Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Who will insure a Porsche?

• 30-08-2019 7:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭

I'm in need of some advice. I'm about to do a deal on a 2006 Porsche Boxter but I'm a bit unsure of how I'll go about getting insurance for it. I have two cars at the moment - one is insured with Liberty and the other with Autoline on a classic policy. I called Autoline this afternoon but they said they don't insure anything less than fifteen years old so now I'm trying to find out what other companies will insure a 2006 Porsche as a second car on a limited mileage policy - can anyone advise? I'm 30 years old if that makes a difference.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,039 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Phone a broker

Let them do the legwork

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

M3CS wrote: »
    I'm in need of some advice. I'm about to do a deal on a 2006 Porsche Boxter but I'm a bit unsure of how I'll go about getting insurance for it. I have two cars at the moment - one is insured with Liberty and the other with Autoline on a classic policy. I called Autoline this afternoon but they said they don't insure anything less than fifteen years old so now I'm trying to find out what other companies will insure a 2006 Porsche as a second car on a limited mileage policy - can anyone advise? I'm 30 years old if that makes a difference.

Chubb Insurance will quote your Boxster.

Barrett Private Insurances
    Unit 8, Adelphi House
    Georges Street Upper
    Dun Laoghaire
    Co. Dublin

PH: +353 1 2845070

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Jurgen The German

A company called Dual Private Client will cover prestige cars at a reasonable price, they are only available to the broker market though, a quick google will answer your question.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Carslover1

In case if you can’t find good offer, good option to be considered may be to use a policy extension (and to register the car in somebody’s name)

Carslover1 wrote: »
    In case if you can’t find good offer, good option to be considered may be to use a policy extension (and to register the car in somebody’s name)

Fronting is illegal. Knock it off.

• Advertisement

I think most important is to recognise how frequently this car will be used, as a seasonal car (cabrio) I don’t think that this is illegal to name an usage of this car occasional, so in such case what is a problem here?

I think most important is to recognise how frequently this car will be used, as a seasonal car (cabrio) I don’t think that this is illegal to name an usage of this car occasional, so in such case what is a problem here?

What's the problem? The problem is that people think their opinions on what something should or shouldn't be somehow are more important that the law.

Fronting is fraud, can result in the insurance policy being cancelled and potentially lead to a conviction for fraud.

Don't like it? Speak to your local TD and get them to work to change the system you seem to have a desire to circumvent. In the meantime, don't mess about trying to get around something that will cripple you financially when you get caught out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

M3CS wrote: »

I’d be more worried on how much running it will cost

I think you’re wrongly assuming that every case of agreeing registration of the car with another person (for example to avoid costs of motor tax if have another car and want to use that one occasionally) should be named as a fraud... if so what is a purpose of a policy extension and why this exists in Irish law? This is rhetorical question...

I think you’re wrongly assuming that every case of agreeing registration of the car with another person (for example to avoid costs of motor tax if have another car and want to use that one occasionally) should be named as a fraud... if so what is a purpose of a policy extension and why this exists in Irish law? This is rhetorical question...

It’s only a rhetorical question for you. Most people would accept that paying motor tax and VRT are clear costs associated with legal compliance in owning and operating a vehicle in the Republic of Ireland.

Sneering at the relavant policies and laws or trying/suggesting one should accept tax dodgers is to be expected from some quarters. There will always be freeloaders. If you reside in the Republic, pay the taxes as prescribed in our laws.

Your insurance on the other hand must be arranged with absolute good faith on your part, the importance of which you seem keen to dismiss. Fronting is fraudulent, always. There are no grey areas when it comes down to it, the way you suggest it be done.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

LillySV wrote: »
    I’d be more worried on how much running it will cost

In terms of parts? Are they notoriously unreliable?
    Keep in mind that petrol and wear and tear will not be a major issue for someone who is buying it as a 3rd car.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,871 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

mikeecho wrote: »
    Phone a broker

Let them do the legwork

I've phoned loads of brokers for my car, a GS450h, and they don't do any leg work. They couldn't beat going direct to insurance companies and some plain refused to quote. One company which I request a call back from, which they did 2 days early, had the poor call centre person all flustered when the data came on their screen and wouldn't quote me.

OP there's no easy way to get a quote. You need to try all the companies and brokers, insurance is such a dynamic business that me getting a good quote from a company means that the next person doesn't or may not even get a quote.

Most important is that you're breaking the law you mean, by fronting. And if it goes pear-shaped, who picks up the bill ?? Us, who don't, frankly.

