Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dermot Desmond's sons to bring Five Guys to Ireland

• 28-01-2015 11:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭

The quickest growing fast casual dining restaurant business in the US is seeking 10 locations in Ireland

north and south in which to start trading.

Five Guys Burgers and Fries plans to initially open up to five restaurants in Dublin – two in the city centre and three more around the M50 belt – before expanding into Cork, Limerick and Galway.

Northern Ireland is also in its sights, with one or two restaurants planned initially for Belfast.

The requirement is for a minimum ground floor trading space of 23sq m (2,500sq ft) with 139sq m (1,500sq ft) back-of-house.

“But if anything has been learned from the Five Guys UK experience, it is that larger stores, with up to 5,000sq ft of trading space, can work very well in the right locations,” says Michael Harrington of Harrington Retail, which has been retained to secure the sites.

The Irish franchise for Five Guys Burgers and Fries has been secured by Brett, Ross and Derry Desmond, the sons of financier Dermot Desmond.

The menu at Five Guys is centred on hamburgers offered with American cheese or bacon, kosher-style hot dogs, grilled cheese and vegetable sandwiches.

Its buns are said to be sweeter and “eggier” than normal and French fries are the sole side item, available salted only in “Five Guys style” or seasoned “Cajun style”. Some outlets also offer egg sandwiches on Five Guys buns for breakfast.

Five Guys food is prepared fresh on a daily basis. There are no freezers in any of its restaurants, and all foods are cooked using peanut oil.

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/commercial-property/dermot-desmond-s-sons-to-bring-five-guys-to-ireland-1.2081479

Good stuff! The only American fast food franchise I was impressed it. I just hope one doesn't open too close to the gaff, or I'll be pretty rotund within a couple of months.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

I just looked at their menu, and it's my idea of hell. I'd probably only go for either type of chips and maybe the non-cheese hotdogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Great, yet another outlet serving shyte food.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

American Cheese is offensive to the word cheese

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Is it kinda like Eddie Rockets?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

jamesbere wrote: »
    American Cheese is offensive to the word cheese

Their idea of cheese is horrific, so many places have it in liquid form where you squirt it out like a soap dispenser.

Tastes like digested rubber poo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

sounds good, basic straightforward menu with nothing in the burger you don't want.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

You mean Rockin joes :D

jamesbere wrote: »
    You mean Rockin joes :D

I think he meant Buddy Cadillac's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭Fox_In_Socks

sounds good, basic straightforward menu with nothing in the burger you don't want.

What if I want to eat grapes as a snack?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭RobYourBuilder

What if I want to eat grapes as a snack?

Then you can go into a supermarket or greengrocers and buy some.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Never heard of Five Guys.
    Hopefully they will do well.

Now if Red Robin would be so kind as to expand here I would be set.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

I'll be going based on this video alone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGkHRa64sDY

• Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/commercial-property/dermot-desmond-s-sons-to-bring-five-guys-to-ireland-1.2081479

Good stuff! The only American fast food franchise I was impressed it. I just hope one doesn't open too close to the gaff, or I'll be pretty rotund within a couple of months.

Get the peanut allergy people in there and have 'em all spazzing on the floor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭RWCNT

Had one in London a while ago, the chips were unreal but overall it was a bit expensive for what it was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Never heard of Five Guys.
    Hopefully they will do well.

Now if Red Robin would be so kind as to expand here I would be set.

It's just another chain selling fried muck that some people go all hysterical about because they know something about America that someone who has never been might not, like In N Out or Whataburger.

When someone raves about them, what they are really saying is 'ooooohh look at me, I was on a plane once'

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭liam24

It's just another chain selling fried muck that some people go all hysterical about because they know something about America that someone who has never been might not, like In N Out or Whataburger.

When someone raves about them, what they are really saying is 'ooooohh look at me, I was on a plane once'

This is spot on. There was a queue going round the block for them when they opened in Covent Garden. It's just ****ing burgers and chips!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Five guys do amazing burgers. Irish burgers are generally ****e. This is great news for the burger lover.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭arayess

Op whats the deal with this thread....

How does it link to islam ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

I think he meant Buddy Cadillac's.

That cannot be the name of a fast food restaurant? It sounds like the type of place where red-faced men with drink problems would go for 'a feed' after falling out of a pub in Ballygogoblet. And the only reason they'd go there is because they are barred from the local Supermacs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭The Peanut

There is an element of truth in this. It's the same as people queuing for the latest I-phone or the opening of the latest fancy coffee spot. I can understand queuing for anything with a finite number of items; concert tickets, etc. But some people have to be the first at anything considered remotely cool or alien to the area.

Ah the anti-hipsters are here. How cool. Anti-hipsters are the new hipsters

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Kinda. I've had it a few times in US and it's ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Hoop66

Bunsen Burger, despite being a hipster sort of place, does a fantastic burger. Because they grind their own meat on the premises, you can have your burger medium rare if you like. I did. It was ace.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

the picture makes it look like a run down chipper im sure its better in reality

Hoop66 wrote: »
    Bunsen Burger, despite being a hipster sort of place, does a fantastic burger. Because they grind their own meat on the premises, you can have your burger medium rare if you like. I did. It was ace.

Yah, amazingly the outfits of the staff and the clientele does not affect the flavour of the burger.

Best burger in Dublin IMO. Shame that the anti-hipster hipsters will deny themselves its deliciousness cos some young wan in there is wearing thick rimmed glasses. The gob****es.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

They've just opened here in Edinburgh, it's good, but expensive for what it effectively is.
    Ended up being ~£12 for a double cheeseburger, cajun fries and a drink.

Their soft drink vending machines have a ridiculous amount of options (all Coca-Cola products).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭The Peanut

The nicest burger I can remember eating - and I'm not a particularly big fan of burgers - was a place called Burgermeister in Berlin. Off-putting when I found out that it used to be a public toilet in a previous life.

Most people have a favourite eatery for something but it's rarely a chain unit. No matter how well-intentioned they are, they are hugely limited as they will always have to operate within a certain template.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

Been to the London one a couple of times, it's a great treat but very expensive. Think Nando's but with burgers. And less choice.

Their Coca Cola machine is immense though, can dispense any flavour you want.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,846 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Mmmm, 5 Guys Burgers...

Expensive, but very nice burgers. Bunsen (mentioned above) is probably the closest thing here to it that I've seen anyhow.

Advertisement