Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

BRIDGE - A general thread devoted to the card game...

• 13-10-2014 1:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭

A the suggestion of one of the moderators, I am starting a general thread to gauge how much interest there is in the game of Bridge on Boards.ie.

I've been playing on and off for about 40 years.

I don't have a regular partner at the moment and now play mostly on computer either against the program Jack (very strong and not expensive) or more typically online at http://www.bridgebase.com/client/client.php

Bridgebase can be intimidating for beginners - many of those on it can be obnoxious. But, it's a brilliant site to dip in and play a few deals when you have a few minutes. And it's free.

To get the ball rolling, here are two bidding questions:

You are playing 12-14 Weak No-Trump.

You hold:

S: K, Q, 9, 3
    H: K, 9
    D: A, 8, 7, 2
    C: K, 9, 7

Total: 15 points.

S: A, Q, 10, 2
    H: K, 3, 2
    D: K, Q, 10, 4
    C: A, J,

Total: 19 points.

You are dealer in both hands.

I presume you open 1 Diamond in each case?

If so, in both hands your partner responds one heart.

What do you rebid?

a. Spades, to show your four card suit?

or

b. 1NT or 2NT (in the second hand), to show distribution and point count?

D.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭BabySlam

just found this thread - is it active;
    my 2 cent:
    a. 1NT
    b. 3NT

• Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭Dinarius

Thanks for the reply.

As you can see, not too much interest in Bridge here! :)

D.

Thanks for replying. I am a novice.
    May I ask a question?

Is it ever a good idea to lead an Ace?

thanks for all advice

BabySlam wrote: »
    Thanks for replying. I am a novice.
    May I ask a question?

Is it ever a good idea to lead an Ace?

thanks for all advice

It is frequently the right thing to do if it is supported by the King.

It can also be the right thing to do against a slam;

1. You might never get it if you don't cash it - declarer might discard that suit using winners in another.

2. It might benefit you to take a look at dummy, before deciding your next play.

But, it isn't always correct.....you'll learn as you go along. :)

D.

My teacher produced a pack of cards this week with Hilary Clinton's photo on them - to play in No-Trump!!!

• Advertisement

BabySlam wrote: »
    My teacher produced a pack of cards this week with Hilary Clinton's photo on them - to play in No-Trump!!!

Excellent! :P

Must look out for those.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Eph1958

Hi, I wasn't playing Bridge when this thread started but can't get enough of it now. Anybody want to try and get a Bridge forum up and running. I am a club member and could encourage others to join in the fun!!!

Eph.

Eph1958 wrote: »
    Hi, I wasn't playing Bridge when this thread started but can't get enough of it now. Anybody want to try and get a Bridge forum up and running. I am a club member and could encourage others to join in the fun!!!

Eph.

Am playing a lot more club bridge since I last posted. Some computer bridge, but very little online.

Playing much more weekend bridge too.

Addictive!

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Eph1958

Hi, I also play a good deal of computer bridge. Blue Chip is my favourite, excellent bidding and practice. It is also relatively easy to network and play with partner against PC. However, it is prone to network failures and frustration. I've also played WBridge on PC. On Android I use WeWeWeb bridge and BrijPro2018. They are handy for waiting rooms and train journeys!!

Eph.

I use Jack for bridge on computer. A very strong program.

Online bridge I play on BridgeBase. Excellent for watching international tournaments too.

D.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,173 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Our bridge clubs here in Nenagh have closed so wondering are there any web based system where you can pick your 3 partners.
    The older members don't want to play against randoms and I want, as VP of one of the clubs, to try keep the sense of community going.
    Thanks as always

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Our bridge clubs here in Nenagh have closed so wondering are there any web based system where you can pick your 3 partners.
    The older members don't want to play against randoms and I want, as VP of one of the clubs, to try keep the sense of community going.
    Thanks as always

Hi Calahonda,

I'm not sure what you mean by "pick your partners", but you can create a free account on https://www.bridgebase.com/ and create a table where you can lock the other three seats and only allow friends (who must have also created free accounts and be logged-in) to sit at those seats. The four of you can then play random deals.

There are Irish bridge clubs that are setting up daily Pairs competitions on BB also.

When you login to BridgeBase, click, Competitive > Free Tournaments and you will see a list of Pending tournaments and a list of Running (already started tournaments).

Tournament director Eamon Galligan runs a pairs competition nightly at 20:00 (Monday to Friday, I think). Pat Egan (of Bankers in Dublin) is running a competition on BB Tuesday and Wednesday at 19:30.

But, you can also start your own Pairs competition on BB and just email your club members with starting times.

Hope this helps.

Any questions, just ask.

D.

Perfect, the exact answer I wanted.
    Thank you!

Just wondering about how paying for robots to play on Bridge base works?
    We had two tables last week and one of the players left so we took a robot, we got a few games and then the system said pay for play with robot.
    I suppose we could have allowed some random in but my group prefers the robot.
    Thanks.
    ps there were 42,000 playing so it creaked a bit

Just wondering about how paying for robots to play on Bridge base works?
    We had two tables last week and one of the players left so we took a robot, we got a few games and then the system said pay for play with robot.
    I suppose we could have allowed some random in but my group prefers the robot.
    Thanks.
    ps there were 42,000 playing so it creaked a bit

Not sure how paying for robots works - never use them.

But, yes, BBO servers are under a lot of pressure at the moment due to huge demand because of the virus.

D.

Thanks,
    I asked them.
    here is the answer
    $20 US$ purchases $20 BB$. The cost of the basic robots is $1 BB$ for 7 days, unlimited number of boards played and as many hours in those 7 days as you can find somebody to bring you coffee and your favorite snack food.
    Not bad to get to play with 3

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

I am an improver so still dodgy with the bidding ! When the bridge club closed I continued to practice on No Fear Bridge and play daily on Bridge Club On-Line . It’s quite a friendly place, I use the social room. Most of the players use ACOL . When I want to set a table with friends we go to BBO ( bridge base online ) I believe that is used quite a bit by sharks and SAYC players ! So I steer clear .. I’m hooked and can’t believe how difficult it is

I am an improver so still dodgy with the bidding ! When the bridge club closed I continued to practice on No Fear Bridge and play daily on Bridge Club On-Line . It’s quite a friendly place, I use the social room. Most of the players use ACOL . When I want to set a table with friends we go to BBO ( bridge base online ) I believe that is used quite a bit by sharks and SAYC players ! So I steer clear .. I’m hooked and can’t believe how difficult it is

BBO is fine to dip in and out of when you have a spare half-hour. But, it’s most enjoyable when you have 4 or 8 players. The 4 of you can play and practice in peace for free and for as long as you like. We usually play 20-24 boards, or two hours, whichever comes first.

With 8, you can set up a two table match. Again, it’s free.

BBO is great and live club bridge may never be the same again. So, BBO will be more popular than ever.

Check out the BBO bridge forums too. There are forums for beginners questions also.

D.

Dinarius wrote: »
    BBO is fine to dip in and out of when you have a spare half-hour. But, it’s most enjoyable when you have 4 or 8 players. The 4 of you can play and practice in peace for free and for as long as you like. We usually play 20-24 boards, or two hours, whichever comes first.

With 8, you can set up a two table match. Again, it’s free.

BBO is great and live club bridge may never be the same again. So, BBO will be more popular than ever.

Check out the BBO bridge forums too. There are forums for beginners questions also.

D.

I add a zoom call per table to create the club atmosphere.
    Works really well.

Advertisement