Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Why the sudden hysteria over climate change?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Charles Ingles

C-IY3qRUQAAlVRm.jpg

That's it case closed

• Registered Users Posts: 27,869 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The BBC is in the grip of this hysteria, there's a total nonsense program on right now, Steve Backshall Undiscovered Worlds in the Arctic. He's going up a sound in a kayak to show us melting sea ice. This requires a helicopter and multiple engine powered support vessels. Doubtless there was a recon trip. He seems completely obvlivious to the carbon footprint in this endeavour to show us the effects of climate change. That's hysteria.
    I don't think anyone in the BBC would have given funding for this junket except every 10 minutes he goes on a hysterical rant pointing at melting sea ice.

It should be mentioned that UK carbon emissons since 1990 are down 30% so I'm not even sure who he is being hysterical towards. I don't think the hysteria has anything to do with real concerns about climate change, it's a mass hysterical outbreak of virtue signalling.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

I've watched 40 years of this climate change nonsense

Back to when you were a twinkle in your grandmother's eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

That's it case closed

The vast consensus of scientists from multiple fields agree humans are impacting the climate and in a bad way. I'll probably take their word for it.

Of course the water has been muddied by governments and big industries who can't let this consensus go unchallenged because this means mega money, lost jobs and lost votes etc etc. The world turns on power and money and they won't let scientists (sure what do they really know anyway) get in the way. It's worsened by poorer countries with dirtier industries and less money to do anything about the situation.

It's also hard to sell climate change because it doesn't impact us right now. It's the same way people drink too much, eat too much junk, smoke cigarettes and all the bad stuff in life. Telling a teenager they shouldn't smoke vs a 50/60 year old with terminal lung cancer wishing they'd never started.

We'll be long dead either way before anything really kicks off and sure why bother doing anything about it. It's not our problem is it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

We'll be long dead either way before anything really kicks off and sure why bother doing anything about it. It's not our problem is it.

That's the main reason I'm not too worried if it did turn out to be true.

Still doesn't help that we're being gouged for a problem that isn't ours though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭NaFirinne

We are probably getting really close to the End times disasters that were foretold in the Book of Revelation in the Bible. And the Establishment want a way to fool people into thinking these disasters are a result of climate change so the keep on living in Sin and don't repent and follow God instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

What I don't get is this presentation that the people of the future won't be able to adapt to the planet as it changes and that we have to try and stop it changing.

If the polar ice caps melt and the gulf stream goes south and Ireland has a climate like everyone else at this latitude don't you think our decenants will be able to cope with it.

Eventually maybe but many of the major cities on Earth would be devastated if the ice caps melted. Gone would be NYC, Los Angeles, London, DC, Beijing, Shanghai, Hong Kong, whole of Florida, Netherlands, Denmark, Belgium.

Ireland itself would be a vastly different country as most of the urban areas like Dublin, Cork, Limerick, Belfast, Derry, Galway cities would be completely uninhabitable

TN8kZRz.png

And nobody can predict what would happen the climate if that much cold fresh water is dumped into the salt water oceans of the world.

That's the main reason I'm not too worried if it did turn out to be true.

Still doesn't help that we're being gouged for a problem that isn't ours though.

People are inherently selfish. We can't look past ourselves and our greed. Can't be helped, it's just the way of things. The world will go with or without humans either way.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭sk8erboii

NaFirinne wrote: »
    We are probably getting really close to the End times disasters that were foretold in the Book of Revelation in the Bible. And the Establishment want a way to fool people into thinking these disasters are a result of climate change so the keep on living in Sin and don't repent and follow God instead.

laughingemoji-560.JPEG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

People are inherently selfish. We can't look past ourselves and our greed. Can't be helped, it's just the way of things. The world will go with or without humans either way.

The greed is coming at us though. Anything goes in the name of environment.

• Advertisement

OK, so what would differ?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,115 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

What I hate about the chancers is they always say there's time to fix it. Wait 5 years and if the world is cooling down too much they won't know what yarn to spin next.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Accumulated data and empirical evidence. Any informed observer would have been able to tell you this would happen. The next big thing is trigger points, the runaway moment. The question is if anything is done to avoid same or if action simply puts it off a bit longer. If you are very young you'll be one of those who discover whether we did enough now and in the near future.

So the bible makes no mention of cutting carbon emissions then?

What I hate about the chancers is they always say there's time to fix it. Wait 5 years and if the world is cooling down too much they won't know what yarn to spin next.

Fear and control only works on the people when you offer them the hope of redemption
    Hence why I call it the climate change cult

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Do we have so little faith in our children and theirs that if there is a problem that they can't fix it

That's the real sadness not the rising water

Do we have so little faith in our children and theirs that if there is a problem that they can't fix it

I believe the children are the future

We need to make Waterworld part of the school curriculum.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,115 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

There hasn't been a single flood in Ireland where man wasn't too blame, either for allowing houses to be built on a flood plain, built too close to the sea or drainage systems not properly maintained.

We need to make Waterworld part of the school curriculum.

The film?

• Advertisement

Ah right, **** up the water, the air, the soil, and die in comfort with that thought!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,977 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

What always gets me is the lack of stuff getting banned if the world really is fecked.

But no, sure we'll not ban big cars, burning coal etc, we'll just bring in more tax from it instead.

Either we are at a tipping point for the world or we aren't. If it's as serious as they are saying, just start banning stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,836 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

This is far from sudden.

I'd also rather listen to what qualified scientists have to say than some armchair "experts".

• Registered Users Posts: 26,176 ✭✭✭✭noodler

It's all fake.

All the scientists are in almost unanimous consensus but I'm an old idiot who doesn't care about anyone else so it's all fake.

There hasn't been a single flood in Ireland where man wasn't too blame, either for allowing houses to be built on a flood plain, built too close to the sea or drainage systems not properly maintained.

Quiet a large part of the Mexican gulf coast is disappearing. Irelands coast is quite high so rising sea levels will not be a huge problem assuming Dublin, Cork, Limerick, Galway and Waterford can be flood protected. Easy peasy I'm sure ;)

Rothko wrote: »
    This is far from sudden.

I'd also rather listen to what qualified scientists have to say than some armchair "experts".

Whoah whoah whoah. Charles has been observing the climate for 40 years which is effectively the gold standard for climate change monitoring and he reckons it's all rubbish. Who are YOU to challenge that view?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,285 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Boats are the future. Invest now and you'll be able to sail off into the sunset....

Of course the youths of today will have to make do with the scraps of the planet we leave them. That's their problem though. I'm alright Jack, as I'll be gone by the time it really hits the fan

• Registered Users Posts: 9,675 ✭✭✭buried

Everybody, especially our youth are being told to worry about this climate change craic. Fair enough, but why stop there in the forced worry over events concerning our planet? Why don't the powers that be tell the youth about all the rest of the natural cataclysmic disasters that could well happen here in the morning? Such as some of the biggest wipeout cataclysmic disasters that have struck the planet numerous times before. Every year the planet runs twice into a asteroid stream going through the solar system, the taurid meteor stream, remnants from the comet Encke. Some of the largest meteor objects in our solar system are in this steam. Some of these things are 20 - 30km width in size. It takes the earth several weeks to enter and exist this stream. One hit of one of those objects and we can all say bye bye to it all. No mention of this from any state agency anywhere. The worldwide funding for the detection of these objects is literally nothing.

We are so concerned with our own planet being the total end all of everything we have totally lost sight to the bigger natural disasters not of our own immediate vision and potential blame. Can't tax people for that craic you see. Climate change could well be the actual result of our solar systems star, the suns increased activity. The sun is powering up. Its a star. The Star tomorrow could blast out a coronal mass ejection explosion that could wipe out all electromagnetic power on this planet forever. No mention of that little nugget that has also happened numerous times before. Check out The Carrington event that happened in 1859. If that same event happened again, all electrical power on the planet is shut down. No electricity - No power to keep nuclear power plants operating which results in Worldwide nuclear meltdown. But yeah, don't talk about it so don't worry, look over here and we'll tax the weather our way out of it instead, somebody has to pay the politicians pensions before some asteroid does actually blast into here.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

Whoah whoah whoah. Charles has been observing the climate for 40 years which is effectively the gold standard for climate change monitoring and he reckons it's all rubbish. Who are YOU to challenge that view?

I'm a fifth generation farmer I know a lot about the land and the weather

• Advertisement

I'm a fifth generation farmer I know a lot about the land and the weather

Jesus man, why didn't you tell me you were so qualified at the start of the thread and I wouldn't have made fun of you.

Advertisement