Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

LG Freesat TV's - Switching Antenna to Sat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

cillo2000 wrote: »
    I bought my mum a new 43" webos 4.0 TV today. Interestingly the preview works when initially switching to freesat, but after selecting a channel and then reopening the EPG the preview doesn't work. So I assume its technically possible but they can be bothered fixing it.

That's not the humax 1100s freesat epg. It makes me wonder how they are getting the 7 day epg (permission from freesat or not I wonder, or maybe a downgraded version)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭tnegun

Same EPG on mine it doesn't seem to cache the content though eveytime you access it it loads on the fly slowly! Have to say I didn't buy the TV for FreeSat its a nice bonus just a pity its poorly implemented.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

cillo2000 wrote: »
    I bought my mum a new 43" webos 4.0 TV today. Interestingly the preview works when initially switching to freesat, but after selecting a channel and then reopening the EPG the preview doesn't work. So I assume its technically possible but they can be bothered fixing it.

That image is not Freesat, ITV HD is on channel 111. Did you set country to UK or Ireland?

This is FreeSat right?

Any tips on how to disable the narrator audio stream and set the other as default?
    edit. Found it under Settings, All Settings, Accessibility, Audio Description

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭leex

Santa bringing one of these. Do they all have screen cast ability? Tempted to get a Chromecast still reduced in Argos if it doesn't.

It does but haven't got it to work yet. Shows up as a device to cast to but didn't connect from my android phone. Connected my Win 10 laptop very easily though and most of the apps I'd cast from are available in the LG store too

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭deezell

I've been pursuing this lack of combined EPG quest since i bought a Samsung Qled, a very similar problem to those with LG combi tuner Tvs. See this blog.
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057816908

I settled for the fact that I managed to get the Freesat EPG on Satellite even though the TV was in region Ireland so that I could get Saorview terrestrial with RTE1 on button 1 etc. I'v left well enough alone since, 11 buttons to change from RTE1 to BBC1. I received an Alexa gadget for a christmas gift, and I though it might be smart enough to operate the TV through its 'skills'. Samsung TVs weren't listed though, but the Samsung SmartThings app could be added by an extended process. I done all this but so far all i can do is turn the TV off mostly, it doesn't always turn it on, and I've no luck changing tuners via Alexa. It's only semi skilled it seems, bu I did notice there was mention of LG in the Alexa app device settings, perhaps LGs have more skills for Alexa than Samsung, and this could be an option to overcome this ridiculous problem. If some one has an Alexa echo and an LG, maybe they can have ago at this.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭JRH

dammit , now i see this thread ...
    how could they be so stupid , picked up a 28 LG today for the mothers kitchen tv , figured it must be at least as workable as my own panasonic ( just hit the tv button to toggle ) The LG quick button fix works well enough , but then it seems to go onto all channels ... forget it , mothers 80 , forget apps . Ordered Ariva 153 combo .

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Spires

Also find this frustrating with my LG tv. Looking to buy a second tv that will list all channels together, I think Samsung has same issue, any recommendations?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭keepalive213

On some LG tvs this works

When saorview is on, press and hold the 1 button and save any channel to it.
    When sat channels are on press and hold the 2 button and save channel to it.
    A subsequent long press of 1 or 2 may just switch straight from terrestrial to satellite

This works on my set and is a definite improvement for switching between tuners.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Ging Ging

A subsequent long press of 1 or 2 may just switch straight from terrestrial to satellite

What a genius, saved me so much strife. I coupled this with a big button basic remote (with number pad) for an elderly relative.

Is it just an LG feature? Samsung telly such a pain. I can get netflix in 2 presses. BBC 1 takes eleven

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭landmarkjohn

Got caught with this today! I wish the guy in Powercity knew.... my 78 year old mother was sitting down in her walker seat listening to the expert advice!

At least I was able to recover the Set Top Box from the previous setup and use that. I can't believe this lack of functionality from LG in 2020. I thought they were near leaders in TV technology.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

Got caught with this today! I wish the guy in Powercity knew.... my 78 year old mother was sitting down in her walker seat listening to the expert advice!

At least I was able to recover the Set Top Box from the previous setup and use that. I can't believe this lack of functionality from LG in 2020. I thought they were near leaders in TV technology.

All LG TVs from 2017 have a Quick Access option where you can choose a Long Press of 1 for Saorview and a Long Press of 2 for Freesat/Satellite channels

https://www.lg.com/in/support/product-help/CT20150005-20150384421089

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVIjpbX2mts

• Registered Users Posts: 11 AilbeL200

I know what you are saying m8, I have spent zillions of hours back in the day on my knees prodding and poking at season interfaces, back when Elvis was a programmer not a singer. Money isn't even an issue, if it's available I'll get it.

The problem in my case, is there is not a solution which can be bought for what seems like an simple problem.
    It's probably unique to older Irish people. The parents grew up with analog tv, where you put up a "BBC" aerial and you tuned them on your ancient tv, and presto they appeared one after another Rte1, Rte2, BBC1, BBC2, UTV etc.
    No boxes, no menus, no nothing, just worked albeit with some snow.They don't want Sky, they don't want TV guides, they don't want to record, time shift, nothing only flick through the channels.

eg, the auld fella wants to watch the 9:00 pm news on Rte and then wants to get the 10:00pm news on BBC1

I have tried boxes from sky, freesat to E2 etc all "kinda" solutions but none as simple as it could be.

Because of bad eyesight, won't put on the glasses, the remote pointing the wrong way, the couch in the way of the box, someone has pressed the menu button on the box, or the radio button etc etc blah blah, the phone call comes "the BBC's won't work. - Aarrgh

I am not talking your average customer here, I'm talking a niche market

Or to cut out all the chat, this is the sum total of what he wants. and if anyone knows the best way of achieving that, then that's all I need. Occasional retuning of channels is not an issue, I can sort that, if and when it happens.

One Tv with One remote.

Press 1 = Rte1
    Press 2 = Rte2
    Press 3 = Tv 3
    Press 4 = Tg4
    Press 5 = BBC 1
    Press 6 = BBC 2
    Press 7 = ITV
    Press 8 = Ch4
    Press 9 = Sky News

Vol Up
    Vol Down

On/Off

Maybe according to this thread, the Walker or Hisense tv's can do this.

I bought a Walker recently, and it shows satelitte free view ( the bbcs) and saorview (rtes) on one channel list. My 3 mth old LG could not do it. One remote and one channel list. My mother is delighted with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

You little beaut! That works perfectly on my LG 43UK6950. So a year later - thank you very much!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭kala85

dowtchaboy wrote: »
    You little beaut! That works perfectly on my LG 43UK6950. So a year later - thank you very much!

Does it have to be a long press to change from satellite to tuner..

What about it is short press

kala85 wrote: »
    Does it have to be a long press to change from satellite to tuner..

What about it is short press

Short press will bring you to the channel on whatever system you're in

e.g.

Watching RTE1....

Short press of 2 will bring you to RTE 2

Long press of 2 will bring you to a stored channel on Sat e.g. BBC2 etc

• Advertisement

leex wrote: »

e.g.

Watching RTE1....

Still no resolution to this problem on Samsung, this will be the deciding factor in choosing a new set, after the QLED/OLED, debate, Samsung or LG

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Triboro

leex wrote: »

e.g.

Watching RTE1....

Is there a long press option to bring you to favourites?

Triboro wrote: »
    Is there a long press option to bring you to favourites?

Not sure to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭denismc

Just got a new LG with a voice activated remote, I just have to tell it which channel to watch, so switching between Rte,BBC etc is very easy.

Something to consider when buying a new tv.

denismc wrote: »
    Just got a new LG with a voice activated remote, I just have to tell it which channel to watch, so switching between Rte,BBC etc is very easy.

Something to consider when buying a new tv.

Just the ticket. My Samsung Qled has a voice operated remote, but it completely ignores terrestrial channel names when it's on a sat channel, and vice versa. Absolute bummer.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭hs5424

Just seen landmarkjohn's comment above and couldn't agree more.
    For simplicity I got my 88 year old mother a Walker set. Her first comment was ''we should have had this years ago''. One simple continuous channel list with no switching from one source to another. Simple.
    I often wonder why TV manufacturers cannot have a system like a 30 euro Linux sat receiver has, where you can rename, reorder, delete, move etc, etc, your channel list. You can even do it with your PC using a tool like dreambox edit.

Another interesting thing I noticed about Walker TV's is when installing them on an MATV system is that the channel plan is about 99% correct and agrees with your LCN at your head-end. LG's and Samsung for example will be all over the place. My experience is that the more expensive sets are a nightmare when reordering the channel plans compared to the cheaper Vestel type sets.

Agreed. If your'e using a walker, buy a Walker. I'm hinting for a second set. Not a single retailer has a setup to demonstrate antenna switching. They all use network or hdmi feed. DID had Saorview on some, but no Astra tuned in so no way to test switching.

Fwiw, I tried out a pc utility called Chansort, which allows you to edit channel list backup files taken off a TV. I'd half hoped I could create a mixed source favourites list, but as with the TV, the source files can only be edited from their own tuned channels. You must edit terrestrial and Sat seperately. I did however get some information from the author, who summarised, to his knowledge, which TVs could create and handle mixed favourites lists. Specifically, he named Sony Android sets, and definitely excluded Samsung and LG. Sony Bravia KD90 series is high on my list, so Im getting closer to my ideal. I've already seen it on display, stunning picture. Heres the Github link for Chansort and for queries.
    https://github.com/PredatH0r/ChanSort/issues/223#issuecomment-769214732

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

deezell wrote: »
    Fwiw, I tried out a pc utility called Chansort, which allows you to edit channel list backup files taken off a TV. I'd half hoped I could create a mixed source favourites list, but as with the TV, the source files can only be edited from their own tuned channels. You must edit terrestrial and Sat seperately. I did however get some information from the author, who summarised, to his knowledge, which TVs could create and handle mixed favourites lists. Specifically, he named Sony Android sets, and definitely excluded Samsung and LG. Sony Bravia KD90 series is high on my list, so Im getting closer to my ideal. I've already seen it on display, stunning picture. Heres the Github link for Chansort and for queries.
    https://github.com/PredatH0r/ChanSort/issues/223#issuecomment-769214732

just FYI - one thing you want to be careful about (on LG anyway) when loading in channel settings configured on PCs etc. Make sure you turn off the auto channel update features of the telly to prevent your loaded settings from being periodically overwritten

• Advertisement

I bought a Sony 55XH9005 in the end. Superb picture. Full array led screen is as good as Qled once set to your taste. Full mixed favourites list, Sat, Terrestrial and Freesat. A cinch to sort and renumber terrestrial if you set UK region to get Freesat. One button and the set will jump back to your chosen tuner. Epg button gives immediate access to choose Terrestrial, Freesat, General Sat, Favourite lists, while displaying current choice 7 day epg with channel picons. It's perfect. Ch + - button will traverse fav list from end of terrestrial to start of Freesat choices, switching tuners. There are some minor limitations while in favourites list with channel number button selection, if you're the type who knows the Freesat numbers off by heart, but you can't really go wrong using the EPG. Plus, just press the mic button on the remote and say 'sky news', or 'switch channel to BBC 1', it does the rest. Android system is excellent, all the apps you could want, it can respond to google, alexa, Apple, it has built in chromecast, and herself can get back to RTE1 in one button press if I've left it on Netflix or whatever. Problem solved.

Advertisement