Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

American justice system in Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭touts

The justice industry in the US profits by putting people into their prisons.

The justice industry here profits by keeping people out of prison. Someone who commits 300 crimes is a cash cow for the lawyers, judges, etc. If they were locked away on the third offence then that revenue stream dries up. So they keep them walking the streets committing crimes and earning money for the justice industry.

Personally I'd prefer the American Justice Industry model. At least there the people who suffer are those convicted of crime not those who are the victims of repeat offenders

• Registered Users Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

America has more people in jail per capita than anywhere else on earth. More black men in jail than South Africa had under apartheid. Crime is still at extremely high levels compared to every other fully developed nation.

Not sure why we in Ireland should be attempting to emulate a system that clearly isn't working.

The US war on drugs that we along with many other places followed plays a big role in our crime rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

I am well aware of the failings of the legislation, however it had to be stated that the numbers jailed for unpaid fines has since plummeted, which was one of the objectives when the legislation was originally conceived.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Harvey Weinstein would be interested in your opinions.........

He got away with it for years. If he wasn't rich he would have been caught years ago and we all know this.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,609 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

rossie1977 wrote: »

Not sure why we in Ireland should be attempting to emulate a system that clearly isn't working.

Unfortunately whenever there is a discussion of crime and justice there is always a cohort who have the simplistic idea of 'lock 'em up and throw away the key' as the solution. Any cursory glance at the American justice system would tell you that that strategy is a failure, they have more than 2 million prisoners and it hasnt made any dent in the levels of crime.

From what I can see most of our problem here in Ireland is repeat criminals and the practice of concurrent sentences. If you get arrested for robbery or burglary here there will be approximately a year between being caught and facing the courts. Criminals know that they are going to get a concurrent sentence so then during that year they are actually incentivised to go and commit even more burglaries- after all if you know every sentence you serve will run concurrently then you might as well go down for 10 burglaries as going down for one. The structure of the system actually makes it worth criminals while to commit even more crimes, its a real in for a penny, in for a pound scenario.

One thing I dont get here is that there is two simple ways of solving this. For a start put an end to concurrent sentences, if you do 10 burglaries you have to be getting 10 sentences running one after the other. But secondly why are we not using GPS ankle tags on anyone who is out on bail? Its very simple, if the Gardai knows a criminals location at all times then they cannot commit any more crime. Ankle tags effectively prevent crime because who would be dumb enough to commit one when technology can actually place them at the scene of the crime. Right now they can go rob a shop at knifepoint, cover their face and the CCTV is useless. But put an ankle tag on them and now you have irrefutable evidence placing them at the location at the time the crime was committed. Its a game changer IMO.

I strongly believe if we ankle tagged criminals here you would see a large drop in crime, remove their ability to remain anonymous/invisible and suddenly if they do anything they're going to get caught and convicted because of that tag around their ankle.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

Fines for a certain group in our society are a waste of time as they never pay them knowing full well theres no prison space to put them into, perhaps spend 3 or 4 hours in prison and your fine is quenched. Happens for heaps of no insurance cases . Fines should have 20-50 a week taken off your dole but that'll never happen in Ireland.
    2 new prisons minimum badly needed.

Ohio9 wrote: »
    Many individuals in this forum seem to idolize the American justice system where people from disadvantaged backgrounds always get the chop and rich can get away with almost anything. People idolize how criminals get proper sentences of hundreds of years which punishes the criminal properly and acts as a detterent.
    When was the last time you saw a rich person get sentenced to death, that for the same crime a poor person would be.
    I am a sadist so I don't really mind but it is unfair.

Can you point out a situation where a poor person got death and a rich person didn't for the exact same offence? I would be surprised considering the death penalty is abolished in most states and where it still exists, is reserved for the most serious crimes.

Your statement is dripping with pre existing bias against the us system and while I disagree with a large portion of how they operate, long sentences and the 3 strike system I agree with albeit I think 5 or even 10 strikes would be fairer.

Geuze wrote: »
    I'd say we have enough prison spaces.

But we put people in for not paying fines.

Instead, garnish their income, and free up the prison space.

No, we largely don't due to lack of space. Most fines are for the very people that know they won't go to jail for not paying, career criminals.

The TV license which is what people usually drop when it comes to prison for fines requires a lot more than simple not having one to end up in jail. You have a TV, you get a letter saying "oh you need a license" then you get another saying "get a damn license" then you get a summons to court, you can still get a license before the court date and the case will be dropped, then you get a hearing and get a fine, then you have a few months to pay the fine, you refuse to pay the fine, a Garda then arrives at your house and you can pay the fine it go to jail and you again don't pay the fine and eventually end up in jail for about 4 hours while you are lodged and released on early release as a non violent low sentence offender. If You allowed the situation to go that far, take your medicine.

J. Marston wrote: »
    Exemption to the rule and it took decades of open secret sexual assaults to finally make a move on him.

Can't prosecute without complaints

Chinasea wrote: »
    Hike up the policing/Gardai imo. Dublin city centre overrun with so called petty criminals with hundreds of convictions. Many are violent and downright dangerous.

Most of them actually feel entitled to help themselves to your/my property.

What difference would that make? They don't care if they are arrested, it's just a minor occupational hazard to them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭yrreg0850

tdf7187 wrote: »
    Drumm was the patsy and yes he was convicted. The fella above him was acquitted in rather strange circumstances.

As far as I know he just got a " slap on the wrist".

The yanks had him in lock up while he was fighting extradition, until he realized ,that if he came home he would just have to report to a garda station occasionally.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭Gerry T

The sooner we introduce technology the better. Picture it, every criminal at home with an ankle bracelet, some could be let out during day light for a couple of hrs, dangerous criminals behind bars. Essentially the state stops paying to keep these people away from the general public. This would give judges more flexibility knowing that there weren't as limited a number of prison cells, also young criminals wouldn't be getting an apprenticeship in prison from more hardened criminals.
    We don't need an American system, we just need to have these repeat defenders locked in the house. Their friends/family would soon get pissed off and knock some sense into him/her.

the message has already been sent that it is against the law and is not acceptable to commit a crime, the criminals already know but they don't care.
    sentences should be increased absolutely along with other measures, but if we are doing it in the aim of sending a message then we are just wasting our time.

apparently it was a very difficult and costly prison to work in it's day, and it was decided it was no longer tenable or viable to keep it open as such, hence it is unlikely to be reactivated as a prison.
    it's gone as a prison and people just need to move on.

it already is a sentencing and not a holiday.
    if individual inmates see it as a holiday, there isn't much you can do about that.

Serious sentences would send a message. A pickpocket than knew they were getting 5 years for the hundred euro they got would think twice. They would still stay on social welfare but they wouldn't take the same chances

Indeed but it was supposed to be replaced and never was

You can take the PlayStations away for starters. They need something, I understand that and I'm not a cruel man but **** that. They can read quality books, not trash. They can take classes to actually improve themselves and now importantly, learn legitimate skills. Too many classes in prisons are almost empty cause the prisoners don't bother. They have made the career choice to always be a Criminal. 5 years for 1 wallet? Might make them realise they made the wrong decision.

However, after all that the simple reality is a Criminal in jail is not committing crimes against decent people while locked up. if you factor in stopping their dole, the cost of legal aid every time they go to court and the cost of a judge + Gardai compared to the cost of prisoner officers I'm thinking the be cost of locking then up isn't as much as the numbers suggest if actually even cheaper

That's enough justification for me.

Serious sentences would send a message. A pickpocket than knew they were getting 5 years for the hundred euro they got would think twice. They would still stay on social welfare but they wouldn't take the same chances

You can take the PlayStations away for starters. They need something, I understand that and I'm not a cruel man but **** that. They can read quality books, not trash. They can take classes to actually improve themselves and now importantly, learn legitimate skills. Too many classes in prisons are almost empty cause the prisoners don't bother. They have made the career choice to always be a Criminal. 5 years for 1 wallet? Might make them realise they made the wrong decision

It might make them kill rather than get caught.

