Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ambiguous wear pattern on a granite erratic.

Options
  • 13-09-2013 12:44pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I would appreciate opinions on this subject. I'm wearing both moderator hats on this one.
    My feeling is that this is a quern - used for grinding grain over a prolonged period.
    This relatively large (c. 3.5 x 2m) erratic granite boulder has been moved from its unknown original position to the edge of a field. The face which would have lain uppermost is now 90º to its original situation.
    It may not be easy to see but there is a marked depression (c. 60cm diam) at the left side of the boulder.
    The presumably glacial striations have clearly been interrupted by the formation of the saddle.
    I can't imagine any natural process that could cause such a depression - hence the reason for posting here.
    The first photo is of the boulder face with the anomalous depression to the left.
    The second picture is of the underside of the stone (before it was moved) and the third picture is shown to indicate the curvature of the depression which is consistent with wear patterns on quern stones.

271528.JPG271527.JPG271529.JPG

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Rereading the post above, I may not have made the question terribly clear.
    It is this: what natural process could be responsible for creating a roughly circular depression that is notably smoother than the surface on the surrounding stone?
    Water pooling on granite for a prolonged period causes fragmentation, so water can be ruled out of the equation.

Advertisement