims' group had reported...

Which victims' group?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Kivaro wrote: »
    This image pops up when I open up the RTE Radio app to catch the early news on Morning Ireland:

00155af2-531.jpg

Not a diverse bunch, are they, RTE? Unless diversity means something else at RTE. I find them to be very hypocritical. On the one hand chastising us, demonising us, telling us what to do, and on the other hand many at RTE are becoming very wealthy at our expense, and treating rules, regulations, guidelines etc. as something for us (the plebs) and not for them (the patricians).

Both RTE and Virgin have gone female mad on their main news shows. Both outlets are well beyond majority female. It's funny that their form of equality is just flipping the previous dominance of men. Male dominance= sexist, female dominance= equality.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭elperello

anyone know the victims group

Which victims' group?

Victim's Rights Alliance

https://www.independent.ie/news/the-lowest-of-the-low-hundreds-of-thousands-of-intimate-images-of-irish-women-released-online-without-consent-39766849.html

Seems little doubt that the images exist online.
    AGS say they examined 10k images.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,498 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

TomTomTim wrote: »
    Both RTE and Virgin have gone female mad on their main news shows. Both outlets are well beyond majority female. It's funny that their form of equality is just flipping the previous dominance of men. Male dominance= sexist, female dominance= equality.

Sure maybe they are just better and were hired on merit?

Wasn't that the excuse given when it was male dominated?

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭rightmove

TomTomTim wrote: »
    Both RTE and Virgin have gone female mad on their main news shows. Both outlets are well beyond majority female. .. Male dominance= sexist, female dominance= equality.

along with the extra female sports commentators who really earned their spot:rolleyes:

Boggles wrote: »
    Saorsat is not a "problem" it's a "solution".
    The same kind of "solution" thinking that destroyed British Satellite Broadcasting and left Sky dominate the UK satellite TV market,. It was the BBC mentality, much like the RTE mentality that was responsible. The BSB management, much like RTE, were disconnected from commercial reality. (Still have a Squarial around somewhere.) The Astra satellites/slot are the main satellites for the Irish market. Existing and cheap technology that people use. But RTE and whoever advised it made a mess of it.
    The vast majority of the country can receive Saorview DTT, Saorsat was put in place to the cater for the minority that couldn't.
    Almost like it was set up so RTE people could get RTE in their holiday homes in France. :)

It encapsulates RTE's profligate culture. They pay no price for commercial failure. The licence payers and the tax payers pay.

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement

• jmcc wrote: »
    The same kind of "solution" thinking that destroyed British Satellite Broadcasting and left Sky dominate the UK satellite TV market,. It was the BBC mentality, much like the RTE mentality that was responsible. The BSB management, much like RTE, were disconnected from commercial reality. (Still have a Squarial around somewhere.) The Astra satellites/slot are the main satellites for the Irish market. Existing and cheap technology that people use. But RTE and whoever advised it made a mess of it.

Almost like it was set up so RTE people could get RTE in their holiday homes in France. :)

It encapsulates RTE's profligate culture. They pay no price for commercial failure. The licence payers and the tax payers pay.

Regards...jmcc
    the footprint of saorsat doesn't reach anywhere near that France.
    I'd be surprised if there aren't more than a thousand homes consuming saorsat as it requires a different lnb and uses a different satellite at 9 degrees not Astra 28.2.

Advertisement