Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Ashes 2019

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭Conchir

Strumms wrote: »
    That was a poor review, didn’t look close in real time.

A hopeful review at best. The umpires and players have all had fairly bad days in terms of decisions/reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,913 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

what happened anderson that he only bowled 4 overs today?

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭Conchir

Did his calf again. I’d say the other English bowlers are feeling his absence now.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Calf strain I think they are saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,783 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

The Smith 131 in 204 balls is a seriously excellent innings, considering especially the batsmen falling around him. Classy strokes and raw power, impressive.

• Advertisement

fair play to smoth. and has khawaja ever gotten runs in the ashes?

284 all out. not bad. about 160 put on for the last 2 wickets

• Registered Users Posts: 24,783 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

284 all out. England would have taken that at the toss and so would Australia at 122-8. Great effort by Smith and those who hung around with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,058 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Serious innings by Smith. Classy English fans booing him when he hit the century.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,196 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

The England openers don't want a nighwatchman to steal their thunder this week!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Serious innings by Smith. Classy English fans booing him when he hit the century.

English nationalism at it's finest. I'd love to see Smith, Warner and Bancroft score loads of runs in this series and run their noses in it!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Smith always seemed a decent kind of individual, the cheating aside. Warner not so much

• Registered Users Posts: 17,742 ✭✭✭✭bilston

BarryD2 wrote: »
    English nationalism at it's finest. I'd love to see Smith, Warner and Bancroft score loads of runs in this series and run their noses in it!

I don't think it has anything to do with English nationalism at all.

I don't approve of the booing there is a backstory that goes beyond the sandpaper business with the Jonny Bairstow incident in Australia a few years ago and just the general behaviour of that Australian team.

Nevertheless I only caught the last hour today and it was a brilliant innings from Smith. I love watching him at the crease.

A great day's test cricket with ups and downs for both sides. I think it's going to be a very good series.

If Jason Roy comes off for England at the top of the order then I fancy they will nick the series.

BarryD2 wrote: »

So it has everything to do with English nationalism and nothing to do with Smith being not only a cheat, but also helping to get Bairstow banned?

You think?

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭nice bit of green

I cannot relate to the rivalry between these 2 sides but it seems a bit faux. Having said that, there seems to be a significant minority of both English & Australian people that love to antagonize others so let them at it. They seem made for each other.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,196 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

It's all very light-hearted - both sides love winding each other up, but there is no genuine animosity. It really adds to the atmosphere. I've sat (and stood) in some really tense situations where there has been genuine animosity. But that's been at football matches. I've attended many Ashes matches, including one at the MCG, and it's all part of the game.

Yes there were 3 "baddies" in the Aussie team, and yes they were booed. However I reckon more England fans applauded Smith on reaching his century than booed him. And you can also guarantee the England players congratulated him. Indeed some are known to be personal friends. Bairstow opened with Warner in the IPL, and they got on like a house on fire

Cool, thanks for the insights. Yes I imagine it’s a million miles away from football rivalry. I just have to distance myself from the media overegging it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,691 ✭✭✭✭blueser

bilston wrote: »
    I don't think it has anything to do with English nationalism at all.

I don't approve of the booing there is a backstory that goes beyond the sandpaper business with the Jonny Bairstow incident in Australia a few years ago and just the general behaviour of that Australian team.

Nevertheless I only caught the last hour today and it was a brilliant innings from Smith. I love watching him at the crease.

A great day's test cricket with ups and downs for both sides. I think it's going to be a very good series.

If Jason Roy comes off for England at the top of the order then I fancy they will nick the series.
    Absolutely spot on. But you left out Warner punching Root in a nightclub a few years back. Also, the Aussies are not shy at giving out the verbals (remember Michael Clarke warning Jimmy Anderson to prepare for a broken arm). Consequently, they're not too well liked in England. To say today was all about English nationalism is pure nonsense.

blueser wrote: »
    Absolutely spot on. But you left out Warner punching Root in a nightclub a few years back. Also, the Aussies are not shy at giving out the verbals (remember Michael Clarke warning Jimmy Anderson to prepare for a broken arm). Consequently, they're not too well liked in England. To say today was all about English nationalism is pure nonsense.

almost as bad as ben stokes :rolleyes:

and anderson is one of the worst sledgers ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Drifter50

Is possible to listen to the test match special in Ireland?

Long Wave 198 should get you reasonable coverage on the east coast anywat

• Advertisement

Guerilla cricket is how I listen to it. It’s a few very knowledgeable cricket fans commentating on what they see on Sky. Light hearted, a few swear words and lots of funny jingles. Defo worth a listen.

Drifter50 wrote: »

Not that many radios have LW nowadays, but I've discovered 720 MW which carries Radio 4, and in particular TMS

• Registered Users Posts: 10,691 ✭✭✭✭blueser

almost as bad as ben stokes :rolleyes:

and anderson is one of the worst sledgers ever.
    Re Stokes; personally, I wouldn't have him in my team, even if he was cleared in a court of law. As for Anderson; sledging is one thing. Threatening someone with a broken arm is something else. You obviously don't think so. Fine. You're perfectly entitled to your opinion. As am I. As I said though, to put the booing down to solely "English nationalism" is utter rubbish.

There is little doubt that Anderson is highly respected throughout the cricket world.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭t8010789

Beasty wrote: »
    Not that many radios have LW nowadays, but I've discovered 720 MW which carries Radio 4, and in particular TMS

You can also listen on YouTube by visiting the bbc sport website and clicking on the cricket feed during play, then click on listening overseas which links you to YouTube. From my experience it’s rather data heavy.

I cannot relate to the rivalry between these 2 sides but it seems a bit faux. Having said that, there seems to be a significant minority of both English & Australian people that love to antagonize others so let them at it. They seem made for each other.

I think you have to really understand the Aussie cricket mentality to get it.They will call you every name under the sun during the game, nothing is taboo when it comes to sledging.

Score a ton and they’ll congratulate you, pat you in the back and then proceed to try and take your head off

But once the day is done, they’ll buy you a drink, marvel at your great stroke play and pledge their eternal love.

Before calling you a **** and trying to remove your kidneys in the first over the next day.

Ha ha, thanks Aegir. Tbh i’ve not met that many Aussies, it’s just the ones on the radio that make me feel a bit queasy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Smith's innings is one of the best i've ever witnessed. The 'great' innings tend to be skewed to 4th innings efforts but given where he's come from and the game situation that was stunning. The bloke is a freak when it comes to test batting. Averaging 9 more than any other active batsman. He may notbe as pretty to watch as some but in many ways that adds to why i love watching him bat. A guy just totally at ease with his own game and style showing you do not need to be straight from a batting manual to be brilliant. The best since Bradman.

blueser wrote: »
    Re Stokes; personally, I wouldn't have him in my team, even if he was cleared in a court of law. As for Anderson; sledging is one thing. Threatening someone with a broken arm is something else. You obviously don't think so. Fine. You're perfectly entitled to your opinion. As am I. As I said though, to put the booing down to solely "English nationalism" is utter rubbish.

i enjoy the boo-ing. its add to the atmosphere and i dont think its malicious. all in good fun and adds to the spectacle. plus smith prob thrives off it.

do you really think michael clarke would have broken his arm? it was sledging IMO but we can agree to disagree

anyway, lets hope for a goods days cricket today with plenty of ebbs and flows

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,906 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Drifter50 wrote: »

What about the BBC radio app? They have coverage all day, every day. Can you download the app in Ireland? I downloaded it onto my phone in the UK

Advertisement