Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Luke Kelly statue vandalised

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,186 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

I was thinking along these lines. Because there is so little to report on (for obvious reasons) these fellas get notoriety and can brag to thier pals. Most likely the same crew that damaged it the last five times in a year.
    It would be vandalised anyway, reported or not.

No one is reporting the vandalised street signs, tagged electrical cabinets, and graffiti'd walls and other general destruction that happens down there and it still happens.

Move Luke to IMMA or the grounds of Aras before destructive vandalism happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,202 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

It would be vandalised anyway, reported or not.

No one is reporting the vandalised street signs, tagged electrical cabinets, and graffiti'd walls and other general destruction that happens down there and it still happens.

Move Luke to IMMA or the grounds of Aras before destructive vandalism happens.

Yeah you are probably right bit sad if came to that though.
    As another poster suggests Could just put him on a height so lads could not reach it? But then it would be harder for people to see.

What is sad to me is that there seems to be no sense that Luke Kelly was 'one of thier own'. Something to aspire too. Plus, not that I know much about art/sculpture. But I think it is a cleverly done bit of work. Why would you want to damage it?

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Sure it's in a scummy part of Dublin, what else would you expect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Yeah you are probably right bit sad if came to that though.
    As another poster suggests Could just put him on a height so lads could not reach it? But then it would be harder for people to see.

What is sad to me is that there seems to be no sense that Luke Kelly was 'one of thier own'. Something to aspire too. Plus, not that I know much about art/sculpture. But I think it is a cleverly done bit of work. Why would you want to damage it?

It's a disadvantaged area. Not all people, but there are generations of scummy people and drug abuse is rampant.

Plenty of single mother Jacintas popping out sprogs over the years to leach off the state. The sprogs have grown up and know no better than learning from the behaviours of their folks. In reality didn't put much thought into bringing a kid into the world or raising that kid as a good appreciative member of society.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,783 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

About moving it, the taxpayer would have to pay for it to be removed and taken away to the new location, pay for it to be installed in the new location, all the installation and preparation work and parts, pay for more cleaning... could be 5 grand plus...

And then you’ll have people in the area giving out because the artwork of cultural enjoyment and significance is being taken taken from them, but they’ll be sticking up for the vandals claiming it’s happening because of a lack of social investment in the area... you don’t win with them....

Don’t give and they are up in arms, give and they wreck it and they’ll be defended to the hilt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭dd973

Whip it out of pikeyville and let it be appreciated somewhere else

This is the nasal Dublin underclass we're talking about, stop being disrespectful to pikeys, they're practically Trinity PHD Post-Grads in comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,729 ✭✭✭SeanW

I always thought having two statues of Luke Kelly put up in different parts of the city at almost the same time was a bizarre idea, more so the Sheriff St. statue which is just weird. Both the statue and where they put it. Just ... why? :confused:

IMHO what the city should do is take the stupid thing down, and build a monument to the Dubliners and their 5 founder-members (Ronnie Drew, Luke Kelly, Ciarán Burke, Barney McKenna and John Sheahan) as near as possible to O'Donaghue's pub.

SeanW wrote: »
    I always thought having two statues of Luke Kelly put up in different parts of the city at almost the same time was a bizarre idea, more so the Sheriff St. statue which is just weird. Both the statue and where they put it. Just ... why? :confused:

IMHO what the city should do is take the stupid thing down, and build a monument to the Dubliners and their 5 founder-members (Ronnie Drew, Luke Kelly, Ciarán Burke, Barney McKenna and John Sheahan) as near as possible to O'Donaghue's pub.

Some state of affairs when you have to move them all there, they would never get break from drinking!

The Luke Kelly head was put there because he was a head from Sheriff street.
    If they move it will be another symbolic slap in the face for the area. All because parents could not bring up a few feral youths properly.

I remember when Ronnie Drew died it was around the time Dublin were playing a match in Croke Park. A few Dublin supporters stood in a moment of reflection at Luke Kelly bridge in Ballybough looking at the plaque.

I thought it was such a nice touch and decent thing to do. Which is why I think it is important to have memorials in as many different places as possible. They will always hit home to someone. Or mean something, despite some people only knowing how to destroy. Creators will always be admired.

Edit: They have arrested the two that were involved in criminal damage of the sculpture.

https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/lukekellystatue-dublin-arrests-gardai-breakingnews-18348414

• Registered Users Posts: 4,870 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Can't find the link now but one of them is a guy in his 40s "known to Gardai".

Can't find the link now but one of them is a guy in his 40s "known to Gardai".

I was incorrectly assuming they were just stupid young lads. In his 40's!? :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,624 ✭✭✭✭josip

Probably being sprayed by Pee Mack who have the lucrative contract of cleaning it every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

josip wrote: »
    Probably being sprayed by Pee Mack who have the lucrative contract of cleaning it every time.

Thai comedy/horror/romance?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,720 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I was incorrectly assuming they were just stupid young lads. In his 40's!? :eek:

What a fukin eejit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭FVP3

There doesn't seem to be any coherent community spirit left in Sherriff street, sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

FVP3 wrote: »
    There doesn't seem to be any coherent community spirit left in Sherriff street, sadly.
    "community spirit" The same old line wheeled out to describe inner city areas.
    " we had great neighbours on our balcony in the flats" FFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,989 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Sure dont they play bingo, and give out stolen boxes of washing powder to oul ones, in between robbing bikes and shooting up. Salt adda ertt...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭mikeym

Poor old Luke.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,130 ✭✭✭screamer

I think it’s a hideous looking statue really awful. Perhaps if the media stopped reporting the vandalism of it, the scrotes would stop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭StackSteevens

And again, the 6th time in 18 months - how can skangers afford all the paint?

https://www.rte.ie/news/dublin/2020/0624/1149302-luke-kelly-statue/

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

screamer wrote: »
    I think it’s a hideous looking statue really awful. Perhaps if the media stopped reporting the vandalism of it, the scrotes would stop.
    Nah, it'll still end up on social media anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭dmc17

The state pays them well for it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Well this is different. It’s not even funny this time no creative element nor nothing just paint thrown on

To both statues; in different locations in what seems a coordinated attack. Did Luke ever play a few tunes for the nazis?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

If I was a 16 year old scumbag and knew that something as easy and crude as daubing paint on something gets loads of news coverage each and every time without fail...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

brucky wrote: »
    ... And the left wing looney local Cllrs whinge and grandstand demanding “community gain” from the Dublin Docklands Development every 5 minutes to prop up their electoral careers. Laughable if it wasn’t so sad.

Luke was staunchly leftist but I wouldn't class him as Looney brigade from what I read of him.

This isn't my own cup of tea as I prefer less not more state involvement in people's lives, but it is worth noting how Marx in his writings clearly distinguished between proletariat and lumpen proletariat. He didn't have much time for the latter. He saw them merely as a tool to be used by bourgeois interests. He saw them for what they were.

Modern day Irish, or indeed British, politics does not seem to get this. Like, at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,867 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Either Michael D. is smaller than I imagined or that statue is absolutely monstrous.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭AllForIt

How many statue's of him are there ffs?

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭catrat12

Ah for god sake I’m sick of hearing about poor old Luke kelly and all this vandalism of trees etc

Is it time to just put in a museum cause it’s just going to keep happening.

Also what exactly are the consequences if these scumbags get caught answer is none so there just going to keep doing it.

If somebody gets caught doing stuff like this they should be made clean up graffiti, etc citywide whilst wearing a sandwich board indentifying them as filth.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,370 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

With the IQ levels involved, I wouldn't be surprised if the perpetrators mistook him for a slave trader.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,386 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I think I'd just leave it vandalised and ugly for a while. No media coverage and then the novelty will wear off.

Get the locals involved with a clean up project and for them to take pride in it and it will eventually become unacceptable to touch it.

If they just repeat what they have been doing then they can expect the same results.

Advertisement