Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Government Benefits Megathread

Comments

AdrianG08 wrote: »
    Again, do your research. 2 separate payments. 1 for those still linked to employer (employer pays and can claim back).

2, separate emergency payment to those who lost their job due to Covid 19. Where employment has ended. Kaput.

You are getting mixed up I think.

I'm not getting mixed up, but I can see where we're going wrong.

I mean informally. There may not be an official bond between the employer/employee, but the employee getting €350 will keep them out of the intreo office and ready to go back to work.

You're correct in saying it's not an official/formal connection. I was talking more in a common sense/day-to-day-life kind of way.

Ultimately it's still good news, all-round, in my opinion.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,285 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Threads merged

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭AdrianG08

I'm not getting mixed up, but I can see where we're going wrong.

I mean informally. There may not be an official bond between the employer/employee, but the employee getting €350 will keep them out of the intreo office and ready to go back to work.

You're correct in saying it's not an official/formal connection. I was talking more in a common sense/day-to-day-life kind of way.

Ultimately it's still good news, all-round, in my opinion.

Its good news yes, depending on which side of the fence you fall. Currently its a 2 tier welfare system.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭chooey

I'm just wondering would anyone be able to answer my query. I've handed in my notice 8 weeks ago ( have to give 10 weeks notice). I am finishing up in my current role in two weeks time and am meant to be starting my new role at the beginning of May. My role is listed as an essential role and we have to work from a clinic so cannot work from home. If there is any delay in starting my new job, would I be able to claim benefits for the couple of weeks until I do start? I'm not sure if it will even be an issue but I just want to forward plan. Thanks for your help

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭dublinbando

johnire wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone can help me with a question I have. I work 3 days a week and get 2 days per week through the Jobseekers.
    I’m now temporarily laid off completely so will the Jobseekers be frozen and this Covid 19 payment take over? I know I’ll have to apply for it. Thanks.

You will need to contact your local intreo centre and they will most likely put you on the covid payment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭recyclebin

The devil will be in the detail. No one has any answer to most of the questions asked above until they see the fine print of the scheme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭The_Brood

I am indeed glad that people will receive help, but...I am still working full time, from home now, and I barely get paid more than that weekly. A little bit more, but not by much. While continuing to work full time. That makes a complete mockery of my efforts.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,358 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

The_Brood wrote: »
    I am indeed glad that people will receive help, but...I am still working full time, from home now, and I barely get paid more than that weekly. A little bit more, but not by much. While continuing to work full time. That makes a complete mockery of my efforts.

No it doesn't your reply is nonsense, you have a job.

A bit of social solidarity.

mariaalice wrote: »
    No it doesn't your reply is nonsense, you have a job.

A bit of social solidarity.

But so I am expected to work and put in all the hours, but barely make more than those who aren't working?

I would be 100% happier taking the slight drop in payments and just not work right now. Should I choose that?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Frank12

Hi, I finished up work on the 13th of March , I had being with my employer for 2 years , I was due to immigrate abroad on March 29th , visa and flights booked and paid for ... that has since being cancelled due to shut borders etc and my previous employer has no job for me to return to due to the uncertainty and closures , can I claim the unemployment payment ? Hoping this is a short term thing as I’m actively looking for work

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭johnmc2020

But so I am expected to work and put in all the hours, but barely make more than those who aren't working?

I would be 100% happier taking the slight drop in payments and just not work right now. Should I choose that?

but if you're not laid off then you can't get the payment? or are you self employed?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,358 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

You would not get it if you choose to leave work, it for those made unemployed because of covid 19.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭d51984

Did anyone get paid today?

Its a disgrace Joe!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Ive always thought unemployment benefit should be relative to income tax/prsi paid. Those who contribute more should get more back. Many will disagree

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

d51984 wrote: »
    Did anyone get paid today?

Yes I know of one friend and he said his wife's friend also got paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Kewreeuss

I don't understand the wage subsidy scheme.
    Is it that I am working 2 days instead of 5, the boss continues to pay me full wages and can claim back 350? or 70% of the 3 days pay?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Frank12

I finished up work a week ago and I was due to immigrate on the 29th of March(with my employer 2 years) , flights , visa paid for etc , that has being cancelled obviously due to shut borders etc . My previous employer cannot take me back as he has gone quite and laid people off due to the virus. Am I entitled to the unemployment ?

