Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Attracting birds to back garden

Options
  • 09-04-2020 11:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭

Hi
    Live in a semi rural location... small housing estate with plenty of open country side around.
    Currently trying to get birds to visit back garden without much luck. Have given the kids a bird chart to see how many they can check off during the lockdown .. I have got a bird table and a ground feeder but have no luck. Any tips on how to entice the birds to feed.
    One problem I see is the neighbors both sides for have cats who like nothing better than spending the morning doing a bit of stalking.

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,138 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Wouldn't worry too much about cats, our place is full of them and it's never discouraged the birds (or the resident hedgehog!).

I think all you can do is have a good variety of feeds such as peanut/nyjer/mixed seeds and maybe suet too. Nyjer made a big difference to variety in our garden as we went from having no gold finches to loads once we got some. Sliced up fruit on the ground is good for blackbirds I think too.

You can also try having the feeders near a bit of shelter like a tree or hedge so it doesn't seem too exposed. If you've only got a table and ground feeding going on then some hanging feeders might do the trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,704 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

I have found they go mad for suet balls. Mealworms also seem popular. Keep putting food out, they should find it eventually.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,315 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

suet balls are really a winter feed, though IIRC.
    do you have any cover in the garden for them to shelter in? not too near the bird feeder though, you don't want to provide the cover for the cats too.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,419 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I've always understood that you shouldn't be feeding fatty foods like suet balls in the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Have a similar issue to the OP - in a fully urban environment.
    Get a good few birds to the feeder but not that many, should I leave it there for the summer also and what are the best summer foods for them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Alun wrote: »
    I've always understood that you shouldn't be feeding fatty foods like suet balls in the summer.

I grew up when it was the norm only to feed the birds during the winter months. Is all-year-round feeding part of the popularising/dumbing down of ornithology to birding and the Irish Wildbird Conservancy to Birdwatch Ireland - or am I just a dinosaur - probably the latter. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,228 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

I feed them suet balls all year round. Starlings go mad for them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Del.Monte wrote: »
    I grew up when it was the norm only to feed the birds during the winter months. Is all-year-round feeding part of the popularising/dumbing down of ornithology to birding and the Irish Wildbird Conservancy to Birdwatch Ireland - or am I just a dinosaur - probably the latter. :D

That is along the lines of what I was thinking. Only feed them when they need it and let them forage otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

For whatever reason i get a fair sprinkling of birds visiting and i dont feed or leave out anything. Occasionally fill a bowl which they do use for a wash or drink. Mostly sparrows, the odd blackbird, pigeon, collared dove and quite a few finches.

At the moment have a robin darting in and out of the wall ivy bout 3 feet from side kitchen door, carrying nest materials, or so i assume anyway. Same last year, though dont think any nest ever became active there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

Thanks for all your recommendations.. will move things about a bit and see if I can entice a few more in ... they seem happy sitting high up in foliage where the kids can’t see them. They do pick now and again but seem more than happy picking up own grub .

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

Del.Monte wrote: »

The BTO have done a lot of research on the topic over the last 20+ years and there's no problem feeding birds all year round (not fatballs though) as they can struggle for food at any time of year, and wild birds are good at balancing out their diets so they won't rely 100% on your peanuts or sunflower hearts etc. So it's a matter of "don't be disappointed if you don't see them on your feeder much over the summer" but that it can still be helpful to them!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

harr wrote: »
    Thanks for all your recommendations.. will move things about a bit and see if I can entice a few more in ... they seem happy sitting high up in foliage where the kids can’t see them. They do pick now and again but seem more than happy picking up own grub .

It's been said above, but make sure your feeders are near trees/hedges - that's the big mistake a lot of people make - having it in the middle of the lawn away from any cover, where smaller birds are reluctant to fly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I've got a resident population that numbers in the dozens, noisy feckers. if you have something they like to congregate on you'll get birds (big spiky shrubs)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,663 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Nuts ( plain ) seem to attract various small birds. Them flitting around the garden is a moral booster.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭jmkennedyie

A shallow dish/tray of water for drinking and bathing will help...away from where cats might be hiding.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭lucalux

if you notice places in your garden with snails or slugs, or other critters, keep an eye on that. One thing I do is to leave down coverings, whether it be an upturned pot, or a breeze block, or plank of wood, and then upend it the odd day, birds will flock in trying to pick off worms or woodlice, or snails (especially thrushes!).

A bug hotel is another option, google them for ideas, more bugs equals more birds to feed on them maybe.

Another thing is often a bit more difficult for houseproud people.. the teasels of thistle heads, and dandelion clocks also, can be a really good attraction for goldfinches and other similar birds, so maybe letting a few areas sprout weeds and let them go to seed might be an option?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Coco21

Most finches and tits love sunflower seeds in the shell. I have bullfinches, greenfinches, chaffinches, great tits, blue tits and coal tits in my garden and they can’t get enough of sunflower seeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,499 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

We found the nijer seed with the appropriate feeder was a huge hit with the finches. That, alongside a regular feeder with a sunflower/mixed nut feeder that drops stuff on the ground for the robins and wood pigeons worked well. We clean the feeders out a good bit with the brush part of a dust-pan-hand-brush from IKEA.

All in a large holly tree with lots of cover and climbers. Lately we've an old, tired looking grey squirrel raiding the nut feeder but we don't have the heart to scare him off.

Stick with it and "word" will get out.

Another thing is quality of food actually. Generally you're safe with sunflower seeds (though the ones with no shell are best, followed by the black ones). Peanuts and fatballs are two things that vary hugely in quality. The peanuts can be very dried-out and the fatballs can be rock solid. Worth bearing in mind. You get a cheaper price, but cheaper quality, in the likes of Pound Shops etc!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,628 ✭✭✭corks finest

Not being a Victor Meldrew chaps but if in an urban area, be ultra careful ref feeders,no matter how often you clean,they attract rats/ mice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Not being a Victor Meldrew chaps but if in an urban area, be ultra careful ref feeders,no matter how often you clean,they attract rats/ mice

Plus if they are not kept clean they can also spread disease to birds.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,315 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

we've had bird feeders out the back (in the suburbs) for seven years, nary a sign of a rat. there were/are mice living in our compost bin though.

we've had bird feeders out the back (in the suburbs) for seven years, nary a sign of a rat. there were/are mice living in our compost bin though.

I love watching birds and had up to 25/ 30 goldfinches etc in my back garden in Carrigaline for years but it drew mice first, then rats,guy over the wall isn't the most house proud TBH but it was only a matter of time before the vermin started entering the houses,I ended up prior to the covid virus buying decent binoculars and go up Roberts head( Roberts cove cliffs) watching kestrels and falcons , hawks etc a few times a week

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Goldfinches are just wonderful to look at. I dont get any in my place for whatever reason, but my folks get them every day at the feeders where they're particularly aggressive in ensuring their share. I forget which seeds it is they lust after, could be the black ones mentioned above.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,419 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Goldfinches are just wonderful to look at. I dont get any in my place for whatever reason, but my folks get them every day at the feeders where they're particularly aggressive in ensuring their share. I forget which seeds it is they lust after, could be the black ones mentioned above.
    Goldfinches, or any finches for that matter, love black nijer seed.

I used to get loads of birds in our garden at the feeders, although it took a while for the word to get around as it were. I then stopped feeding for a while for various reasons and when I recently restarted it's back to square one again. The first to come back were the goldfinches though, and of course "my" blue tits who are currently investigating the nestbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭SnowyMuckish

Bird food.ie is great for nest boxes, bird food, bird identification charts etc. we also planted a native hedge mix about 5 or 6 year ago now, it has come alive with thrushes and black birds!

Alun wrote: »
    Goldfinches, or any finches for that matter, love black nijer seed.

I used to get loads of birds in our garden at the feeders, although it took a while for the word to get around as it were. I then stopped feeding for a while for various reasons and when I recently restarted it's back to square one again. The first to come back were the goldfinches though, and of course "my" blue tits who are currently investigating the nestbox.

Nijer seeds

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

Bird food.ie is great for nest boxes, bird food, bird identification charts etc. we also planted a native hedge mix about 5 or 6 year ago now, it has come alive with thrushes and black birds!

Hi, i have about a third of an acre that im trying to turn into a bird (sanctuary)? to try and attract birds and other creatures, what native hedges have you planted, ive planted a mix of any type of hedges and bushes i come across in my line of work that i get free to take away but im just getting started really and id like to plant something that birds will really take to

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

We did the same about 7 years ago on a acre site with the future forests native hedge mix, we have 2 blackbird nests with eggs being looked after and one thrush nest. Also have robins somewhere but not located the nest yet. The native hedge mix also has also hedgehogs living in that are fun to watch on our ring cameras and pheasants love too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭SnowyMuckish

Hi, i have about a third of an acre that im trying to turn into a bird (sanctuary)? to try and attract birds and other creatures, what native hedges have you planted, ive planted a mix of any type of hedges and bushes i come across in my line of work that i get free to take away but im just getting started really and id like to plant something that birds will really take to

I can’t remember exactly all the species we planted but it included some berry rich varieties. Hawthorn, spindle, buckthorn, wild rose, hazel, beech, holly, cottoneaster. Some of these are native, some not, some have berries some not but all play a role. My advice would be as great as the wild rose is, birds absolutely love the hips, go easy on it, I read somewhere only 10% should be wild rose and I disregarded this and wanted to make it the ‘feature’ plant. I live to regret it! It takes over and smothers the rest and is very unruly. But I definitely wouldn’t leave it out. We planted about half an acre of hedging. If you can get your hands on it for free that’s brilliant! Otherwise it can be very expensive. The best time of year to do it is bare root season, which is far cheaper but you might have missed the boat this year. Spend the time planning what you want now so you can be ready to go come winter/spring.

Advertisement