Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sky box in central location?

• 25-11-2020 2:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭

Hi
    I am just setting up my new build and I am looking for some advice on how to setup the sky box for 2 TV rooms?

I have 2 TV points wired back to a cabinet in the utility with Coax, Cat 6 and HDMI cables.
    I have cables for the sky dish wired back to the same cabinet.

If i want the sky box installed in this cabinet is there some kind of a splitter i need to by to allow the sky box to feed both TVs?

appreciate any help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Alex Sky Doctor

If this is HD and your box has RF output, you can use a magic eye connected through the coax.

If this is Q, then you can use HDMI splitter and long run of HDMI cable to the second TV (make sure you will get Sky compatible, not the cheapest one). Also you have to think how you are going to operate your box from another room, will Bluetooth reach your box (?).
    Obviously, you will be watching the same channel on both TVs.
    There is more expensive option i.e. "HDMI through Wi-Fi", so make a bit of research on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Faiche Ro

If this is HD and your box has RF output, you can use a magic eye connected through the coax.

If this is Q, then you can use HDMI splitter and long run of HDMI cable to the second TV (make sure you will get Sky compatible, not the cheapest one). Also you have to think how you are going to operate your box from another room, will Bluetooth reach your box (?).
    Obviously, you will be watching the same channel on both TVs.
    There is more expensive option i.e. "HDMI through Wi-Fi", so make a bit of research on that.

Thanks, I didn’t know certain HDMI cables weren’t compatible with SKY, crap. The electrician wired the house so I’d assume it’s a fairly cheap HDMI.

I think the Bluetooth remote will work in both rooms. The utility will be in between the two TV locations.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭billbond4

Or you could use this
    http://www.technomate.com/products.php?product=TM%252dRF-HD-IR
    I use this to pass a dvb sky signal around my house to 2 tvs instead of the uhf with crappy mono sound from the sky box.
    Picture quality is perfect on the output

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Alex Sky Doctor

Just ask this question yourself: why you can buy HDMI cable at Dealz for 1.50 euro and pay for HDMI cable in PC World 35 euro, or so.
    HDMI cables were designed to provide a single-cable digital video and audio solution. Increasing data transfer demands placed on HDMI cables means they now come in three different grades that you actually need to have at least a basic understanding of.
    Thou they look similar, but they are marked for example as HDMI 1.4 or DMI 2.0. 4K is already here: HDMI 2.1 connection can handle 4K video at up to 120 frames per second.

I am not saying that your electrician didn’t do right. I just advise you to do some research and think a bit forward especially when you hiding cables in the wall or so. I had a client that "hated cables", had hidden all in the walls and after connecting a Q box from the com room he got only “Hello” message and a blue screen. Obviously the grade of HDMI cable was lower that the HDMI port in Q box can handle.

The same story with the switch/splitter.
    Look for something like that. But read reviews carefully.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Neet%C2%AE-SPLITTER-Amplifier-Display-Supports/dp/B01NA6FVBA/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

And my general advise: do not hide your cables permanently (make a channel that they can be pooled out, as they might need replacement at some stage).

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭raddo

I have a wall mounted tv and I wanted to put its associated box in another room. After some searching I found this:
    Eazy2hD HDMI Extender Over Single 50m/164ft Cat5e/6 Cables with IR Remote Control HDCP Compliant up to 1080p Resolution
    by Eazy2hD
    Link: http://amzn.eu/i7rNtEU
    Ran in a Cat5 cable and hooked this up. Really happy with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭jumbone

Don't use rf out in 2020 for gods sake, uality will be abysmal. Look up a dvb modulator instead - this will allow you to add 'SKY' as saorview channel and distribute though your whole house

Also why would you suggest hdmi over WiFi when he has cat6? That said I did have a bad experience with hdmi/cat5e baluns but wired always beats wireless
    Just ask this question yourself: why you can buy HDMI cable at Dealz for 1.50 euro and pay for HDMI cable in PC World 35 euro, or so.

And my general advise: do not hide your cables permanently (make a channel that they can be pooled out, as they might need replacement at some stage).

Anyone who buys a 35 euro hdmi cable needs their head examined utter scaremongering. A 6ft hdmi 2.1 cable can be had for a tenner on amazon

I don't think anyone actually plasters cable into a wall without using conduit. If you even thi k that's an option I wouldn't be using you for an install

• Registered Users Posts: 45,820 ✭✭✭✭muffler

jumbone wrote: »
    Look up a dvb modulator instead - this will allow you to add 'SKY' as saorview channel and distribute though your whole house
    How does that work?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,476 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

muffler wrote: »
    How does that work?

HDMI over co-ax, converts the HDMI output of the Sky box to a DVB-T mux/frequency so that it can be tuned in like any channel on a TV. It can be assigned to a particular LCN. There is a red eye return via the coax, SkyQ requires the standard IR r/c for this, not the bluetooth one.

My brother has one, I posted about it on boards previously, search for Technomate modulator

https://www.freetv.ie/hd-to-rf-modulator/

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭jumbone

muffler wrote: »
    How does that work?

Just like an old rf out worked, it creates a channel you can tune in using a standard terrestrial tuner but in this case its an MPEG4 DVBT2 channel (just like saorview)

It will tune in on your tvs along with the saorview muxes showing whatever you set as the channel name e.g. Sky or whatever

You won't get epg but you will get the full sky on screen display and can use your sky remote (over Bluetooth or magic eye)

And because its a 'terrestrial' channel it can be split to multiple tvs, combined with saorview feed etc.

Itss not quite hdmi over coax, the streams are reencoded.

Commonly used in hotel headend set ups or for sky in pubs

• Registered Users Posts: 15,476 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

jumbone wrote: »
    You won't get epg but you will get the full sky on screen display and can use your sky remote (over Bluetooth or magic eye)

Bluetooth remote useability depends on how far from the TV the SkyQ box is located and what material the walls and floors are made of between them.

In my brother's case there was a concrete first floor and it took many many hours for the installer to figure out the reason the the red eye was only working intermittently with the bluetooth remote, he tested quite a few red eyes. It was the first time he came across the issue, I assume any other similar install was within the range of the bluetooth remote. A SkyQ IR remote sorted the issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 gaa fever

I have recently gotten Sky Q 2TB wired up to main TV. Bought HDMI splitter and ran HDMI cable to bedroom TV. Works perfectly however when the splitter is plugged in the Sky Fibre WiFi drops. If I plug the splitter out the WiFi is back. any ideas before the tv goes out the window !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭keepalive213

gaa fever wrote: »
    I have recently gotten Sky Q 2TB wired up to main TV. Bought HDMI splitter and ran HDMI cable to bedroom TV. Works perfectly however when the splitter is plugged in the Sky Fibre WiFi drops. If I plug the splitter out the WiFi is back. any ideas before the tv goes out the window !

You are hardly using homeplugs / powerline network adaptors?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 gaa fever

You are hardly using homeplugs / powerline network adaptors?

I have the splitter powered via the USB on the sky q box. I also tried it plugged directly into a socket but same issue. Apologies but not too technically minded !

Advertisement