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭d51984

Just download and print the form, fill it out and freepost it off.

They seem to be flying through them now.

Its a disgrace Joe!

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,285 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Beasty wrote: »
    Threads merged
    Threads merged
    Threads merged
    Guess what...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Has anyone figured out how these government supports relate to the self employed?

All I can see is the criteria for eligibility - "have ceased trading if self-employed due to the pandemic"

Some self employed will see a total cessation of income but many others will be in situation of partial but reduced income.

What does 'cease trading' mean in this context? Does the business have to cease trading altogether and how will that work as regards accounts for the year. Will there have be two profit & loss periods reported. About as clear as mud in terms of government info.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭coolshannagh28

I would expect the government website to clarify these matters overnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Santy2015

Wife got the €203 today will she get the extra €147 on top of this or will it €350 from here on in? Looks like she’ll be out for the 12 week duration..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

I would expect the government website to clarify these matters overnight.

I hope so, because it's one thing for the government to state that self employed will be included.. but in practice it's quite a complicated decision for many self employed and particularly those whose income stream is variable.

This will extend to many farming enterprises as well who will see reductions say in beef sales but not a complete wipe out.

BarryD2 wrote: »
    Has anyone figured out how these government supports relate to the self employed?

All I can see is the criteria for eligibility - "have ceased trading if self-employed due to the pandemic"

Some self employed will see a total cessation of income but many others will be in situation of partial but reduced income.

What does 'cease trading' mean in this context? Does the business have to cease trading altogether and how will that work as regards accounts for the year. Will there have be two profit & loss periods reported. About as clear as mud in terms of government info.

I'm wondering the same. In my case it looks like my work will slow to a trickle, but I want to be able to serve my clients again when this is over. The information today seems very black and white.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭rahmalec

I hope so, because it's one thing for the government to state that self employed will be included.. but in practice it's quite a complicated decision for many self employed and particularly those whose income stream is variable.

This will extend to many farming enterprises as well who will see reductions say in beef sales but not a complete wipe out.

Ya I'm wondering too.

I have a portfolio career of loads of random bits and pieces coming from a variety of sources. Mostly as sole trader, some paye and have my own company as well. All I have left is 2 and a half hours teaching a week (paid as paye). Everything else has ground to a halt.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭kerrycork13

I think it is very odd that community employment healthcare workers hours are not extended from 19.5 hrs a week. It would be very easy to put those on full hours for the duration of this crisis without being penalised as they are doing great work, putting there own health in danger and that of their loved ones at home all for 225. Euro. Would love to know what people think as regards this. And yes I am one of them and would love to help more than I am.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭coolshannagh28

You can rest assured that the actual taxpayers will have the most hoops to jump through

• Registered Users Posts: 34 theWebAdvisor

This line seems to have only been inserted today, it was originally lost income/employment.
    If taken literally it will have a very big impact on the ability of the self employed to get up and running again post this emergency. If you are to completely cease trading you would need to,
    1. Inform and de-register with Revenue.
    2. CRO need to be informed, companies struck off, even business names ceased.
    That is on top of the accounts issues above.
    In addition if any of your business is driven by search engines, site would need to come down or at least a cessation page, this will have the effect of losing your rankings, leaves you at square one again, this alone will wipe out my ability to get back up and running quickly.
    Needs clarification, hopefully some one posted it without fully thinking through and will be clarified.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭morrga

Kewreeuss wrote: »
    I don't understand the wage subsidy scheme.
    Is it that I am working 2 days instead of 5, the boss continues to pay me full wages and can claim back 350? or 70% of the 3 days pay?

You hours worked should equal a pro rata of salary received. So if you receive 70% of salary and employer doesn’t top it up then work 70% of the hours you are contracted to on full pay.

• Advertisement

mariaalice wrote: »
    You would not get it if you choose to leave work, it for those made unemployed because of covid 19.

So really I am in the worst position in all of this. I have to work, but all the work that I put in barely makes any more money than if I lost my job and was not working.

Advertisement