Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Pixel 5

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

Basil3 wrote: »
    USB-C ports seem much more robust than the old micro USB

Yup, USB C is definitely better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

I've kept all my oneplus phones for ages so figure worn out charging ports may be an issue with all brands?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭SachaJ

out for delivery (sage)

• Registered Users Posts: 22 diarmconnolly

digitaldr wrote: »
    I've kept all my oneplus phones for ages so figure worn out charging ports may be an issue with all brands?

I had the same issue with my 5t - had the port replaced twice. Never had any issues with the usb-c port on my Nexus 6p and hasn't been an issue on my 3aXL either.

I'd say it's definitely a One Plus issue.

Probably a cunning ploy to get you to shell out for the pro version next time!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭dan786

Black still in stock. Might be the last chance get one before the 19th when deal ends. I ordered another myself

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭KillerShamrock

Yeah USB C is solid but saying that the port on my xz premium is a little wonky after however many years of use.

My sorta sage is out for delivery but I am already having second thoughts, kinda wishing I went for the Xperia 5ii, as I'm a bit of a Sony fan boy for their phones, but I have claimed the headphones already so the hassle of returning it all :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭skodacb

SachaJ wrote: »
    out for delivery (sage)

There was probably only minutes between us ordering on the Google Store, and yet this is me currently waiting for a notification of any kind from either Revolut or Google.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 mesh123

Anyone order from amazon uk get their phone dispatched yet? Says mine will come 17-20th but still no sign of dispatch.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Phat Cat

Stacksey wrote: »
    Bought mine on the 4th of October and delivery is still set for 18th November, I'll give it 2 more days otherwise I'm gonna cancel and buy the new OnePlus

Same here, I'm getting very restless waiting for my dispatch notification from Google Store, mainly as I don't want to miss out on the headphones

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭peejay1986

Can I still avail of the Bose offer if I order via Amazon?

Still no sage anywhere :(

skodacb wrote: »
    There was probably only minutes between us ordering on the Google Store, and yet this is me currently waiting for a notification of any kind from either Revolut or Google.

I feel your pain. Still nothing on my order from launch night.

I ordered another one from Vodafone on Wednesday. They have taken my money, but no clue when or if it will actually come.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭djr

mine is out for delivery now with DHL, google store order on the announcement date

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Am I Evil?

My Pixel arrived a little while ago, just updating apps at the minute and fully charging

I'm coming from a galaxy S10 and this is my first pixel since the standard Pixel 2. It feels far more premium than I anticipated. Cold to the touch, the rear has an almost painty sort of feel off of it. Sage green looks well with the black fabric case too and the size is perfect in the hand :pac:

Looking forward to getting stuck in now for the day!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭dan786

peejay1986 wrote: »
    Can I still avail of the Bose offer if I order via Amazon?

Still no sage anywhere :(

I recently had a claim refused for something bought from Amazon because Amazon was not listed in eligible retailers list for Ireland. Only UK.

I went through UK site and even was shipped to UK address and with free offer item also showing UK address but they refused it because of being a resident of Ireland. Amazon invoice shows billing address.

It was a Samsung promotion. These promotions are managed by same company on behalf of manufacturers. So I wouldnt chance it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭Ryath

I had the same issue with my 5t - had the port replaced twice. Never had any issues with the usb-c port on my Nexus 6p and hasn't been an issue on my 3aXL either.

I'd say it's definitely a One Plus issue.

Never any issues with ours, wife's Oneplus 3 was 3 years old when she replaced it with a Pixel 3a. Had got glitchy though and crashed one night and wouldn't restart for several hours. Reset and it seems to be fine now kids still use it sometimes and still charges fine.

I have the Oneplus 5 since launch in June 2017 still working perfectly. To be honest there's little reason to upgrade yet it if it still got updates. It's still stable and responsive. Battery life isn't quite as good but it still lasts all day with heavy use. Dash charge is still faster than most modern C USB PD phones. Not sure how much longer it's safe to use when its not getting security updates? It got Andoid 10 back in May.

I would like a better camera I can see the 3a is better especially in low light/ indoors. Was tempted by the 3a but it's a little small want something around 6.5" screen size.

Short list at the moment are the Pixel 5 or 4a 5g. Would probably pay the extra for the 5 for the wireless charging and water resistance though I prefer the bigger screen of the 4a 5g. Oneplus 8T is tempting at that price point though. Cheaper option at €410 for the Oneplus Nord which is closer to what I want to spend. €620 for the 8T/Pixel 5 if I get 3 years out of again isn't bad considering the amount I use it though.

Cheaper options I'm considering are the Moto G9 plus/ Poco X3 NFC but not sure I would be happy going back to an LED display from an Amoled and the cameras aren't going to be much better than my Oneplus 5.

Might just wait a bit and see if Vodafone do a switching offer again on the Pixels. I'll see what they offer for the Xperia 5 II too, it's getting good reviews and comes with Sony WH-XB900N headphones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭SachaJ

A migration question, coming from S9+.

Can I transfer all my apps across, photos (S9+ has an SD card also) etc easily? Will all my apps be grouped as I have on my S9+? What about settings?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭ricksanchez

Just had about half an hour to fiddle with the Pixel.

Feels absolutely brilliant in the hand, no fingerprints at all, happy to finally have a phone I can use caseless again. Much easier to manage one handed than my iPhone.

Screen is beautiful but of course it is coming from a 720 LCD.

Comments on the speakers blown totally out of proportion imo, they sound just fine to me.

Glad I went with Sage as I was second guessing going away from a black phone after years of them.

Decided to set up as a new phone since I saw people had issues copying from old ones, so gonna take me a while to download apps, remember passwords, etc and really get going.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭danicm

Decided to set up as a new phone since I saw people had issues copying from old ones, so gonna take me a while to download apps, remember passwords, etc and really get going.

I always set up new phones from scratch, and computers. Over time you accumulate so much useless data and apps that I don't see the point of copying everything over just to bloat a new phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

Phone arrived, pretty snappy, it feels really small and light incomparison to the OnePlus 7 Pro. Will take some getting used to.

Initial impressions are good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭danicm

I don't understand how Google handles their stock availability. Today all day I've been getting notifications from UptimeRobot meaning there's been several occasions where the phone would be back in stock and then out of stock again a few minutes later.

danicm wrote: »
    I don't understand how Google handles their stock availability. Today all day I've been getting notifications from UptimeRobot meaning there's been several occasions where the phone would be back in stock and then out of stock again a few minutes later.

Could be cancellations that are there til they’re sold.

Ryath wrote: »

Cheaper options I'm considering are the Moto G9 plus/ Poco X3 NFC but not sure I would be happy going back to an LED display from an Amoled and the cameras aren't going to be much better than my Oneplus 5..

Would you consider the realme 7 pro? Great value and ticks a lot of boxes eg 65w fast charging, wireless charging, headphone jack,stereo speakers, large amoled screen and they're owned by oppo. Cameras would probably be a bit lacking though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭Ryath

digitaldr wrote: »
    Would you consider the realme 7 pro? Great value and ticks a lot of boxes eg 65w fast charging, wireless charging, headphone jack,stereo speakers, large amoled screen and they're owned by oppo. Cameras would probably be a bit lacking though.

Yea was looking at it seems good but a decent camera is a priority. A lot of the mid range phones would be better if they just put one decent image sensor in it rather than imitating the flagships and putting 1 ok one and 2 or 3 crap ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

This is gone off the store and I'm asking myself do I really want it?

I've had 4 exchanged Pixel 4XL phone's in less than a year all for the same issue and I am convinced they are just a dodgy phone compared to any of the Nexus or Pixels I had previously...

Google have agreed a refund as I filed a small claims court case, so I'm torn between one of these and going iPhone, decisions decisions....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,448 ✭✭✭micks_address

Fieldog wrote: »

I've had 4 exchanged Pixel 4XL phone's in less than a year all for the same issue and I am convinced they are just a dodgy phone compared to any of the Nexus or Pixels I had previously...

Google have agreed a refund as I filed a small claims court case, so I'm torn between one of these and going iPhone, decisions decisions....

ive had pixels for a few years now and sticking with pixel 4 as i like the face unlock and form factor... ill be waiting for the 6 before changing again.. to be honest ive been leaning more towards iphone as there's no real advantage going pixel these days.. they had the best cameras and maybe still do but everyone else is so close now doesnt matter

ive had pixels for a few years now and sticking with pixel 4 as i like the face unlock and form factor... ill be waiting for the 6 before changing again.. to be honest ive been leaning more towards iphone as there's no real advantage going pixel these days.. they had the best cameras and maybe still do but everyone else is so close now doesnt matter

I really don't want to change my Pixel 4XL for a fifth time so I think I will either get one of these or turn to the dark side, convinced that P4XL was just released with loads of issues...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,309 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

I had Nexus one and 4 and pixel 1,2 and now 5. I've said this earlier but the only phone I have found as speedy as this is the oppo find 7. As someone else said benchmarks...meh...I don't want a 1200 phone! It feels great and here I am a day later still on 44% battery ðŸ˜

Fieldog wrote: »

Preferably I’d probably get an iphone (if I could talk myself into another year of lightning) but there’s no value there at all the way they have them priced. The mini is the most intriguing but it’ll probably have the battery life of the Pixel 4.

• Advertisement

Preferably I’d probably get an iphone (if I could talk myself into another year of lightning) but there’s no value there at all the way they have them priced. The mini is the most intriguing but it’ll probably have the battery life of the Pixel 4.

I've never had an iPhone in all the years of having a smartphone, I was just so fed up returning this phone at least every 3 months when something goes wrong that I considered an iPhone, the iphone I would want is the Pro but can't fathom spending that kind of cash on it when I could have a Pixel 5 and the change would get me close to a PS5...

The fact it is out of stock on google store is putting me closer to iPhone mind you...

That has a 3 week delivery though :(

Advertisement