I have 2 x cabrio's, and they're registered all year round. Frequency of use is completely irrelevant. Insure it when you use it, and don't when you don't: it's that simple. But you can't insure 'something' else and pretend it allows you to drive the other. And the questionnaire Insurance companies now provide specifially on the issue of fronting is ...illuminating. I had to do one a few months back. Lots of detail in it.

In Real Life, you insure it all year round and decide how much you use it as the whim takes you (e.g. today - who'd have thought 20 Deg C at end of an October ?).

Frankly your motor tax, NCT and servicing are going to be more than the insurance, so don't forget that either.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Q.E.D.

This proves to me you're trying it on, basically.

You can't avoid Motor Tax, period. Irrespective of who owns it, it must be taxed to be on the road, and SORN'd when not.

Even IF you put it in someone else's name, THEY have to tax it. And guess what you need to tax it.........exactly: an Insurance Cert for it.

So right now you're trying to avoid paying insurance AND motor tax on it. That's fine if you want a driveway ornament, or are going to track it at Mondello.

Why do you think cars like this are so much cheaper here than almost any other part of the EU ? - it's because the attendant costs are so high. The vehicle is the easy part.

Oh, and, re: LillySV comment on costs: they are not inconsiderable. I know: I have one. As do several friends.

Ode To The Motorist

galwaytt wrote: »
    (e.g. today - who'd have thought 20 Deg C at end of an October ?).

20 deg c where today?
    South of france?

20 deg c where today?
    South of france?

Athenry: looking at it on 'stat, now :D

Ode To The Motorist

Even IF you put it in someone else's name, THEY have to tax it. And guess what you need to tax it.........exactly: an Insurance Cert for it.

I haven't shown an insurance cert for tax for years and even for a 1st taxing of a vehicle to me car I just put random numbers down, still use random numbers for renewal of my bike and car. Once you tax online there is no check and the insurance data isn't used for anything.

Even when we had to tax in the office they rarely checked the cert, we used to be on garage policies and they never noticed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Athenry: looking at it on 'stat, now :D

Maybe possible if stationary in direct sunlight but the ambiant temp wouldn't even be close :D

Del2005 wrote: »
    I haven't shown an insurance cert for tax for years and even for a 1st taxing of a vehicle to me car I just put random numbers down, still use random numbers for renewal of my bike and car. Once you tax online there is no check and the insurance data isn't used for anything.

Even when we had to tax in the office they rarely checked the cert, we used to be on garage policies and they never noticed.

True: but I'd rather not attract attention, nor the 1k fine for not displaying it tbh. And when you're out & about in a Porsche you're going to be stopped before a guy in a 00 reg Micra. .....

ANPR is a factor too I'd have thought.

Ode To The Motorist

True: but I'd rather not attract attention, nor the 1k fine for not displaying it tbh. And when you're out & about in a Porsche you're going to be stopped before a guy in a 00 reg Micra. .....

ANPR is a factor too I'd have thought.

I agree insurance and tax are needed for the road. But you don't have to have insurance to tax a car, yet, and a lot of people still have 3rd party driving other cars that doesn't require the other car to be insured.

I'd think its the other way round. If you aren't acting the maggot in a Porsche a '00 Micra could attract more attention, who's going to risk getting a several grand car lifted for no insurance vs a €100 one?

• Advertisement

Del2005 wrote: »
    I agree insurance and tax are needed for the road. But you don't have to have insurance to tax a car, yet, and a lot of people still have 3rd party driving other cars that doesn't require the other car to be insured.

I'd think its the other way round. If you aren't acting the maggot in a Porsche a '00 Micra could attract more attention, who's going to risk getting a several grand car lifted for no insurance vs a €100 one?

I dunno: of all the cars that may not be taxed in a queue of traffic, a 15 yr old €1809 p.a. car is an easy target. Ours has been followed more than once....

As for acting the maggot, sure you might as well have a big flashing sign on it for that. :pac:

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

Q.E.D.

This proves to me you're trying it on, basically.

You can't avoid Motor Tax, period. Irrespective of who owns it, it must be taxed to be on the road, and SORN'd when not.

So right now you're trying to avoid paying insurance AND motor tax on it. That's fine if you want a driveway ornament, or are going to track it at Mondello.

Why do you think cars like this are so much cheaper here than almost any other part of the EU ? - it's because the attendant costs are so high. The vehicle is the easy part.

Oh, and, re: LillySV comment on costs: they are not inconsiderable. I know: I have one. As do several friends.

What machines have ye?

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭M3CS

I ended up going with Dual Private Client through a broker I know. They now cover my Porsche and BMW for a relatively decent price. I have a classic car insured with Autoline until March next year so when the time comes I might see if it's possible to add that to the policy. Thanks for all the responses and PM's.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement