Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Newbridge Chat Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

Not quite a walk, but how about Pollardstown Fen? Or even just down by the river (I don't want to use the term 'Linear Park'). Or more hardcore, the Ring of Roseberry? :D

Is Pollardstown open? I have been down Linear any times, also a nice walk. Sorry, I ought to have mentioned that in my previous post?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,441 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

I'm not sure if it's open, to be honest. It was just an idea...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭Damien360

Is Pollardstown open? I have been down Linear any times, also a nice walk. Sorry, I ought to have mentioned that in my previous post?

The fen is 100% closed. The car park has the metal gate across it and there are new CCTV cameras present.

Damien360 wrote: »
    The fen is 100% closed. The car park has the metal gate across it and there are new CCTV cameras present.

Thought so Damien. Thanks for that. Another thing about the Fen - the walkways are very narrow if one had been able to walk there, and meet someone else along the way. Social Distancing would have been very hard there.

Thought so Damien. Thanks for that. Another thing about the Fen - the walkways are very narrow if one had been able to walk there, and meet someone else along the way. Social Distancing would have been very hard there.

It’s outdoors and it’s not often you meet that many people. Yes the walkways are narrow but not that tight. There is a unwritten rule that most walk it clockwise. Very rare I meet people coming the other way. You have a bigger chance of walking in dog poo than meeting someone. There was a spate of car break-ins in the last 6 months. Hopefully the new CCTV will put a stop to that when things return to normal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

New chipper called Luigi's Primo opening where Chick King used to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭itsnotmyname

and why not ...they own most of the town already . Hope it does better than previous occupants and they get good customers.

and why not ...they own most of the town already . Hope it does better than previous occupants and they get good customers.

Eh, where you referring to?

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭silverview

What would it be like to walk with a pram? Obviously i'm talking about doing that when it is safe to do so... never been and i don't live that far away.

Lidl have got permission to demolish their store in Newbridge and rebuild a much bigger one.

• Advertisement

silverview wrote: »
    What would it be like to walk with a pram? Obviously i'm talking about doing that when it is safe to do so... never been and i don't live that far away.

Personally, & this is purely my opinion, I would NOT bring a pram there. Aside from the uneven surface on the walk, there is also a lot of dampness on the ground. But to put your own mind at ease, why not do a 'trial run' go solo when it opens and You be the judge for Yourself?

Anyone living near there, and assuming this CV19 crap is over, I'd recommend it. It will only take about 20-25 minutes. And as said above, hopefully, with new cams there, break-ins are a thing of the past.

Cazale wrote: »
    Lidl have got permission to demolish their store in Newbridge and rebuild a much bigger one.

Why bother building a new one, when there is a 2 storey store vacant in Whitewater?;)

But seriously Cazale, any idea when they are starting the demolition & re-build? Also, will that mean Newbridge won't have ANY German supermarkets while Lidl are renovating? And ( sorry for all the q's) will the new bigger store be on the same site?

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭NedNew2

Personally, & this is purely my opinion, I would NOT bring a pram there. Aside from the uneven surface on the walk, there is also a lot of dampness on the ground. But to put your own mind at ease, why not do a 'trial run' go solo when it opens and You be the judge for Yourself?

Anyone living near there, and assuming this CV19 crap is over, I'd recommend it. It will only take about 20-25 minutes. And as said above, hopefully, with new cams there, break-ins are a thing of the past.

Agreed. With a pram would be difficult on the fen walk as it is uneven. The wooden walkway with mesh clipped down is three quarters way around and then it goes to gravel path for the last stretch alongside the water. The big wheel three wheelers would be alright on the surface. It’s a lovely place. Take your time and look into every bush and you will be amazed with the variety of insects, lizards (only came across them once), frogs and flowers (small orchid).

Speed van opposite Lidl today in direction of Dunnes. Never seen it around that area before.

Just back from The Fen. Glorious day and a fantastic walk - IT'S OPEN!!!

Only one thing though, whoever runs it WILL have to make the walk one-way. Only about 4 cars out there, but in those 4 cars one of the occupants were walking anti clockwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Just back from The Fen. Glorious day and a fantastic walk - IT'S OPEN!!!

Only one thing though, whoever runs it WILL have to make the walk one-way. Only about 4 cars out there, but in those 4 cars one of the occupants were walking anti clockwise.
    No requirement whatsoever to make that or any other walkway one way.

Social distancing is a combination of distance and time inside that distance.

The WHO says 15 minutes within a 2 metre distance is the risk.

Passing someone on a walkway or in the aisle of a shop or on a footpath is not considered a risk even within 2m.

Cazale wrote:
    New chipper called Luigi's Primo opening where Chick King used to be.

This opened yesterday.

This opened yesterday.

Anyone tried it lads?

silverview wrote:
    Anyone tried it lads?

Got this tonight with the missus. Got a few little extras to try them out. Mainly good but some bad. The gourmet burger, quarter pounder burger and the kebab chip tray were all lovely. Their onion rings are in a very light tempura batter which were nice enough but didn't feel like an Italian chipper style. The potato scallops were vile. Tasted like yesterdays reheats. They forgot to send us our bag of chips so I can't say what they are like.

It was nice but I'm eating healthy all week and this was my weekly treat. I'll give them another go but I kind of wish I had went to the Central Grill in Ballymany.

• Advertisement

Got this tonight with the missus. Got a few little extras to try them out. Mainly good but some bad. The gourmet burger, quarter pounder burger and the kebab chip tray were all lovely. Their onion rings are in a very light tempura batter which were nice enough but didn't feel like an Italian chipper style. The potato scallops were vile. Tasted like yesterdays reheats. They forgot to send us our bag of chips so I can't say what they are like.

It was nice but I'm eating healthy all week and this was my weekly treat. I'll give them another go but I kind of wish I had went to the Central Grill in Ballymany.

BEST chipper in the County IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

I have never tried the Central Grill in Ballymany; been in the one on the Main Street a few things but usually go to Cook's Cabin. Must try Ballymany.

BEST chipper in the County IMHO.

I have never tried the Central Grill in Ballymany; been in the one on the Main Street a few things but usually go to Cook's Cabin. Must try Ballymany.

It's a savage spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭ladyella

Another vote for Central grill at Ballymany, never disappointed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭GavMan

Are the ones in Ballymany and the main street separate entities or are they run by the same crowd. Nearly 6 years in Newbridge and just assumed they were the same

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭GavMan

They forgot to send us our bag of chips so I can't say what they are like.

When you're a chipper...thats a bit of a neddy no no

• Registered Users Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭foodaholic

GavMan wrote: »
    Are the ones in Ballymany and the main street separate entities or are they run by the same crowd. Nearly 6 years in Newbridge and just assumed they were the same

Id like to know too
    I never liked the one on the main street
    Assumed they where the same crowd so never tried the Ballymany one

I like Florinos - great chips but their burgers arent great

foodaholic wrote: »
    Id like to know too
    I never liked the one on the main street
    Assumed they where the same crowd so never tried the Ballymany one

I like Florinos - great chips but their burgers arent great

I always went to the one on the main street... will defo give the one in Ballymany a go next time.

GavMan wrote:

There is another one in Sallins too.

• Advertisement

GavMan wrote:
    When you're a chipper...thats a bit of a neddy no no

You better believe it!

Advertisement