Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

weed vs alcohol

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Ultrflat

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    I cannot smoke cannabis anymore because it turns me into a paranoid mess. I much prefer drinking now. When I was a teenager and in my early twenties I did not get as much paranoia, it creeps up on you. Some of the grass being smoked these days is far too strong.

I have friends who don't suffer any negative side effects, they are middle aged and get a great benefit out of it. It might be worth adding that they tend to not drink that much either, I think mindset is paramount on your enjoyment of either.

I think the problem is people smoke to get stoned and not to get high. There is a massive difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,327 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

It's a cop out. It's an excuse for other problems, and justifying dependencies.

I have never known a person actually addicted to weed. I've known hundreds of stoners throughout the last three decades of being a smoker myself, and none of them were addicted. They smoked regularly, and used their weed as a prop for various activities like music or art, but they're weren't addicted.

I really wish people would stop pushing the addictive aspect of weed. There is none. There is a desire to smoke, and missing it when it's not available, but that's not addiction... Making addiction into covering far more than it should is not helping anyone.

Anyone having issues with getting out of bed is more likely to have other issues such as depression or other underlying concerns. Weed just exaggerates pre-existing conditions, and honestly, some people just shouldn't be smoking weed at all. Especially in the quantities that I find such people tend to do.

There is nothing worse to weed than Alcohol, or many other drug substances, and a lot better. It's not what you seem to think it is.

Back in my smoking days I would have known and hung around with some people who I would have considered to be basically addicted to weed. I suppose we can debate all day about what constitutes actual addiction - until some brain biochemist comes along to set us straight - but they certainly displayed enough hallmarks of the condition for the difference, in real terms, to be largely academic.

They smoked constantly and pretty much felt like they couldn't do anything unless there was an opportunity to smoke or be stoned while they were doing it. Clearly they were psychologically dependent on it, there used to be panic or even anger if the prospect of no smoke for a day was becoming realer.

They spent more money than they had on smoke. Staying in and getting stoned was viewed as a way to live as opposed to being out there in the world and doing new things. Their entire circle of friends was based around the buying,selling and smoking of weed. In some cases they gave up work and/or college to just sit around all day playing games and getting whacked - easy repetitive routine was better than new or challenging things: textbook addictive behaviour. Along with the normalisation of bizarre behaviour - like doing a massive bong hit and then getting behind the wheel of a car to drive They weren't out robbing people or living on the street, but it was easy to see how smoking weed could have a negative diminishing effect on some people's lives.

I was part of that too. I didn't achieve what I could have achieved for a number of years because I had weed to smoke and keep me happy and make me kinda alright with doing nothing. There were a lot of days when the thing of most importance to me was that smoke, more important than prior plans, future plans, friends - you name it. And I knew, deep down, that it was no good for me. I was neverendingly anxious and tired and had constant stomach issues.

That's what addiction means to me: when you are compelled to keep doing something and keep it above other things, even though you know it's doing you harm.

I was eventually able to stop. Circumstances had changed in my life and I felt I didn't want to be that stoner anymore. But I was lucky too. I still know of a few smoke-buddies from back in the day that are still living that way and when I occasionally bump into them on the street I feel bad for them, to be still living that lifestyle of bumming around on the dole and smoking their brains out every evening - which is one thing if you're twenty one, but another thing entirely if you're 35 plus.

Now before I can be accused of being melodramatic, I know that's not the experience of most people who smoke. 80-90% of the people who I know to get stoned do it in a fairly ordinary, even responsible, way. Some people smoke it and then just give it up. Some people who I would have classified as absolute weed fiends back in the day, just eventually grew out of that stoner lifestyle. And some people who I know still smoke prodigious amounts and do loads of things and have great lives.

I agree with you, to an extent, that people who have a problematic time with weed have possibly an inbuilt tendency to be susceptible to the more negative aspects of the drug. I know certainly, in my own case, that I how I reacted to it was a result of my mental makeup and I can't say that because weed was bad for me that it is therefore bad for everyone else. But you can also make that argument for alcohol, cocaine or any type of other addictive drug - some people are more prone to problematic relationships with substances than others.

To say "weed just exaggerates pre-existing conditions" as if this somehow isn't exactly what other drugs already do isn't really a full picture of the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

It
    Ultrflat wrote: »
    I think the problem is people smoke to get stoned and not to get high. There is a massive difference.

I agree people dont seem to be able to enjoy drugs even weed, when I was smoking it I can't recall ever fighting among friends ( ok I was stoned) now you see some people after a few joints and they think there some one. Unless the structure of the drugs has changed over the years.

Kylta wrote: »
    I agree people dont seem to be able to enjoy drugs even weed, when I was smoking it I can recall ever fighting among friends ( ok I was stoned) now you see some people after a few joints and they think there some one. Unless the structure of the drugs has changed over the years.

Despite all my reservations about weed I can't say that tallies with my experience of the drug. I would have never have found weed to make people more aggressive or angry. Quite the opposite in fact. Aggression often felt impossible. I never saw anyone with enough energy still in them to be genuinely angry. Certainly confusion could lead to disagreements, but usually everything was put down to being stoned and kind of forgotten about.

Alcohol is a whole different story.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Professor Jim Lucey was on the Pat Kenny radio show last year, and spoke about the devastating impact that weed is having on a lot of the people who turn up at St. Patrick's Hospital looking for treatment. Jim isn't some nobody; he was the director of St Patrick's hospital for 25 years; the professor of psychiatry at Trinity, and widely regarded as the foremost psychiatrist in the country.

He said the weed being sold in Ireland these days is grown in those grow houses under lights, and is an order of magnitude stronger than the hash or weed that was available in Ireland for many years. He said the image of it being a benign drug associated with hippies, students, and chilling out on the couch is one that needs to be tackled. Modern cannabis is a dangerous and dirty drug that is causing huge spikes in young men (at least who they saw presenting for treatment) having life-changing psychosis. It's turning them into little more than vegetables.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Professor Jim Lucey was on the Pat Kenny radio show last year, and spoke about the devastating impact that weed is having on a lot of the people who turn up at St. Patrick's Hospital looking for treatment. Jim isn't some nobody; he was the director of St Patrick's hospital for 25 years; the professor of psychiatry at Trinity, and widely regarded as the foremost psychiatrist in the country.

He said the weed being sold in Ireland these days is grown in those grow houses under lights, and is an order of magnitude stronger than the hash or weed that was available in Ireland for many years. He said the image of it being a benign drug associated with hippies, students, and chilling out on the couch is one that needs to be tackled. Modern cannabis is a dangerous and dirty drug that is causing huge spikes in young men (at least who they saw presenting for treatment) having life-changing psychosis. It's turning them into little more than vegetables.
    Yeah cannabis in the late 90s was a fun and sociable experience for most people. Now it just nukes people. Its use is the number one reason for readmittance to psych wards.

That is why I would be in favour of its legalisation. It would offer some measure of control and regulation over what is supplied. And it would facilitate frank discussion and education about its effects. It is something that absolutely doesn't suit a lot of people who insist on continuing to use it.

Personally don't currently consume either alcohol or cannabis, though I was drinking beer until recently enough. I think the net effect on my mood is negative with both of them.

Arghus wrote: »
    Despite all my reservations about weed I can't say that tallies with my experience of the drug. I would have never have found weed to make people more aggressive or angry. Quite the opposite in fact. Aggression often felt impossible. I never saw anyone with enough energy still in them to be genuinely angry. Certainly confusion could lead to disagreements, but usually everything was put down to being stoned and kind of forgotten about.

I sorry but I should have read my post before I posted it im meant can't recall instead of can. In my day when I smoked we were more pacified. And I agree with your above post. Sorry again over spelling error

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Huntergonzo

Alcohol is a far better drug than weed.

If you want to smoke weed then fire away, but it's very over-rated.

I think there both overrated, but to each their own. But whatever their posion is, has long as they enjoy it and dont put anybody in harms way. its happy days

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

But you'll look cool to your mates ( those ones who dont think youre a gob****e)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

I heard that chat, there's very little young people coming in with heroin it's all weed. I used to smoke a good bit when I was younger and I'm telling ya now, weed is way stronger than hash. 2 of my friends smoke hash but it's really hard to get as everyone's selling weed. I can take the odd blow of hash and I'd be grand but if I smoked a bit of weed , my head would be wrecked for the night , thinking mad stuff.

All them young lads now that start smoking weed at 14 or 15 their heads are gonna be fried Ina few years .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭chrissb8

A lot of people echoing similar sentiments in this thread who are/were smokers. Weed is brilliant but such an insidious drug due to the perceived "harmless" nature of it. And it is relatively harmless, in moderation, although there are those who are productive on it I found any long term smokers in my life were always "stuck".

That is they hid away behind weed, smoking was the only lifestyle and the anxiety of not having it showed. The prospect of filling your time with something productive or beneficial to your life was something that seemed daunting and scary. For me it stemmed from by and large not being happy with my life and hiding away in smoking away. I still smoke but have learned to take long breaks, I can't deny I love weed but I would much rather now have it as a reward in downtime after I've achieved something.

chrissb8 wrote: »
    A lot of people echoing similar sentiments in this thread who are/were smokers. Weed is brilliant but such an insidious drug due to the perceived "harmless" nature of it. And it is relatively harmless, in moderation, although there are those who are productive on it I found any long term smokers in my life were always "stuck".

That is they hid away behind weed, smoking was the only lifestyle and the anxiety of not having it showed. The prospect of filling your time with something productive or beneficial to your life was something that seemed daunting and scary. For me it stemmed from by and large not being happy with my life and hiding away in smoking away. I still smoke but have learned to take long breaks, I can't deny I love weed but I would much rather now have it as a reward in downtime after I've achieved something.

I've known many people who were able to smoke regularly while holding down professional positions or running their own companies.

The real problem for stoners is when they have nothing to do. University students don't count because even without weed, they're just as likely to waste time. For those who are unemployed, then weed isn't particularly healthy because it doesn't encourage them to do anything to change their situation, but then, neither does anything they might do/take/drink. However, for those with a job or other responsibilities that require them to do something, weed doesn't prevent them from pursuing those responsibilities. If they're not pursuing those responsibilities, then it's likely something closer to procrastination, or depression that's causing issues... Weed is just a convenient excuse.

There's too much BS about associations here. The people who waste time on weed are people who would be wasting time anyway. They just happen to be on weed. I've lived both sides of that coin.. weed wasn't the problem. Lack of personal motivation and direction which could be absent regardless of whether weed was involved... was.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,802 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Here's something I want to tackle. Why do you have to be 'active' and 'doing things' to be successful, or not waste your life? Is someone who decides to not have kids wasting their lives? Is someone who can keep a regular job but isn't very social wasting their lives? Is a gamer wasting their life? What about people who read fiction books?

I strongly dislike that attitude that you need to be doing something or achieving something, otherwise you're wasting your life. I tried life. I had the good job, the mortgage and house, the opportunity to have kids, etc. Took a while, but I wasn't happy in that, always trying to show how good I am, or look at me and how well i'm doing. It's BS. I completely changed all that and I am way happier. Yes, I'm a 36 year old living with my parents, that's due to the mortgage becoming unaffordable and now having a debt following me for the next 10 years (it also works out great for both me and my parents, I'm there to help when they need it, all my siblings have their own families).

I used to be very social, and a drinker, but I realized that it was all false too. It was the perception that I need to be social, that I needed to be out with others, 'enjoying' myself. And I was enjoying some of it. But now, 10/15 years on I know that most of it was false. I wasn't happy. I was also being taken advantage of, but didn't cop it until well after the fact.

So I gave up the good job I really wasn't happy in, I sold the house rather than keep going further into debt and took the negative equity. I'm back living with my parents, but that's not so unusual for people in their 30's anymore, again due to financial reasons mostly. I always have been, and still am, an avid gamer. Sport has no interest due to never being picked as a kid (and most of it is boring anyway, especially soccer). I don't drink anymore because I would be depressed for 4 days after it. My friend circle is gone from 100+ to less than 20, and I'm much happier for it. I keep to myself and don't interfere with anyone else if possible.

I can't afford to go back to college, and i'm done with failure so I don't really try anymore (a life of failure will make you fear it). I'm giving up on some things, but overall I'm the happiest I've been in 20 years. And just because I smoke weed, people will say I'm a stoner wasting my life. No, I'm a stoner enjoying my life, just because it doesn't measure up to your high standards of living, doesn't mean it's not living.

Fair enough bro. Whatever makes you happy I guess. If it works for you, it works for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

I enjoy a drink every now and then. I absolutely hate the smell of smoking, even if it's weed.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,802 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Arghus wrote: »
    Fair enough bro. Whatever makes you happy I guess. If it works for you, it works for you.