Gerry T wrote: »
    It might make them kill rather than get caught.

Unlikely, considering that would carry a real life sentence.

But sure on that basis let them away all the time in case one gets violent.

The sooner we introduce technology the better. Picture it, every criminal at home with an ankle bracelet, some could be let out during day light for a couple of hrs, dangerous criminals behind bars. Essentially the state stops paying to keep these people away from the general public. This would give judges more flexibility knowing that there weren't as limited a number of prison cells, also young criminals wouldn't be getting an apprenticeship in prison from more hardened criminals.
    We don't need an American system, we just need to have these repeat defenders locked in the house. Their friends/family would soon get pissed off and knock some sense into him/her.

And what happens when they leave the house as they must certainly will, on a daily basis?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,732 ✭✭✭SeanW

Ohio9 wrote: »
    Many individuals in this forum seem to idolize the American justice system where people from disadvantaged backgrounds always get the chop and rich can get away with almost anything. People idolize how criminals get proper sentences of hundreds of years which punishes the criminal properly and acts as a detterent.
    When was the last time you saw a rich person get sentenced to death, that for the same crime a poor person would be.
    I am a sadist so I don't really mind but it is unfair.
    There is a happy medium.

You can have things like a 3 Strikes system (maybe not 3 but maybe 10 or so) without having private prisons and all the other things.

We don't need a sadistic over the top system that looks for excuses to punish people to the max, but we could have something that does not allow someone with 124 convictions to kill someone while out on bail for their 125th crime.

Something properly balanced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭jimmyrustle

Geuze wrote: »
    Eamon Lynch, with over 500 convictions, was involved in a RTA in Co. Donegal:

"The court heard that Lynch, who previously lived at a number of addresses in Derry city, was believed to be travelling at 165 kph on a road with a 100 kph speed limit when he crashed into a car driven by the school leaver.

The Derry man, who had almost 500 previous convictions, had been drinking, had no driving licence, no valid NCT for his car, no tax or insurance when the accident occurred."

https://www.irishnews.com/news/2017/01/28/news/derry-man-with-worst-criminal-record-jailed-for-road-death-908777/

I want a system where Mr. Lynch isn't out and about with 500 convictions.

I also want a system where Eamon can't do what he did after the accident:
    at.

From Derry. How in the jaysis did the dissidents never take him out under the guise of their community policing?

Unlikely, sure on that basis let them away all the time in case one gets violent.

That's how it works in some american states. 3 strike rule, and offenders shoot to kill.
    If the punishment doesn't suit the crime then offenders get more vicious.

Our revolving door and minor crimes not being punished Consistently is the problem. With an ankle bracelet, 140 convictions could be 140*6mths locked up at home. No major cost to the state and their not walking about. Hell you could have anyone with 3 convictions on a curfew, so easy and so effective.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭soups05

I will start off by saying I have been a victim of crime several times so I am most certainly biased. Also this idea was suggested by another poster on a similar thread so not mine.
    Scumbag commits a crime, get the usual suspended sentence, given a chance etc. Fair enough, allows for a simple mistake, error in judgement.
    After a set amount, say 3 crimes, the scumbag is no longer allowed to get a suspended sentence, each crime must be punished by a spell in prison. BUT with an added mandatory extra of a month per previous conviction.
    Let's say this law comes into effect in may. Any crimes committed before May get a general overall addition, let's say total of a year even if it is 500 convictions. Anyone with multiple convictions will soon rack up lots of time inside, ten crimes with a 1 year term, plus ten months for each extra and suddenly they have a real chance of going away for a long time. This then puts the criminal in a position of having to make a choice of real time away or change their lifestyle.
    The buy one get one free approach of concurrent sentences would also have to end of course.

Failing that, the other option is make the punishment fit the crime. I for one would be more than happy to break the jaws of the two who attacked me. Let them feel the same pain I felt/continue to feel.

three years of waiting and they walked away scot free ffs. Laughing their asses off as they left court.
    The system is broken when criminals have nothing to fear and normal people have nothing to hope for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,983 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

You can take the PlayStations away for starters. They need something, I understand that and I'm not a cruel man but **** that. They can read quality books, not trash. They can take classes to actually improve themselves and now importantly, learn legitimate skills. Too many classes in prisons are almost empty cause the prisoners don't bother. They have made the career choice to always be a Criminal. 5 years for 1 wallet? Might make them realise they made the wrong decision.

However, after all that the simple reality is a Criminal in jail is not committing crimes against decent people while locked up. if you factor in stopping their dole, the cost of legal aid every time they go to court and the cost of a judge + Gardai compared to the cost of prisoner officers I'm thinking the be cost of locking then up isn't as much as the numbers suggest if actually even cheaper

That's enough justification for me.

because they are a threat to society is a good reason to lock them up, yes, absolutely, and that is how it should be.
    my point is that locking people up to send a message doesn't work, it's pointless and it's political type nonsense designed to make people feel better.
    political type speak has no place in terms of dealing with this issue nor has political type stunts.
    absolutely increased sentences, an end to concurrent sentences, more gardai and more prison spaces, are the sensible things we need, they will allow us to manage the issue and deal with it effectively.
    we will never eradicate it, but we can certainly keep individuals out of society and protect the public much much better.

shut down alcohol action ireland now! end MUP today!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭blackbox

...absolutely increased sentences, an end to concurrent sentences, more gardai and more prison spaces, are the sensible things we need, they will allow us to manage the issue and deal with it effectively.
    we will never eradicate it, but we can certainly keep individuals out of society and protect the public much much better.

I never understood the rationale behind concurrent sentencing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

From Derry. How in the jaysis did the dissidents never take him out under the guise of their community policing?

Maybe he is well connected?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,609 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I know to many people what you've written there seems like sound logic but unfortunately it is not. Its long been established in the field of criminal psychology that when a criminal decides to whether or not to commit a crime their thinking is not on a potential sentence, is it only on will I get caught? Thats all they think about, not the sentence, studies have shown this to be the case for decades now.

So the idea that you introduce a 5 year sentence for robbing 100 euro will make them think twice just doesnt wash. Throw addictive drugs like heroin into the mix and then you can be sure it wont work, they want their fix and that is their only consideration. We see this is the states, there are prisoners inside for getting caught dealing weed three times. Some states hand them 20+ year sentences, the criminals knew that but they still dealt the weed anyway. Its 70k per prisoner per year here so 70 x 25 years = 1.7m euro. Are you really going to spend that amount just to lock someone up for dealing weed three times? Its a complete waste of resources and even if we wanted society couldnt afford that kind of bill.

The best way to avoid much of this is prevention of crime in the first place. We have the technology of ankle tags, go use it and suddenly criminals know they cant take a dump without their location being known and logged.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,983 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

blackbox wrote: »
    I never understood the rationale behind concurrent sentencing.

i would agree, it certainly is something that doesn't and never did make sense.

shut down alcohol action ireland now! end MUP today!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

If politicians had the willpower this problem could be fixed overnight - like the way the found a billion to bail all the baks out, overnight - or how they decided to dig up and meter every house in the state to tax their water - overnight - or gow they decided many other things never democratically voted on or demanded by the electorate. I agree totally with an american style punitive system that frees our streets of crininal vermin in a maKe them feel the pain and pay their way prison - earn your food by making envelopes or sewing hotel sheets or doing laundry and make the prisons pay for themselves - as someone has shrewdly commented here if you add up all the laywers, barristers, assistants, researchers, admjnistrators and gaurds fees or salaries and balance that against the cost of keeping someone in prison it will start becoming clear that is does pay to put them away - and for 20 or 30 yeara at a time.

And stop payng them dole when they are in so that don’t come out after 3 or 4 years to a 40 or 50k cash bonus in their bank account. This country is a joke. The same criminals are classified as homeless while in prison and put on free house for life waiting lists while they are inside - why are the media not talking about those items?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

I think instead of prison they should go to a centre every Saturday morning, and listen to recorded speeches of MD Higgins, Mary Robinson, Bertie Ahern, Eamon De Valera.
    Let them out in the late afternoon if they can give a good summary of what they heard.

That's how it works in some american states. 3 strike rule, and offenders shoot to kill.
    If the punishment doesn't suit the crime then offenders get more vicious.

Our revolving door and minor crimes not being punished Consistently is the problem. With an ankle bracelet, 140 convictions could be 140*6mths locked up at home. No major cost to the state and their not walking about. Hell you could have anyone with 3 convictions on a curfew, so easy and so effective.

Not at all. 3 strikes, which I said was too harsh had not resulted in petty criminals becoming murderers. Please show me stats backing that.

Who enforces the curfew? We have curfews as part of bail already and it takes Garda time.

Do you realise why we call them criminals? They don't follow rules so suggesting house arrest just stinks of never having dealt with any Criminals and nativity

If politicians had the willpower this problem could be fixed overnight - like the way the found a billion to bail all the baks out, overnight -
    They had no choice, if they didn't we would have been in a far worse situation.
    or how they decided to dig up and meter every house in the state to tax their water - overnight -
    The people of Ireland pay to process water to drink. For other utilities such as gas, coal, electricity, food each house pays for what it uses. You seem o think Water is different. This was a condition from the EU bailout.
    or gow they decided many other things never democratically voted on or demanded by the electorate.
    They were democratically voted, we elect a govt and they make decisions. It's not possible to hold a referendum of the people for every decision.
    Take the water example, either we pay what we use or it gets paid from central taxation. If there's not enough money and we know there isn't, then you and me will pay more taxes.
    I agree totally with an american style punitive system that frees our streets of crininal vermin in a maKe them feel the pain and pay their way prison - earn your food by making envelopes or sewing hotel sheets or doing laundry and make the prisons pay for themselves - as someone has shrewdly commented here if you add up all the laywers, barristers, assistants, researchers, admjnistrators and gaurds fees or salaries and balance that against the cost of keeping someone in prison it will start becoming clear that is does pay to put them away - and for 20 or 30 yeara at a time.
    Nothing pays to lock people away, there are ankle bracelets and that keeps them out of the public and doesn't cost the state.

And stop payng them dole when they are in so that don’t come out after 3 or 4 years to a 40 or 50k cash bonus in their bank account. This country is a joke.
    Does that happen, real question as I haven't a clue. If so it seems crazy.

The same criminals are classified as homeless while in prison and put on free house for life waiting lists while they are inside - why are the media not talking about those items?
    For those that have to be locked away, when they do get out if they have no job, no chance of getting a job and nowhere to live, what do you think they will do ? They would need some support to break the cycle.

• Advertisement

Not at all. 3 strikes, which I said was too harsh had not resulted in petty criminals becoming murderers. Please show me stats backing that.
    I've a friend living in California and he told me people there fear that criminals will be more desperate and would resort to that.
    Who enforces the curfew? We have curfews as part of bail already and it takes Garda time.
    The ankle braclet is a GPS device, so basically using geo-tagging if your say 20m from your house/apartment after curfew then the police get a alarm and they can go pick you up. They can even use google maps to get you !
    The beauty is you heat your own house, buy and cook your own food, pay your rent (maybe).
    Do you realise why we call them criminals? They don't follow rules so suggesting house arrest just stinks of never having dealt with any Criminals and nativity
    I don't think asking them to just stay at home would work but it really annoys me that these people cost us so much money.
    Don't get me wrong, rapists & known violent people should always be put in prison.
    These people could work in society, cutting grass, painting walls, sweeping streets etc... during the day to get some money to help them pay their rent. But "punishing" people I don't think is a deterrent.

Advertisement