Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

4k Fire TV stick - PLEASE READ OP BEFORE ASKING QUESTIONS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

It's 29.99 right now

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭fast_eddie

I stand corrected - I just checked both versions of Prime Video are now working fine for me.

It must have needed the UK setting to be enabled by Amazon Support staff before the pre-loaded Prime Video app worked.

Even simpler so...
    Doodah7 wrote: »
    You what? Worked for me without any faff!!

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭J@yK@y

fast_eddie wrote: »
    I stand corrected - I just checked both versions of Prime Video are now working fine for me.
    Do you also have a PRIME subscription? And not just Prime video from Eir or elsewhere?

Prime video UK content on 4k firestick was working fine for me at Christmas - at that time I had Eir free Prime video AND Amazon Prime. After getting on chat I had the UK content enabled.

Last week tried again and all content was giving 5505 error. Go back onto chat and told them I normally work in UK but they said they couldn't help as I didnt have PRIME subscription (even if I have Prime video from Eir). I was told Prime video on a firestick will not work without PRIME subscription - seems odd? I said that I can get Prime video on my Apple device and Google phone but cant get it on an Amazon Firestick - she confirmed that is true.

Yesterday signed up for 7 days Prime for 99c - tried firestick still 5505 errors - got onto chat with support and within minutes I had UK content back on firestick.

I am not sure what the right combination is but for me it seems to only work when I have Amazon Prime subscription and the Eir Prime video has no impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

I'm totally confused about prime video.

At Christmas o changed my prime account to the UK in order to watch the football. Amazon help centre got it sorted at Christmas.

It stopped working a couple of months ago on the firesticks but it still works on my Android phone and on apple iPad. It not on firesticks

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭J@yK@y

IrishHomer wrote: »
    I'm totally confused about prime video.

At Christmas o changed my prime account to the UK in order to watch the football. Amazon help centre got it sorted at Christmas.

It stopped working a couple of months ago on the firesticks but it still works on my Android phone and on apple iPad. It not on firesticks

This is similar to my experience.. Can I ask if you also had Amazon PRIME subscription after Christmas when everything worked? I had it for 3 months only for xmas shopping, didnt really think it was connected to my Prime Video working at the time.

That is the only difference for me and that is what the support person on chat told me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

J@yK@y wrote: »
    This is similar to my experience.. Can I ask if you also had Amazon PRIME subscription after Christmas when everything worked? I had it for 3 months only for xmas shopping, didnt really think it was connected to my Prime Video working at the time.

That is the only difference for me and that is what the support person on chat told me.

I have a 12 months normal Prime subscription

Yes, I have a Prime subscription, nothing to do with Eir.

My understanding is that it's down to content rights, hence Amazon say that the Fire Stick will not work in Ireland.

I initially got the 5505 errors, and installed (using Apps2Fire) the android version of Prime Video app. Then I got the UK enabled via web chat with Amazon support staff - I have an NI address on my Amazon account.

I do not use VPN or DNS Proxy, I just turn on the TV and the Fire Stick comes on, start Prime Video and I'm in. And as I've learned yesterday, both versions of Prime Video work fine.

I suspect that if you have the Prime Video courtesy of Eir, then you'll be flagged as non-UK by default...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,858 ✭✭✭Soarer

IrishHomer wrote: »
    I have a 12 months normal Prime subscription

Did you change any of your defaults?
    Delivery address or payment details?

AFAIK, you can go to amazon.co.uk/mycd, into Preferences, and change your location and stuff yourself.

You can indeed, but for me this was not sufficient to get Prime Video working, I still had to get on to Amazon Support who did at the first request by webchat.
    Soarer wrote: »
    Did you change any of your defaults?
    Delivery address or payment details?

AFAIK, you can go to amazon.co.uk/mycd, into Preferences, and change your location and stuff yourself.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

There is a setting in the background that only Amazon can change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,449 ✭✭✭blastman

Have Amazon sold all their Fire sticks? Nothing coming up on the site at all at the moment. :D

EDIT **Never mind, found them, but the offer is over, back to full price again.** EDIT

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭billbond4

I helped a friend get over that 5505 error by using a revolut card details and a uk address

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

I have 3 firesticks now. UK Prime video works on them all straight out of the box. No messing around at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭jgbyr

JimmyVik wrote: »
    I have 3 firesticks now. UK Prime video works on them all straight out of the box. No messing around at all.

Do you have a UK amazon account?

jgbyr wrote: »
    Do you have a UK amazon account?

I called amazon and got switched over to uk well over a year ago. ~Havent had to do anything since. I get the uk amazon prime. And each time I get a new firestick it is the UK prime without having to set anything up.

Some people are reporting that theirs switches back to irish by itself though. Hasnt happened to me yet

I called amazon and got switched over to uk well over a year ago. ~Havent had to do anything since. I get the uk amazon prime. And each time I get a new firestick it is the UK prime without having to set anything up.

Some people are reporting that theirs switches back to irish by itself though. Hasnt happened to me yet

Thanks for the reply. I got one a while back & it seems to be international. UK doesn't work. My account is Irish but any app I've downloaded is listed in an email in dollars. On set up if gave a free prime video trial which was set to U.S. Amazon store.
    The stick came from the UK.

Thanks for the reply. I got one a while back & it seems to be international. UK doesn't work. My account is Irish but any app I've downloaded is listed in an email in dollars. On set up if gave a free prime video trial which was set to U.S. Amazon store.
    The stick came from the UK.

Try setting up an amazon.co.uk
    All irish visits to the amazon.ie page go to that uk site anyway.

And use that account to login to prime. Youll probably get a free month doing that too.

And if that doesnt give you uk prime movies then ask amazon to give it to you. Should be easy enough.

Try setting up an amazon.co.uk
    All irish visits to the amazon.ie page go to that uk site anyway.

Thanks for the info. The thing is my account is set up through amazon.co.uk.
    Will look into requesting them to switch it over though.
    Thanks again

Thanks for the info. The thing is my account is set up through amazon.co.uk.
    Will look into requesting them to switch it over though.
    Thanks again

I think you should be ok.
    Probaly just a mix up that they can easily sort out.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭mccard

Prime Video is poor though. What does the UK version give you that's not on the Irish version (apart from the football) ?

• Advertisement

mccard wrote: »
    Prime Video is poor though. What does the UK version give you that's not on the Irish version (apart from the football) ?

Not much to be fair. ITs still the poor cousin of NEtflix. But the firestick is the business. ITs what else you can put on it and the interface.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,392 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Not much to be fair. ITs still the poor cousin of NEtflix. But the firestick is the business. ITs what else you can put on it and the interface.

I concur. I have only ever watched a handful of things and usually its crap e.g. baywatch for nostalgia. You get really sick of the non free stuff coming up which you can't seem to stop on the firestick.
    Theres a massive amount of stuff on the stick, even youtube is great with the voice remote.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭mccard

Oh yeah totally agree, the firestick is the business. A great investment for anyone considering. I have it running with ExpressVPN.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭steven087

Get a good iptv service and you have everything you need.. All the channels.. I'm with a service last few years no freezing or anything..

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭micknail

Are usb ports on newer TV's good enough to power the stick, or will I need an adaptor (21 pounds seems excessive for one)?

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭kaerobe

micknail wrote: »
    Are usb ports on newer TV's good enough to power the stick, or will I need an adaptor (21 pounds seems excessive for one)?

My cheap projector and old smart tv power it. Use a spare USB charger you have hanging around

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

It comes with a power lead and plug?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,078 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

What are the best apps to put on this.

Also anyone have the address so I can side load RTE player .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Works perfectly fine on my TV. Got a warning on the screen not to use it but just clicked the ok button and worked perfect just like I used to when I plugged it into the socket.

They come with a plug anyway, why would you need to buy one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭dinneenp

What are the best apps to put on this.

Also anyone have the address so I can side load RTE player .

I'm also interested in knowing how to load/install the RTÉ player please.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement