Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Recommendations?

• 14-05-2020 1:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

I had a read of the '**HOW TO TRACE YOUR IRISH ANCESTORS**' post and working my way through some of the other posts but in the meantime I'm wondering if you could recommend the next step for me. Hit a brick wall for some births/marriages/deaths (1900 - 1960).

I've traweled through the following:

- 1901 and 1911 Census Records
    - Irishgenealogy (though now looking at it today it seems like I've only been searching under the Civil Records tab. Guess I'm missing out on a wealth of information under Church Records?)
    - FindMyPast
    - NLI Registers
    - Libertyellisfoundation (for emigration records)

And what does RootsIreland offer that the above doesn't have? I'm already subscribed to FindMyPast and don't want to waste a subscription if it's not needed.

Anything else I'm missing at this point in terms of sources?

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Familysearch.org

Rootsireland has better search functionality and mostly better transcriptions for parish records - they also go later than 1880 in many parishes. In some cases, they go up to the 1920s.

You have been missing the church records section on Irishgenealogy, though it is limited to certain counties.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Irishnewsarchive for death notices in the mid-20th century would be key for your period.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭crossman47

Just to second familysearch if you think emigration to US is an issue. It has each Census up to 1940.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 TonyI

pinkypinky wrote: »
    Familysearch.org

Rootsireland has better search functionality and mostly better transcriptions for parish records - they also go later than 1880 in many parishes. In some cases, they go up to the 1920s.

You have been missing the church records section on Irishgenealogy, though it is limited to certain counties.

Thanks. Forgot about Familysearch. I had a look just now for a marriage in the 50s and there's a link to the GS Film number and Digital Folder Number, but when I click on either link and try and open the image it says file not found (and that goes for other marriages I've checked). Are the images no longer available?

I'll keep Rootsireland in mind but might hold off on subscribing for the moment and see how I fare with Familysearch.
    Irishnewsarchive for death notices in the mid-20th century would be key for your period.

Thanks, new one to me. They don't offer any sort of free trial by the looks of it so I might look to subscribe to it.

crossman47 wrote: »
    Just to second familysearch if you think emigration to US is an issue. It has each Census up to 1940.

Thanks. It's covered by FindMyPast as well though so I should be covered on that side of things. But no harm in searching on that site as well.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,107 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Freebmd.org.uk is always worth a check for missing folk.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,107 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

TonyI wrote:
    Thanks, new one to me. They don't offer any sort of free trial by the looks of it so I might look to subscribe to it.

It is free to access in Irish libraries, once they reopen.

Irishnewsarchive also does a lot of offers so worth following their twitter.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Irishnewsarchive also does a lot of offers so worth following their twitter.

They along with rootsireland will add special offer sub rates on to an existing sub, which many others won't.

Thanks. Seem to be having some success with FamilySearch. I'm taking note of the citations for every record I'm finding. For some I'm content with having the citation but for others I might take a trip to the GRO and get a copy. Is it standard for some to just take the citation and leave it at that (birth cert for example, I can see the year/quarter and the mother's maiden name, so what else could I really expect to get from the actual entry)? Also, is it still the case where you can only get five copies per day?

And one more question for the moment on certificates. Is there any point in applying for birth, death or marriage certificates if I'm unable to find any record of the event using all the sites mentioned above? This link seems like a useful way to locate someone (and appears that you'll be refunded if they cannot find any record): gov.ie/en/service/124a70-apply-for-certificates/

• Advertisement

Werburgh Street is still operational, I was surprised to find. Just ring in advance to double check as they are limiting some hours.

I recommend reading our sticky - details of what's on the various certs vs the index are given. Yes, you absolutely should get the records, but that link is only for legal copies. You want to get historic copies.

irishgenealogy.ie has deaths up to 1969 and marriages to 1944, so it's mainly births post 1919 that you'll need copies of.

You can order by email directly with Roscommon.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Thanks. 4 quid a cert is going to add up pretty quickly!

Putting together a list of what to get photocopies of. There's a birth in 1920 that I wasn't able to find on irishgenealogy (100 year limit so was expecting that). Also looked at familysearch and findmypast but no mention of it there (and I've tried multiple variants of the name).

In this case do I leave it at that and move on? Just find it a bit strange as I can find all of her other siblings without any issue at all. And I have her death certificate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭Vetch

TonyI wrote: »
    Putting together a list of what to get photocopies of. There's a birth in 1920 that I wasn't able to find on irishgenealogy (100 year limit so was expecting that). Also looked at familysearch and findmypast but no mention of it there (and I've tried multiple variants of the name).

In this case do I leave it at that and move on? Just find it a bit strange as I can find all of her other siblings without any issue at all. And I have her death certificate.

Have you looked for it without the first name in case the the birth was registered without it?

It may not be registered but you could also ask the GRO to search for it in case there is an error or it is absent from online indexes.

Tried without the first name and other spellings of the surname. I'll try your suggestion though when I go to Werburgh St.

I'd suspect she's got a different legal first name - but always known as something else. Unless you have an inkling, you might just need to wait for next year when they release the 1920 births and you can go through them all.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement