Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sports Extra (TNT/Premier)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭Manc-Red

Wow!, that will be a massive coup for Setanta - Once I have HD on satellite I'll pay up to 25 pm without an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

This is massive for Setanta, they are now back in business with a bang, if it is true they will once again become a proper sports channel and with a HD channel would be well worth a subscription (€16.99 in today's Ireland might be still steep) .... Hopefully this will breed new life into the entire channel and lead to the creation of more jobs at the station....Well done Setanta!

I wonder if this is true whether Setanta could actually launch their own Irish versions of BT Sports 1 and 2/ESPN channel and put Irish advertisements on them... if they could it would mean a massive increase of both advertisement and subscription revenue, that could mean Setanta would be in a position to fight sky for Irish sports rights across all sports.

irishfeen wrote: »
    I wonder if this is true whether Setanta could actually launch their own Irish versions of BT Sports 1 and 2/ESPN channel and put Irish advertisements on them... if they could it would mean a massive increase of both advertisement and subscription revenue, that could mean Setanta would be in a position to fight sky for Irish sports rights.

I'd say that BT will have their own Irish versions on Sky/Cable for advertisements for our market.

Probably sold via Setanta.

Ah this deal has made my Saturday!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

price will probably be either 24.99 or 29.99 a month to pay for those rights. Dont forget that when Setanta were at their height the price was 22.99 and these rights are better rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭boris george

I reckon they will keep it close to the €20 mark.
    Incredible deal for Setanat to get.
    Really puts them back on the map.

Manc-Red wrote: »
    I'd say that BT will have their own Irish versions on Sky/Cable for advertisements for our market.

Probably sold via Setanta.

Ah this deal has made my Saturday!
    Possibly so, it will be interesting to see if we find out much about the details of the deal..... its an especially great deal for top 4 & ( 7th Liverpool :) ) supporters ... a subscription to Sky Sports 1 and Setanta/BT would cover almost all games shown on tv.

Possibly so, it will be interesting to see if we find out much about the details of the deal..... its an especially great deal for top 4 & ( 7th Liverpool :) ) supporters ... a subscription to Sky Sports 1 and Setanta/BT would cover almost all games shown on tv.

It's a game-changing deal for Setanta - I'm absolutely thrilled with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

I don't see how this is god news for subscribers who are going from having ESPN bundled as part of their sports package to now having to pay another expensive subscription for BT Sport/ Setanta.

I certainly won't be able to afford to pay 17 euro a month and I would imagine in this economic climate there will be a lot of people in the same position. Maybe 9.99 a month but no more than that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

if it works for Setanta then its bad news for FTA sport on RTE and TV3 as Setanta will hoover up the champions league on tuesday and wednesday first picks, which currently only cost RTE 1million a year and tv3 the same.

But its good news for those that like an alternative to paying 62euro to sky just to get skysports as they have to pay a min of 27 euro first then 35extra for the sports versus 25euro?(guessing) for Setanta.
    Interesting to see what will happen when the Europa league is on both Setanta and ESPN at the same time will it still be blacked out?

I don't see how this is god news for subscribers who are going from having ESPN bundled as part of their sports package to now having to pay another expensive subscription for BT Sport/ Setanta.

I certainly won't be able to afford to pay 17 euro a month and I would imagine in this economic climate there will be a lot of people in the same position. Maybe 9.99 a month but no more than that.
    Its moving a potential three different subscriptions down to two, and Sky Sports 1 is actually the only subscription people might want with sky if its only for the Premier League (only a few smaller games usually on SS2)... ESPN was bundled with sky sports simply because it must have been massively loss making here under subscription.

With this deal also comes the entire BT sports portfolio... Premier League, Serie A, Ligue 1, Brasileirão, Bundesliga, SPL, Moto GP along with Setanta's portfolio including Champions League, Europa League, F1, Airtricity League, Top 14, GAA and other Irish sports programming..... That's begining to look like a serious sports channel subscription.

if it works for Setanta then its bad news for FTA sport on RTE and TV3 as Setanta will hoover up the champions league on tuesday and wednesday first picks, which currently only cost RTE 1million a year and tv3 the same.

But its good news for those that like an alternative to paying 62euro to sky just to get skysports as they have to pay a min of 27 euro first then 35extra for the sports versus 25euro?(guessing) for Setanta.
    Interesting to see what will happen when the Europa league is on both Setanta and ESPN at the same time will it still be blacked out?
    To be honest RTE and TV3 are so broke that it might either be no FTA channel will even bid for rights or Setanta picking them up...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

Wonder how this will affect Eircom broadband subscribers who were able to watch Setanta's saturday 3pm games via the Eircom Sportshub platform. Will they get the extra games on BT as well?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

uefa would still want a irish fta broadcaster to show one game each from the champions league or the europa league

Wonder how this will affect Eircom broadband subscribers who were able to watch Setanta's saturday 3pm games via the Eircom Sportshub platform. Will they get the extra games on BT as well?
    Don't think so, in fact I wouldn't be surprised if this practice now ended as Setanta want them viewers on Eircom to subscribe properly... if this is true Setanta will have the wind at their backs to transform their own channels and how people view them.

ftakeith wrote: »
    uefa would still want a irish fta broadcaster to show one game each from the champions league or the europa league
    Yeah agree, I think their will be at least a game a week on FTA television for the foreseeable future...

Does anyone know if the relationship between TV3 and Setanta still exists? .. same owners or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

Don't think so, in fact I wouldn't be surprised if this practice now ended as Setanta want them viewers on Eircom to subscribe properly... if this is true Setanta will have the wind at their backs to transform their own channels and how people view them.

That would be disappointing. I'm an Eircom subscriber myself, so I'd like at least the Sat 3pm games to continue next season via Eircom BB.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

also setanta should try to offer access live on demand on their website and through saorview if possible to stop internet piracy

ftakeith wrote: »
    also setanta should try to offer access live on demand on their website and through saorview if possible to stop internet piracy
    Well I was always of the opinion that they should have launched either all channels or even one FTA channel on Saorview to broadcast rights that need to be FTA e.g. GAA Championship/World Cup/Olympics etc. and to promote their subscription channels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭druss

Eircom have been making a lot of noises about their IPTV offering as well. (I know, i know, they've done this before. But they really seem serious this time).

Before, i would have said that it was a given that they'd have bundled Setanta proactively. I wonder if the BT deal has negative impacts on that now?

I wonder will Setanta now go all out and buy the rights for the evening highlights from RTE and market themselves as the "home of the Premier League in Ireland", along with the 71 games they could have highlights of matches on Saturday's, Sunday's, Monday's and midweek.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Joseph Reilly

For me price wise it does not sound encouraging. I only subscribed to ESPN for the UFC. Hope it does not work out much more than the current price.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭boris george

I wonder will Setanta now go all out and buy the rights for the evening highlights from RTE and market themselves as the "home of the Premier League in Ireland", along with the 71 games they could have highlights of matches on Saturday's, Sunday's, Monday's and midweek.

They are the favourites to land it and have publicly said that if the rights were offered they would certainly be interested.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

We'll have to see the detail when/if the deal is done. Its good in the sense that there will only be a need to subscribe to two packages to get all the Premier League games. There is a reason that ESPN did the bundling deals with Sky and UPC in Ireland - they were not obviously having success being marketed as a standalone premium channel.

Obviously there are cons. UPC viewers may lose out the most as I'd imagine both Setanta Ireland and ESPN will become part of the package and go premium now - a big loss (along with ESPN America which is closing). As Setanta Sports 1 no longer really exists as an independent entity (being now merely the name under which Premier Sports is listed on the Irish EPG), this removes a lot of flexibility from Setanta as far as scheduling is concerned. For example Setanta could not show two games at 8:00pm for the quarter final stage of the Europa League as Premier Sports was already committed to showing rugby league at that time, this will hit Setanta again during the qualifying rounds of the Europa League and matchday one of the group stages (although I think they're fine after that). The point is that Premier Sports commitments limit how Setanta can move programming to that channel now which means that more of Setanta's "premium" programming will have to be aired on Setanta Ireland. Incidently, the Champions League and Europa League rights are now tied up till the end of the 2014-15 season.

Will there be a price increase over the existing Setanta pack on satellite? Almost certainly - although it might not be as high as you think as BT are saving money by allowing Setanta to handle their distribution and marketing in Ireland instead of having to do it themselves. Nonetheless, BT will want their cut - and want to make back the money they paid for the Irish rights to the Premier League - and Setanta were bearly breaking even themselves, so expect a price increase of some order.
    Its moving a potential three different subscriptions down to two, and Sky Sports 1 is actually the only subscription people might want with sky if its only for the Premier League (only a few smaller games usually on SS2)... ESPN was bundled with sky sports simply because it must have been massively loss making here under subscription.

Sky have given an undertaking to Ofcom not to schedule Premier League games on Sky Sports 3 or 4, which they do not make available to certain platforms in the UK. Its only an undertaking but the threat from Ofcom is that if they (Sky) were to break it, they'll require Sky to offer Sky Sports 3 & 4 wholesale to all pay-TV platforms. I'm not sure you can only take 1 Sky Sports channel on either Sky or UPC anymore though it certainly used to be possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Joseph Reilly

Any expected time for the press release on Monday?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭Batesy

Great news for Setanta. By the way their current monthly sub of €16.99 is a bit of a joke in its current form. I actually don't know anyone that subscribes at that price.

I'm currently on a €5 a month deal with them and that's pretty good. I've gone as far as paying €8 a month but never €16.99. I only really need it for the 3pm Saturday games and €16.99 is too much.

However if this deal goes through I think €16.99 would be great value and they would make a killing in the market if they left the sub at that.

Wishful thinking, I know.

:)

icdg wrote: »
    Sky have given an undertaking to Ofcom not to schedule Premier League games on Sky Sports 3 or 4, which they do not make available to certain platforms in the UK. Its only an undertaking but the threat from Ofcom is that if they (Sky) were to break it, they'll require Sky to offer Sky Sports 3 & 4 wholesale to all pay-TV platforms. I'm not sure you can only take 1 Sky Sports channel on either Sky or UPC anymore though it certainly used to be possible.
    As you say it was definitely available to customers before because for years we used to just get SS1 because we would only be watching the Premier League... I don't know if its still available but it would definitely cut costs for us, even if it was €10 cheaper then the 4 Sky Sports channels we could use that €10 towards Setanta/BT and if fact save quiet a bit rather then having three different full subscriptions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,619 ✭✭✭Infoanon

The proposed link up between Setanta and BT is the perfect solution for both parties.

Setanta can piggy back on BT Sports (and their probable extensive advertising campaign) and earn some income for Setanta Ire/1 - as a bundle they have a sellable product.

For BT it solves the 3 into 2 subscription issue and gives them a ready made admin service.

Price wise - I could see the price staying circa < €19.99 otherwise it will flop - and for Setanta its some form of income .

• Advertisement

Infoanon wrote: »
    The proposed link up between Setanta and BT is the perfect solution for both parties.

Setanta can piggy back on BT Sports (and their probable extensive advertising campaign) and earn some income for Setanta Ire/1 - as a bundle they have a sellable product.

For BT it solves the 3 into 2 subscription issue and gives them a ready made admin service.

Price wise - I could see the price staying circa < €19.99 otherwise it will flop - and for Setanta its some form of income .
    It could perceivably be more then just subscription revenue that might result in this for Setanta.... if for instance this agreement reached included an Irish variation of BT Sport 1/2 and ESPN for advertisement purposes then BT/Setanta could share that revenue raised... with the rights between the two they now have a serious suite of sports rights which could be lucrative in the Irish advertisement market.

Advertisement