Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Holiday home owners in Connemara (and elsewhere)

• 06-04-2020 5:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭

On the Connemara Notices Facebook page, a post attributed to a local doctor states the following:

https://m.facebook.com/groups/332413683476478?view=permalink&id=3143694139015071

Here is the text from the Post. Lovely people altogether. Plus, hardly language and sentiment becoming of a Doctor given the current crisis.

From a local Dr in Connemara

To all the holiday homes owners who came down to Connemara during these hard times: we will remember you. You have increased the pressure on the food supply, the medical teams already overstretched, the staff in the shops and petrol stations. You have contributed to spread the pandemic to a rural area disregarding the rules. We know who you are and you will be named and blamed. We will not forget. You are the rich and privileged who think they can do as they please. As a doctor and member of this community I know how to recognize a psychopathic behavior : you have no empathy, no courage, no respect for the people of Connemara, and our environment that you treat like a playground.
    You have invaded the beaches and roads with your big SUV’s disregarding the recommendations.
    I don’t think you can feel shame but I feel you will not be made welcome anymore and watch out for the future .
    Dr Sophie Faherty

Sweet Jesus.

Comments

The doctor is dead right.
    Why would they be down there when we are supposed to stay at home?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

To be honest I absolutely see where they're coming from. Makes total sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

She's not wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

Covid19 wrote: »
    On the Connemara Notices Facebook page, a post attributed to a local doctor states the following:

https://m.facebook.com/groups/340895652615207?view=permalink&id=2977656432272436

Here is the text from the Post. Lovely people altogether. Plus, hardly language and sentiment becoming of a Doctor given the current crisis.

To all the holiday homes owners who came down to Connemara during these hard times: we will remember you. You have increased the pressure on the food supply, the medical teams already overstretched, the staff in the shops and petrol stations. You have contributed to spread the pandemic to a rural area disregarding the rules. We know who you are and you will be named and blamed. We will not forget. You are the rich and privileged who think they can do as they please. As a doctor and member of this community I know how to recognize a psychopathic behavior : you have no empathy, no courage, no respect for the people of Connemara, and our environment that you treat like a playground.
    You have invaded the beaches and roads with your big SUV’s disregarding the recommendations.
    I don’t think you can feel shame but I feel you will not be made welcome anymore and watch out for the future .
    Dr Sophie Faherty

Sweet Jesus.

Who is more under pressure and worried than a medical practitioner. Language and sentiment shows anger and worry and that is what she feels

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭fobster

Too bloody right. Stay at home, this is not a holiday, repeat this is not a holiday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,816 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Fair play Sophie.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Whatever about the language she is a 100% right.
    In Italy when the shutdown in Lombardy was announced those that could afford to fecked off down
    South bringing the virus with them area of Italy that is seriously disadvantaged compared to the North.
    The majority of cases of Covid in Ireland are in the East ie Dublin. Pissing off down the country to infect the locals is incredibly selfish and deserves to be called out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Covid19 wrote: »

https://m.facebook.com/groups/340895652615207?view=permalink&id=2977656432272436

Dr Sophie Faherty

Sweet Jesus.

Speaking as a Dub who is sensitive enough to the unfair abuse heaped on us at times from outside the pale...there is a reasonable point there.

Travelling down to the holiday home to sit out the pandemic in nice, rural surroundings (because the city is a bit more uncomfortable to live in right now) is flouting the restrictions. It is potentially spreading the virus/putting more people at risk for completely selfish reasons is it not?

I'd go so far as to say Dubs are not wanted anywhere else either...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,841 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Feck you OP for clickbaiting us!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

bubblypop wrote: »
    The doctor is dead right.
    Why would they be down there when we are supposed to stay at home?

Dead right. Should be applied all year round.

You took the words out of my mouth Kathleen.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

• Registered Users Posts: 81,110 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Where does she mention Dubs?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭Be right back

Can't see anything wrong with what she posted..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,649 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

I think her wording is a bit OTT but I think her message is spot on. I think she could have got the message across in exactly the same way and with the same if not more impact with a better crafting. i.e. her message is getting a little lost because people are getting het up with her wording

Bottom line though. I think she is RIGHT

• Registered Users Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

fly_agaric wrote: »
    Speaking as a Dub who is sensitive enough to the unfair abuse heaped on us at times from outside the pale...there is a reasonable point there.

Travelling down to the holiday home to sit out the pandemic in nice, rural surroundings (because the city is a bit more uncomfortable to live in right now) is flouting the restrictions. It is potentially spreading the virus/putting more people at risk for completely selfish reasons is it not?

It is not flouting the regulations but it is annoying covid or no covid.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

Where does she mention Dubs?

Maybe the OP thinks the only people who can afford Holiday homes and SUVs are Dubs?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12 fuilnaheireann

We'll cut the funding to the muck savages and see how long they survive.

Yeah cos nobody in rural Ireland earns their keep.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

The Dubs fund the entire country?
    How so?

• Advertisement

Try ateing your cheque book while we feast on home grown veg and organically reared meat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

She's probably not wrong though she didn't word it very well. I have no doubt that there will be people from built up areas heading off down to their holiday homes on the west coast this Easter weekend regardless of the COVID-19 restrictions. It needs to be driven home in the next few days that this is not acceptable.

To any of you an here who attempt it, I hope it pisses non stop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Course it is, travelling for non essential matters is verboten.

Anyone who parks up at a holiday home should be clamped.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Could you explain?

My understanding is we are supposed to leave "home" for (roughly - I know there are other exceptions) shopping, food/medicine, essential work that cannot be done from home, exercise within a 2 km radius.

I don't think intention of this was that first people would travel 300 or so km to the rural "home away from home" they are lucky enough to own first before abiding by restrictions!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Well done doctor. Some people seem to think they are entitled to be above the rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Seamai wrote: »
    She's probably not wrong though she didn't word it very well. I have no doubt that there will be people from built up areas heading off down to their holiday homes on the west coast this Easter weekend regardless of the COVID-19 restrictions. It needs to be driven home in the next few days that this is not acceptable.

To any of you an herex who attempt it, I hope it pisses non stop.

What gives you that idea?

The pandemic and Garda checkpoints everywhere will surely put pay to this not happening, and I agree, anyone who thinks it's okay to travel further than they are supposed to is contributing to the problem and spread of the virus...

Always the dubs to blame, very convenient for some, doctors included by the sounds of it... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

Good one

• Registered Users Posts: 16,543 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

"Dubs not wanted" is an idiotic spin to choose to put on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

It's not just Dubliners and Connemara, plenty of Corkonians have places in west Cork and Kerry, Northerners in Donegal.

This should be nipped in the bud before it gets out of control. You might be able to do it the May weekend but forget about Easter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,793 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I love showing hard republicans threads like this.
    How can we unite the 32 counties when we can't even unite the 26.
    Yes, some assholes are fleeing a tough situation but that's why I think the Gardaí should be setting up checkpoints at the toll plazas (obvious slow down spot) and turning cars back who shouldn't be on the motorway.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement