Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus in Limerick City

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,148 ✭✭✭✭Berty

There was a checkpoint in Parteen on Sunday, two Traffic Corps vehicles. It was so close to my house that I could hear the arguments between a driver and the Garda with the sitting room window open. :D (No, I told you my name, number and station, no I don't have to write it down for you, you can write it down, why would I write it down for you was all of what I could hear).

Berty wrote: »
    There was a checkpoint in Parteen on Sunday, two Traffic Corps vehicles. It was so close to my house that I could hear the arguments between a driver and the Garda with the sitting room window open. :D (No, I told you my name, number and station, no I don't have to write it down for you, you can write it down, why would I write it down for you was all of what I could hear).

Was that just for speeding?

Was that just for speeding?

Don't think so because they normally stand by the water pump so you can't see them when coming up from the Coop but there were 2 vehicles which isn't normal but I didn't see either of them with a speed gun.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭geotrig

Berty wrote: »
    Okay then to add a bit of other conversation to this "What have you enjoyed about the lockdown?"

1. It was so quiet in the early days on the roads, little sound of traffic
    2. The birds singing which is sometimes drowned out by traffic
    3. The good weather
    4. Somehow managing to not kill each other in the household
    5. Not spending money on random stuff, didn't buy stuff online until today
    6. Spent so little on Diesel
    7. Carole Baskin killed her husband, thankful that the world now knows :D

for me , the weather was a bonus
    1.What I've enjoyed most is that life has slowed right down and just seems a bit simpler, really enjoying not being constantly on the go and spending unnecessary money although that has increased in the last 2 weeks.:p

2.The quieter roads /atmosphere in general and seeing and hearing a lot of wildlife is really nice, bonus seeing that deer in town a few weeks back also !

3.In the 1st couple of weeks caught up with a lot of tv shows that I just never got around to for a long time.

4.people in general enjoying our outside spaces.
    5. nearly finishing a few projects :pac:
    6 not having to go to stuff !!

negs : outside of the obvs

1.shopping costing a fortune now ,but its ok as its offset by not buying random crap and less diesel costs !

2. realising how hard it is to get a lot of things here in general in this country and how crap our (ie ireland) online offerings are and how extortionate some items can be ...I got an item from holland recently delivered (4 of them) for the same price that 1 from a seller here delivered was costing.
    I dont mind paying a bit over the odds for local availability.
    3miss the cinema
    4miss swimming pools

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

osarusan wrote: »
    Was out for a cycle yesterday and saw two Gardai on bikes doing a temporary checkpoint outside Corbally United ground. First one I've seen in a while.

Motor or pedal? Always find the pedal cycle Gardai really useful for catching people on phones.

• Advertisement

Mc Love wrote: »
    Motor or pedal? Always find the pedal cycle Gardai really useful for catching people on phones.

In front of me this morning by Frank Hogans was a Hyundai Tuscon, driver on the phone(191 reg so obviously had bluetooth), what I didn't see was in front of them a silver Hyundai unmarked car who got out in traffic walked back and told them to pull over :D

Bluetooth people, it's right there. :mad:

Countless van drivers (work vans - with the company name on the side) you'd think they'd have bluetooth installed as well I've seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,539 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

On pedal bikes. They were waving everybody through, didn't see them stop anybody, don't know what they were looking for.

Strange - I've seen them waiting behind the old Adare Manor entrance before across from the Dunraven and watching motorists stuck in traffic if they were on their phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,539 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

They were only there for a very short time, no more than 20 minutes. Nobody will be stuck in traffic at that location anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Say hi to Gemma & John for me :pac:

This makes no sense at all. I don't support Gemma or John. Your understanding of the '15 minute' guidance is laughable. You can get Coronavirus in under a minute if spending time with someone affected.

I haven't met a checkpoint since March or early April. The aul essential worker letter is starting to go yellow inside the car.

Also, are the Garda rentals no more? Haven't seen one in weeks.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

I haven't met a checkpoint since March or early April. The aul essential worker letter is starting to go yellow inside the car.

Also, are the Garda rentals no more? Haven't seen one in weeks.

You got lucky so. Operation Fanacht only started for Easter (on April 8th) and they only stopped the checks on the N18 two weeks ago. I was stopped twice (and some days 3 times) every day from Holy Thursday until this day two weeks ago on my way to and from Shannon. I got very tiresome by the end.

Was only stopped once and that was before the tunnel so adjusted my route. Saw a rental or two in the last week or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭moby2101

Still quite a few rentals and other "exotic" steeds around. Some nice big engines mercs and BMW's as well... possibly seized re recently

• Registered Users Posts: 9,581 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Just a heads up for anyone contemplating the Click & Collect at Smyth's.....the queues are absolutely huge and slow moving

Went there this morning around half 9 (it opens at 10) and there was already 12 in the queue. It got pretty busy after that and took me about 20 mins to get to the door.

I'd estimate there was between 50 and 60 in the queue when I was leaving

• Registered Users Posts: 4,747 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Cartman78 wrote: »
    Just a heads up for anyone contemplating the Click & Collect at Smyth's.....the queues are absolutely huge and slow moving

Went there this morning around half 9 (it opens at 10) and there was already 12 in the queue. It got pretty busy after that and took me about 20 mins to get to the door.

I was there this evening around 4.30 and the queue was still very long, right back to the start of the block.

What's the story with Smyths? Its not the one that automatically springs to mind to be ultra busy... people trying to keep kids occupied?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,796 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

There's a State of Play sale, VR is gone quite cheap and everyone seems to be buying them (and for good reason too).

I can't understand why these places can't tell you to wait outside at a specific timeframe, and they ring you to come to the door and collect. I know a few food places doing this. You either ring when you're there or they tell you to be there at x time and ring you.

Roads very busy so far this morning. I reckon a lot of people will be chancing the trip to beaches, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,581 ✭✭✭Cartman78

What's the story with Smyths? Its not the one that automatically springs to mind to be ultra busy... people trying to keep kids occupied?

Pretty much....most people I saw were buying various combinations of play sand, paddling pools and other general outdoor stuff for the kids.

Agree with the point about allocated time slots

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭ShatterProof

Cartman78 wrote: »

See if the same thing is in Argos. Was in Cruises Street branch couple of times during week. Straight in and straight out. Was only customer there Friday at 11:00.

It’s collection only so you have to reserve beforehand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭db

I was just in there and only had to wait a couple of minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭xii

Colins Bar Dooradoyle, open for Food and Drink, some tables outside, didn't see much food mind you.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭the_blackstuff

xii wrote: »
    Colins Bar Dooradoyle, open for Food and Drink, some tables outside, didn't see much food mind you.

Drink as in pints and such?

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭xii

Drink as in pints and such?

Certainly looked like it, I was driving past.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭CosmicFool

xii wrote: »
    Certainly looked like it, I was driving past.

They're serving drink but only for takeaway, you can't drink on the premises or the seating area they have. Seating is for food only.. We got some burgers earlier. Few local lads in the housing estate next door were getting pints and bringing it back to the garden. They were very strict with not allowing people to drink on the premises.

There are some differences in what a pint is(like 80/20 gas mixture from the keg room and maybe a chilled tap) vs a can/glass but I don't see the attraction on price or convenience. Maybe it's support your local which is great but If it's just similar to Off Sales then why bother.

I see 2 carpet shops state they cannot open but then Factory Carpet superstore are open and allowing people in to browse. It's part of the current confusion I guess, don't open and go out of business(maybe) or open and people online comment about you. Can't win I guess. (Also I need carpets)

Was perusing beer ealier in Tesco Corbally and saw a beer called "Larkins" so wondered was it something to do with the nearby "Larkins Cross"? *short answer it was not

Long answer I didn't buy that Kilcoole based brewery beer but was berated by a mask wearing customer for turning the can around and NOT buying it. He bought red wine so he was safe to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭cnoc

When will Shoe shops reopen?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭adaminho

cnoc wrote: »
    When will Shoe shops reopen?

Is there anything in particular you're looking for? A lot of stores have an online shop. Also Dunnes drapery is open. I also found Dealz are good for socks and really cheap runners for wearing around the house.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement