Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lack of public toilets in Covid-19 era

Options
  • 28-05-2020 4:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know anywhere in town (Dublin) with a toilet that's open these days? I need to bring my son in and I just read that even if BT/Arnotts open via preregistering, toilets will be closed. I was in Insomnia the other day, toilets closed. Surely there must be ones open somewhere?
    Also aren't we meant to be washing our hands?!

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,285 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Problem I can see is they may feel they would need to clean them after every use. Most shops have sanitising gel stations to facilitate hand-cleaning

I have seen them open at motorway, that that may well be a contractual obligation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭The_Brood

Beasty wrote: »
    Problem I can see is they may feel they would need to clean them after every use. Most shops have sanitising gel stations to facilitate hand-cleaning

I have seen them open at motorway, that that may well be a contractual obligation

The alternative is people pissing in their pants or down the street?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Dublin city has not one public toilet.....

How people can go about there without is beyond me but I know what they use as any street I have to walk on is covered in human filth.....

It's shocking but then they would be destroyed either way ..

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Ms.Sunshine

It’s the same in Galway .
    My husband has a disability and got caught when we were out for a walk and had to urinate privately somewhere . An absolute disaster and totally unfair to put people in such situations.

If hygiene is the issue with businesses and the use of their toilets , they are all going to have to hire a cleaner to b outside the bathrooms and clean the toilets after each use . Nobody could object to that

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

RTE have picked up on this form the perspective of people with Bowel disease that cannot wait to use a toilet. Personally speaking if I get a bad attach of my IBD I have about a minute to find a toilet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

If hygiene is the issue with businesses and the use of their toilets , they are all going to have to hire a cleaner to b outside the bathrooms and clean the toilets after each use . Nobody could object to that
    It's not realistic for businesses to have full-time cleaners on staff to clean bathrooms after the general public have used them. Most retail businesses are closed, and the few businesses that are open are barely surviving as it is.

We have a lot of new problems because of Covid, there are many people who are suffering for various reasons until we figure out how we cope.

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭jrmb

There was already a lack of public bathrooms in Dublin city long before Covid :(

• Registered Users Posts: 23,443 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Were we overburdened with public toilets before COVID OP?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

I think I became a germaphobe with all this. People want to use public toilets in all this? If people don't wash their hands properly, couldn't the hand dryers blow aerosols all over the place?

It’s a basic need whatever the risk involved

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭hopeso

I think I became a germaphobe with all this. People want to use public toilets in all this? If people don't wash their hands properly, couldn't the hand dryers blow aerosols all over the place?

Couldn't agree more. I don't think I'd go into a public toilet for anything at the moment.....

I was briefly in the botanic gardens the other day. Toilets were closed off. The Range in Liffey valley have customer toilets that are also closed. Phoenix Park have no public toilets that I am aware of with the cafes closed.

So yeah, it seems toilets are a big crisis.

Pretty important for anyone with bowel issues, pregnant women, parents with babies.

I was briefly in the botanic gardens the other day. Toilets were closed off. The Range in Liffey valley have customer toilets that are also closed. Phoenix Park have no public toilets that I am aware of with the cafes closed.

So yeah, it seems toilets are a big crisis.

Pretty important for anyone with bowel issues, pregnant women, parents with babies.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭mvt

there are public toilets which are self cleaning,they basically are self contained & after each use are sealed & then blasted with hot water.

IIRC they were going to be supplied free of charge in Dublin in exchange for advertising space but DCC shot it down.

Something needs to be done fairly quickly to sort this out as it is a serious public health issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,292 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

maxsmum wrote: »
    Does anyone know anywhere in town (Dublin) with a toilet that's open these days? I need to bring my son in and I just read that even if BT/Arnotts open via preregistering, toilets will be closed. I was in Insomnia the other day, toilets closed. Surely there must be ones open somewhere?
    Also aren't we meant to be washing our hands?!

Connolly Station toilets probably still open. Maybe Busaras as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Good point. Local public toilets near me closed for weeks.
    With the availability of hand sanitiser these days and more hygiene awareness couldn't they be reopened. And anyway, who's going to use the taps- unless they're contactless?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,789 ✭✭✭appledrop

Its same everywhere its ridiculous really. I have a 3 year old + if he needs to go when in park he needs to go!

Cant continue on the way it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,199 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

What's the alternative ?? Everyone to start going in the bushes or in the case of dublin city just piss into the liffey ??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Turn off the driers?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

I think peoples immediate need to relieve oneself far outweighs their fears of getting a virus which has largely been eradicted at this point

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭marilynrr

Beasty wrote: »

I saw a video from a truck driver at the start of lockdown. He was saying that some of the toilets were closed, and that those service stations needed to remember that truck drivers are the supply chain keeping the essential items on the shelves!
    He also said he had used a toilet that hadn't been cleaned in a week, and he said he knew it had been a week because he'd seen the same piece of rubbish on the floor in there the week before!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

What's the alternative ?? Everyone to start going in the bushes or in the case of dublin city just piss into the liffey ??

Stay at home

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Stay at home

if you are only travelling 2k or 5k from your house then it shouldn’t be a problem.What are you taking your son into town for anyway? There is still an incurable plague out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,872 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

So a business has to pay €100+ a day for someone to clean their toilets after people use them, are you willing to pay to use toilets? Because no business can afford to have someone employed full time just to clean the toilets.

Also even if they were open they need to be sanitized after every use so most likely won't be available when the person needs to use it.
    mvt wrote: »
    there are public toilets which are self cleaning,they basically are self contained & after each use are sealed & then blasted with hot water.

IIRC they were going to be supplied free of charge in Dublin in exchange for advertising space but DCC shot it down.

Something needs to be done fairly quickly to sort this out as it is a serious public health issue.

We had them toilets before in Dublin and got rid of them. I know someone who was trapped in one for several hours, not the ones in Dublin.

Peopl with certain medical conditions might need to use a toilet urgently and from next week older people will be out and about more

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭maxsmum

if you are only travelling 2k or 5k from your house then it shouldn’t be a problem.What are you taking your son into town for anyway? There is still an incurable plague out there.

That's b&^*(ks and you know it. A 5 year old can be 500m down the road and need to go. And when I was pregnant I wasn't much different. You used to have 5 or 6 places around Grafton or henry St to use a loo (none of them public facilities mind). Now there's nothing.
    And I live a couple of km from town, none of your business what it's for.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Where do the council actually think people are doing before the pandemic and now....

Many don't even bother going down lanes anymore and will piss anywhere.

Take the many parks and boardwalk etc these people are in many cases drinking and spend hours on end there.....

The streets are filthy and absolutely stink.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 jackboard

I agree fully that this is a council problem but obviously a minority have ruined it for the majority.

Asked the brother who works in a city centre shopping centre and their toilets are closed. He said he gets abuse off at least 5 people a day on why they aren’t open. None of these people have bags from the stores that are open either. Some of those people then direct their anger at shop staff when they refuse access to their staff toilets.

I get some people have medical issues or are pregnant but unfortunately these issues need to be planned for under current circumstances, and as someone else said, they shouldn’t be further than 5km from their house. With the exception of phone shops, anyone who is in the city centre doing shopping absolutely has closer supermarkets/chemists to them than in the smack bang centre.

I need access to hand sanitiser for a medical issue and have been paying through the roof for it but I haven’t complained to anyone about it, it just the way it is at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭whoopsadaisy

Why is "you shouldn't be more than 5km away from your home" being used as an excuse here?

It takes about 45-50 minutes to walk 5km. You can be well within your radius but if you need to go, you need to go!! I think we've all felt the "urgency" of such at some point :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,199 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Stay at home

Again I'll ask the question, if I'm out for my own reasons and need the toilet, your logic is you should have stayed at home. I'm sure you've been out before and needed to use the toilet.

Let's stay at home and live like hermits. If anyone goes out and needs the toilet throw them to the wolves they shouldn't have been out anyway. If you need to go you need to go, 20k, 5k or 2k from home

Advertisement