Cool. Just kinda pointing out that not everyone who smokes is wasting their lives, even if it seems to others they are. Everyone has different goals or objectives in their life, and it's wrong to immediately label stoners as wasting their lives. It's right in some cases, of course, but not all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭chrissb8

I've known many people who were able to smoke regularly while holding down professional positions or running their own companies.

The real problem for stoners is when they have nothing to do. University students don't count because even without weed, they're just as likely to waste time. For those who are unemployed, then weed isn't particularly healthy because it doesn't encourage them to do anything to change their situation, but then, neither does anything they might do/take/drink. However, for those with a job or other responsibilities that require them to do something, weed doesn't prevent them from pursuing those responsibilities. If they're not pursuing those responsibilities, then it's likely something closer to procrastination, or depression that's causing issues... Weed is just a convenient excuse.

There's too much BS about associations here. The people who waste time on weed are people who would be wasting time anyway. They just happen to be on weed. I've lived both sides of that coin.. weed wasn't the problem. Lack of personal motivation and direction which could be absent regardless of whether weed was involved... was.

Fair enough, I know where you're coming from. But in my life with the people I know who were smokers have said that by and large smoking was a crutch that stifled them into a trap of sedated bliss. When they stopped, they started filling their lives with meaningful things such as hobbies, relationships etc.

They weren't crippled with existential dread or anything, they just loved smoking and getting high. Once they realised it was sapping too much time/money they stopped. The people I know who smoked all have/had good jobs, degrees and the rest while smoking too but smoking was an absolute must in their life and they committed to it hard. That commitment to weed made them neglect aspects of their lives because the feeling of getting stoned/high was a top priority. They came out of smoking and they improved in existing areas of their lives.

Just like some people bury their problems in drink they can bury them in other things that make them feel good too. It's almost like some people want to say weed has no negative effects whatsoever and their lives are symptomatic of the person they are. Which is nonsense to me as it is a drug that must be respected and used within the right context, for me at least. If someone wants to go around stoned and can live their lives fairplay to them.

I smoked for years, loved it, still do and will probably do it again at a suitable time. I got a degree, got a career, got into a long term relationship while smoking and have a good social life. Since I've stopped smoking so much (and nearly every day I smoked) I feel more engaged and more appreciative to just "be" as it were. Enjoying living my life. With weed it always felt like I couldn't enjoy my life without it because being high/stoned felt great and was something I had to have.

I understand what you're saying but to say weed is not the problem but motivation or depression is the root, is just a fallacy. I've seen both sides of the coin too, but mostly one more than the other.

But this is all tit for tat arguments anyway, each person is different and you, like me, are just relaying our experiences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

I've seen a few threads discussing cannabis use on boards. This is the first one where people expressing concerns about it weren't being shouted down. Always saw militant stoners insisting it was a wonderful and benign substance.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

Have you tried benzos with weed? I know a friend who had panic attacks when smoking and tried Xanax. It worked but also potentiated the high

Thanks doc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,009 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I've seen a few threads discussing cannabis use on boards. This is the first one where people expressing concerns about it weren't being shouted down. Always saw militant stoners insisting it was a wonderful and benign substance.

Well, that last one is up to the individual. Personally, I feel the same way abotut a cup of tea, and see anti-drug advocates in the same way I'd feel about someone who tried to get tea banned. (And I rarely do cannabis).

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Here's something I want to tackle. Why do you have to be 'active' and 'doing things' to be successful, or not waste your life? Is someone who decides to not have kids wasting their lives? Is someone who can keep a regular job but isn't very social wasting their lives? Is a gamer wasting their life? What about people who read fiction books?

Go by your own metric on value.

I did crap in University barely scraping a pass. Did kinda okay in work, but sucked at dating. Too shy. Too self-involved. Then I decided to change my life around 30. Left Ireland, took my career seriously for a change, did extremely well, got my MBA, and then I quit. I burned out working the ambitions. The idea of the great house, nice car, providing the lifestyle for success, etc. Then moved to Asia, became a ESL teacher. First Kindergarten, then primary/secondary, now university. I lecture business management, and I get to travel throughout Asia as a contracted lecturer. I've also published two books, and I'm in the middle of writing my first adventure into fiction.

I've done all of this while smoking occasionally. I have a severe shaking disorder that deteriorates as I get older, and weed or similar is the only thing that alleviates some of the shaking. Some. Not all. Not even close, but it helps.

I spent a long time worrying about how my life stood up compared to others. I've never married, don't have kids, and I'm not financially secure (yet). But.. I don't care anymore. Do what you like because nobody's life is perfect. Not even close.

As for wasting time... if you're unhappy where you are, and you're doing nothing to change it, then, you're wasting time. If you're happy where you are, then, it's all grand.

chrissb8 wrote: »
    Fair enough, I know where you're coming from. But in my life with the people I know who were smokers have said that by and large smoking was a crutch that stifled them into a trap of sedated bliss. When they stopped, they started filling their lives with meaningful things such as hobbies, relationships etc.

Meaningful? Depends on the person I guess. You can spend your whole life chasing other peoples dreams, or estimations of value, or you can do what you want.

Stopping weed removed their crutch. Fair enough.
    They weren't crippled with existential dread or anything, they just loved smoking and getting high. Once they realised it was sapping too much time/money they stopped. The people I know who smoked all have/had good jobs, degrees and the rest while smoking too but smoking was an absolute must in their life and they committed to it hard. That commitment to weed made them neglect aspects of their lives because the feeling of getting stoned/high was a top priority. They came out of smoking and they improved in existing areas of their lives.

So, they didn't control themselves, and then, they did control themselves. They just decided that they needed to remove weed from the equation before that control could be realised.

Oddly enough, I understand it from a different direction. Living my life in Ireland was a crutch that kept my following the old routine of my previous lifestyle. My friends didn't want me to change. My parents wanted a particular kind of life for me. And I wasn't brave enough to follow my wants, without their approval. So. I left. :D I removed the pressure of familiar people and places... and moved to a place where nobody knew me. There, I reinvented myself.

I know now, that I could have always done that, but I needed to get away, to get that clarity. For your friends, they needed to stop smoking weed.
    Just like some people bury their problems in drink they can bury them in other things that make them feel good too. It's almost like some people want to say weed has no negative effects whatsoever and their lives are symptomatic of the person they are. Which is nonsense to me as it is a drug that must be respected and used within the right context, for me at least. If someone wants to go around stoned and can live their lives fairplay to them.

I know few people "who go around stoned".... but then, I'm in my forties now, and I don't know many young people. The people I do know who smoke, they do so in their homes, on the weekends or in the evening time, but again at their homes. They set boundaries to their smoking... It's for leisure rather than a crutch
    I understand what you're saying but to say weed is not the problem but motivation or depression is the root, is just a fallacy. I've seen both sides of the coin too, but mostly one more than the other.

But this is all tit for tat arguments anyway, each person is different and you, like me, are just relaying our experiences.

No. It's not a fallacy. It's an opinion. Just as yours is an opinion. Both psychology and science are trying to figure out the effects of weed beyond the immediate physical reactions... For every six papers you find to prove your point, I can easily find six that prove mine... because simply put, nobody knows.

because as you say, everyone is different, the effect is different for that person, and how they react to their circumstances depends on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭Mr.Plough

Have gone through phases of smoking a lot of weed, usually depending on its availability and legality. I think it's a great Saturday drug, and can actually make boring tasks like cleaning the house fun. But I would always slowly but surely end up smoking it too often, and then the house wouldn't get cleaned at all.

I'm in a part of the world now where penalties for using it are severe so I haven't smoked in ages, but I do look forward to getting blazed on holiday in the future. Going back to a routine of smoking more than once a week doesn't appeal to me at all, moderation and all that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 133 ✭✭ijohhj

biko wrote: »
    Yes, I think alcohol should be legal

The more harmful substance with the legions more bodies attributed to it?

That's interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Nothing wrong with a few beers and a vape. The key is getting the balance right. The right balance for me gives me the uninhibited buzz of alcohol with the sense of wonder/inquisitiveness and an ability to get absorbed in something like a computer game or music from weed. Can see how that might not work for someone with an anxious disposition. Too much beer and i struggle to walk. Too much green and I struggle to walk. More likely to fall over due to the former though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Are we allowed to put up pics of our "trophy jars" ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

(And I rarely do cannabis).

Personally, I like my cannabis well done, like burnt to a crisp.

Advertisement