Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Debenhams gone bust

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

L1011 wrote: »
    Except its not Dundrum looking rid of HoF, its HoF looking rid of a loss making shop. They're gone.

No, it was the centre looking to get rid of HOF. HOF/Sports Direct were trying to renegotiate the rents and it didn't go down well. The Centre were also very unhappy with HOF in terms of health and safety, hygiene, HOF moving from premium shopping to discount shopping and Sports Direct moving Sports gear into the shop (Lifestyle, JD etc were very unhappy).

I should note that I used to work there.

Apparently HOF Dundrum was profitable but I don't believe it. Anything that went though the tills belonged to the Concessions.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,600 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

No, it was the centre looking to get rid of HOF. HOF/Sports Direct were trying to renegotiate the rents and it didn't go down well. The Centre were also very unhappy with HOF in terms of health and safety, hygiene, HOF moving from premium shopping to discount shopping and Sports Direct moving Sports gear into the shop (Lifestyle, JD etc were very unhappy).

I should note that I used to work there.

Apparently HOF Dundrum was profitable but I don't believe it. Anything that went though the tills belonged to the Concessions.

Even if this is correct, it does not vaguely suggest HoF will stay there. They're gone.

Xertz wrote: »
    They're a major anchor store in Mahon Point in Cork too, pretty large store.

Malls/shopping centres all over the world are dying - I’d say a number of other businesses in that centre will now fold as there just won’t be the footfall to sustain them -sad times.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,390 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Debenhams was a goner long before this virus. Lot of stuff was overpriced. You could buy the same looking item in many of their different brands for different prices. Their stupid constant blue cross sales where everything was the same price as the week before.
    Interestingly, they did a massive sale on Patricks weekend online, 30% off even sale stuff
    Their clothes were gone expensive and bland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭Icsics

I’ll miss the constant sale on beauty, always got good deals & ‘free gifts’!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Their blue cross 70% sales never had 70% off but I will still miss Debenhams, big loss to Cork, city centre has many vacant buildings, less foot fall traffic and Mahon Point shopping centre biggest unit was Debenhams

You must have missed the words "Up to". I think they assumed all shoppers would bring their magnifying glass with them.

It was never a store I went into, either here or when I lived in the UK. Always came across as boring.

Advertisement