Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The N2 era

• 01-10-2020 6:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭

Why didn't they ever actually call it N2 on air ?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

I’m not quite sure. It’s like they got a design agency to come up with this whole look (one of the most radical looks, I think, any Irish or even U.K. channel has ever had, even looking back now 23 years on) but got cold feet about actually changing the name again, so soon after the last rebrand. Therefore, while the channel was visually identified as “N2”, announcers still called the channel “Network 2”; and that continued to be the case up until 2003, when everything got the name “RTE” slapped on it and it became “RTE Network 2” for a brief period.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭Rick_

I don't believe that they actually changed the channel name. N2 was just a handier way (in terms of a 'cool' logo) to have the name displayed on screen but without having to put the full word 'network'. Some continuity announcers still just referred to the channel as '2'.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Andy454

If you still use a sky digibox and RF out, if you put the box on RTE 2 and auto tune the TV, the TV will store the station as "NETWORK 2"

Advertisement