Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Luke Kelly statue vandalised

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

I'd say Luke Kelly would be very forgiving. He might even admire the artistic licence taken. One might say it was mindful vandalism as opposed to mindless vandalism seeing as they very carefully gave him a pair of sunglasses rather than just chucking paint all over him.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭El_Bee

Very ugly looking statue, saw a clip on the news talking to local residents pretending not to know who did, hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,391 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Mrsmum wrote: »
    I'd say Luke Kelly would be very forgiving. He might even admire the artistic licence taken. One might say it was mindful vandalism as opposed to mindless vandalism seeing as they very carefully gave him a pair of sunglasses rather than just chucking paint all over him.

So not a local then?
    :)

It is a very specific paint job... maybe they felt sorry for the squinting man.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

It may have been an art critic. It's a monstrosity.

One kid with a spray can...mumble mumble, forever homes etc. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

El_Bee wrote: »
    Very ugly looking statue,

disagree, i like it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RayCon

I saw it on the RTE news last night and laughed ..... then I heard a vox pop from a local saying "it's the worst thing to ever happen around here" and I laughed louder

• Registered Users Posts: 5,629 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

mfceiling wrote: »
    https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/community-outraged-as-luke-kelly-statue-is-vandalised-932988.html

It was only a matter of time. Probably the most famous person from the area (go on out of that Gately) and that's the respect he's been given.
    Little scrotes up to no good as usual....But but but they've no amenities, it's not their fault etc.
    It was a truly striking piece of art that couldn't be appreciated.
    Knackers.

Probably more facilities there than in most of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,631 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

RayCon wrote: »
    I saw it on the RTE news last night and laughed ..... then I heard a vox pop from a local saying "it's the worst thing to ever happen around here" and I laughed louder

I'm sure a lot worse has happened there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

KELLY%20SCULPTURE%206SH%20Read-Only.jpg

Are those veins or scars. Was luke into self harm?

I'm sure a lot worse has happened there.

thatsthejoke.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,338 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

The snobbery is absolutely hanging off some posts in here.

Will we ignore that the Phil Lynott statue has been vandalised previously, so we can pretend it could only be those pesky Sherrif St folk who could do something like this?

Fionn1952 wrote: »

Will we ignore that the Phil Lynott statue has been vandalised previously, so we can pretend it could only be those pesky Sherrif St folk who could do something like this?

Please walk through Sheriff St, maybe engage some of the delightful "youths" on your way, let us know how you get on.

Please walk through Sheriff St, maybe engage some of the delightful "youths" on your way, let us know how you get on.

I walked through it the day before yesterday. No hassle at all.

Edit - to add, had a few pints over the years in Noctors too....apart from the odd lad trying to sell me a bit of weed, never had a bother there either.

I walked through it the day before yesterday. No hassle at all.

Edit - to add, had a few pints over the years in Noctors too....apart from the odd lad trying to sell me a bit of weed, never had a bother there either.

Wow a local has no problem with people he knows, absolute shocker.

Wow a local has no problem with people he knows, absolute shocker.

Local?!? I'm from Fermanagh originally and Blanchardstown is the closest I've ever lived to Sheriff Street, pal.

Is stopping for a pint somewhere a handful of times, and walking down a street once or twice a week enough to be considered local now?!

Maybe walking through the area looking like you're about to sh*t yourself is what brings oh so much trouble on you?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,720 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

A good buddy of mine is in the 5-0, works a uniformed unit in Store Street station and also on standby to the Public Order Unit.

Their patch covers Sheriff Street on down to the Port and I would really love to have you sit down with him to listen to a few stories. I particular enjoyed the one where there was a student Garda under instruction who, though an Irish citizen, came from an immigrant family and wasn't white. To cut a long story short, he was ambushed by a mob just off Sheriff St and received a beating that put him out of the force before his new career even began. The attack was entirely racially motivated and colleagues with the help of some fire engines splitting the mob just got him out in time before his lynching was complete.

Now admittedly thats an extreme example that goes beyond mindless vandalism, but my point is, that statue was 100% always going to be vandalised, I'm surprised it didn't happen sooner and I'd suggest you take your charge of snobbery, polish it up real nice, turn it sideways and insert it very far up your condescending ass.

Larbre34 wrote: »
    A good buddy of mine is in the 5-0, works a uniformed unit in Store Street station and also on standby to the Public Order Unit.

Their patch covers Sheriff Street on down to the Port and I would really love to have you sit down with him to listen to a few stories. I particular enjoyed the one where there was a student Garda under instruction who, though an Irish citizen, came from an immigrant family and wasn't white. To cut a long story short, he was ambushed by a mob just off Sheriff St and received a beating that put him out of the force before his new career even began. The attack was entirely racially motivated and colleagues with the help of some fire engines splitting the mob just got him out in time before his lynching was complete.

Now admittedly thats an extreme example that goes beyond mindless vandalism, but my point is, that statue was 100% always going to be vandalised, I'm surprised it didn't happen sooner and I'd suggest you take your charge of snobbery, polish it up real nice, turn it sideways and insert it very far up your condescending ass.

A wise man once told me, 'the plural of anecdote isn't data'.

I parked my car in Dalkey once, when I returned, someone had crashed into it and driven off. If I decided that everyone from Dalkey was a terrible driver who would leave the scene of an accident, I'd imagine you'd tell me not to be stupid, all people from Dalkey arent like that?

Are there some unsavoury types living in/near sheriff st? Certainly, likely even at a greater than average quantity. Is it some terrifying no go area? Naw. Are the vast majority of people there decent folk just trying to get by? Obviously.

I'd suggest you take your judgemental, privileged opinion, polish it up real nice, turn it sideways and insert it very far up your artisanal, fair trade ass.

Maybe walking through the area looking like you're about to sh*t yourself is what brings oh so much trouble on you?

For sure my guy a blow in from Fermanagh would deffo get this defensive over a ****hole like Sheriff St.

lmao we can't all be tough guys like yourself clearly.

I'm about as intimidating as you'd expect for a man of five foot nine, with a beer belly and glasses. Hardly Mr Prize Fighter.

So we've established it isnt because I'm local....it isn't because I'm a 'tough guy'. I'll save you the hassle, it isnt my boyish good looks or roguish charm either. Anything else you want to consider before holding up the mirror?

Maybe your sneering disdain for them comes across? I'd probably want to take a swing at someone who talked about me the way some of you guys are talking about the people of Sheriff Street!

Maybe your sneering disdain for them comes across? I'd probably want to take a swing at someone who talked about me the way some of you guys are talking about the people of Sheriff Street!

So it's entirely normal acceptable behaviour to take a swing at someone because you don't like the look of them? If you really aren't from there you'd still fit right in :D

• Advertisement

Ray Yeates, the DCC Arts officer, said on RTÉ News with a straight face that if they're interested in becoming artists that they should contact his office and they'd give them all the support they could. hehe.

So it's entirely normal acceptable behaviour to take a swing at someone because you don't like the look of them? If you really aren't from there you'd still fit right in :D

Try reading the post there, buddy. I said I'd probably want to, not that I would. I believe the last time I actually threw a punch in anger was some time around when I was fifteen or so. Like I said, I'm not, nor have I ever claimed to be a tough guy.

You can have a look through my posting history all you want, I'm quite open about being from the North...if I was going to make up somewhere to be from, I'd hardly go with Fermanagh, would I?!

My problem with you and your ilk is nothing to do with Sherrif Street specifically, rather the sneering classism and disdain for people from working class backgrounds and socially deprived areas that you hold. It was one I often encountered earlier in my own career. Your insistence that everyone from a particular area is scum is dehumanising in the extreme.

Ray Yeates, the DCC Arts officer, said on RTÉ News with a straight face that if they're interested in becoming artists that they should contact his office and they'd give them all the support they could. hehe.

That's a cracker in fairness 😂

My problem with you and your ilk is nothing to do with Sherrif Street specifically, rather the sneering classism and disdain for people from working class backgrounds and socially deprived areas that you hold. It was one I often encountered earlier in my own career. Your insistence that everyone from a particular area is scum is dehumanising in the extreme.

Classism? lmao I'm from a worse area than Sheriff St, so I know what a ****hole looks like, I know how the people are, clannish, aggressive, a "**** everyone who isn't me and mine" attitude. More importantly, do you think I plucked my criticism from thin air? You're not the only one to have walked through the place on a regular basis, and I bet you're in the minority (if anything you're saying is true that is.) saying their experience is positive.

Classism? lmao I'm from a worse area than Sheriff St, so I know what a ****hole looks like, I know how the people are, clannish, aggressive, a "**** everyone who isn't me and mine" attitude. More importantly, do you think I plucked my criticism from thin air? You're not the only one to have walked through the place on a regular basis, and I bet you're in the minority (if anything you're saying is true that is.) saying their experience is positive.

Ah yeah, the mean streets of Blackrock must've been tough buddy.

Like I said, your opinion is there for all to see, you're happy to put down every resident of an area as clannish, aggressive and isolationist because you may or may not have had a poor experience with, at most, a small number of people there (if any at all) and you're afraid to walk through the area.

My experience was positive? I was hardly glowing in my review of the place when I said, 'I walk through regularly and havent had any hassle'.

Much like any other place, anywhere in the world, there are good people and bad. The crimes committed there might make better headlines than the ones in your preferred areas though.

Does Sheriff St have its problems? Certainly. Is it a terrifying no-go area? Hardly. I'd rather look at a better solution than the current one of walling them in and forgetting about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Ugliest statue Ive ever seen. I think they improved it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭kravmaga

And guess what folks the street art piece/ bust / sculpture of Luke Kelly The Dubliners has just been vandalised again with red spray paint as sunglasses.

This is the 4th time its been vandalised since it was officially unveiled to the public in Jan 2019.

Vera Klute has done some good work in the past but I really don't like this sculpture of Luke Kelly.

Is it time for D.C.C. to face up to the reality that the sculpture should be moved to their Head office or a Museum instead of its current location.

I have driven past it on my way to work and there does not seem to be any CCTV cameras covering the area where the statute is located.

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2020/0420/1132529-luke-kelly-statue/

https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/luke-kelly-statue-guild-street-18116060

https://president.ie/en/diary/details/president-and-sabina-unveil-a-sculpture-of-the-late-luke-kelly-by-vera-klute

• Registered Users Posts: 15,631 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

If you put up so much as an electrical junction box in this area it's going to attract local "artists". Doesn't have to be a big giant head.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

Animals. Absolute animals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

It actually looks better now. More spaying I say.

Advertisement