Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Are you taking part in any LGBTQ events for pride month?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Fiftyfilthy

cgcsb wrote: »
    Nah thanks, we'll excercise our right to freedom of assembly, but thanks for your opinion, it'll now be especially enjoyable knowing how annoyed it makes you. :pac:

You do that and I’ll be content knowing I’m not some attention seeking drama queen

Half of you lot are only that way for the attention

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

You do that and I’ll be content knowing I’m not some attention seeking drama queen

Half of you lot are only that way for the attention

:confused: Seriously, wtf, lad...

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Fiftyfilthy

:confused: Seriously, wtf, lad...
    In reference to the pride march

cgcsb wrote:
    I know that a straight person saying 'the struggle is over' with regard to acceptance of gay people in this country plainly hasn't a breeze what he's on about.

I think most people are tolerant of gay people who want to go about their lives. I'd wager that some "homophobia" that certain people experience is nothing to do with the fact that they are gay, but because they are annoying arseholes who happen to be gay.

For example, if hypothetically, I very much disliked you because of the way you portray yourself especially when talking about gay issues, I would not be homophobic, I'd just think you were a knob. If you were straight and spouted the same, I'd feel the same.

Hypothetically of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,266 ✭✭✭cgcsb

That's just closed minded, dismissive, idiotic bolloxology.

I'm not a dog, does that mean I can't possibly have a notion about animal welfare?

You forget that this dog can speak for himself and can tell you exactly what he thinks and doesn't need you to declare his struggles as 'over'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,988 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

My one takeaway from this thread is that from now on I won't harbour an opinion about something unless I am within the circle.

Manchester United aren't in great shakes at the moment. Too bad I can't voice my opinion as I haven't lined out in Old Trafford.

The damn waiting list in the HSE is scandalous. May keep schtum though as I'm not a medical professional nor health minister.

Christ sake.

I think most people are tolerant of gay people who want to go about their lives. I'd wager that some "homophobia" that certain people experience is nothing to do with the fact that they are gay, but because they are annoying arseholes who happen to be gay.

For example, if hypothetically, I very much disliked you because of the way you portray yourself especially when talking about gay issues, I would not be homophobic, I'd just think you were a knob. If you were straight and spouted the same, I'd feel the same.

Hypothetically of course.

Honestly sweetheart, it's not all about you. I don't care if you self-exhonerate yourself from homophobia, every homophobe in the world can do that.

My one takeaway from this thread is that from now on I won't harbour an opinion about something unless I am within the circle.

Manchester United aren't in great shakes at the moment. Too bad I can't voice my opinion as I haven't lined out in Old Trafford.

The damn waiting list in the HSE is scandalous. May keep schtum though as I'm not a medical professional nor health minister.

Christ sake.

I think making accurate comparisons would be a better resolution for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

I know that a straight person saying 'the struggle is over' with regard to acceptance of gay people in this country plainly hasn't a breeze what he's on about.

You live in a country with an openly gay leader, gay cabinet ministers, countless openly gay celebrities, where we recently overwhelmingly voted for marriage equality - the first country in the world to do such a thing. We had a fúcking drag queen doing telly bingo on state run TV ffs.

If you think there is a problem with the acceptance of gay people in this country, it is you who plainly hasn't a breeze what you're on about!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,336 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

Some people think that is the case but thankfully only very few. Some months ago for example I had a user go..... pretty ape at me...... for merely suggesting I could empathise with the plight of homeless people.

Apparently unless you have been homeless yourself you can not in anyway know what it is like. I think the most insidious and problematic aspect of "Identity Politics" in general is this notion that if you are not X you can not know what it is like to be X, comment on being X, or have any empathy whatsoever for people who suffer related to X.

I think we need aspects of Identity Politics in our discourse. I do not write it off with a sweeping brush like some. But THAT particular aspect we need to kill off and kill off quickly.

• Advertisement

You live in a country with an openly gay leader, gay cabinet ministers, countless openly gay celebrities, where we recently overwhelmingly voted for marriage equality - the first country in the world to do such a thing. We had a fúcking drag queen doing telly bingo on state run TV ffs.

And despite all that, YOU still do not know what life is like from a gay persons perspective. Yet you still tell us in technicolour detail that all our worries are over. We'll decide that for ourselves, thanks.

Some people think that is the case but thankfully only very few. Some months ago for example I had a user go..... pretty ape at me...... for merely suggesting I could empathise with the plight of homeless people.

Apparently unless you have been homeless yourself you can not in anyway know what it is like. I think the most insidious and problematic aspect of "Identity Politics" in general is this notion that if you are not X you can not know what it is like to be X, comment on being X, or have any empathy whatsoever for people who suffer related to X.

I think we need aspects of Identity Politics in our discourse. I do not write it off with a sweeping brush like some. But THAT particular aspect we need to kill off and kill off quickly.

In this case though, the phobes aren't trying to empathise with gay people, they are trying to silence gay people.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

If you think there is a problem with the acceptance of gay people in this country, it is you who plainly hasn't a breeze what you're on about!

And yet, people are still harassed, attacked for exactly that. We are a more tolerant country than before, but there’s still a way to go. And that is the reason why I support the Pride network in my workplace and if I can (currently on crutches), I will try to make it to the parade on our float.

In this case though, the phobes aren't trying to empathise with gay people, they are trying to silence gay people.

I will leave you to take that personal falling out up with them, I am making more of a general point. I am certainly glad that the massive amount of work I did in the recent referendums where we won wonderfully did not require me to be gay, a pregnant woman, or married. Nor does the empathy I have for homeless people at all require I be homeless. Nor does the charity work I do at the moment for Syrian Refugees require I be Syrian, or a refugee. Though on that one I am, at least, an economic migrant from Ireland to here in Germany.

I think the moment anyone, on nearly any side of nearly any issue, suggests you can not understand.... empathise..... make a comment..... or be part of the discussion because you are NOT part of the group..... then that someone has lost the debate and lost bad and should be politely asked to leave to allow the grown ups keep talking.

And despite all that, YOU still do not know what life is like from a gay persons perspective. Yet you still tell us in technicolour detail that all our worries are over. We'll decide that for ourselves, thanks.

Or a womans, or an immigrants, or an alcoholics, or a fat person, or an electricians, or...... you know what this is going to be a long list, let's just agree it's a pretty useless metric and move on from there.

Do you think us breeders live worry free lives or something?

You seriously need to do something about that chip on your shoulder pal, it's doing you no favours!

dudara wrote: »
    And yet, people are still harassed, attacked for exactly that. We are a more tolerant country than before, but there’s still a way to go. And that is the reason why I support the Pride network in my workplace and if I can (currently on crutches), I will try to make it to the parade on our float.

How many parades do you think it will take to rid the country of assholes?

Some people (gay, straight, black, white, whatever) are just dickheads - they will cause trouble just for the sake of causing trouble.

I would say actual homophobes are very few and far between, the rest are just common or garden ****!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Honestly sweetheart...

This kind of Dick Emery-ism is at best archaic, and at worst makes people uncomfortable. It is, at any rate, neither appropriate nor necessary. Hun-Buns.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,126 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Anyone planning to attend the newly announced winter pride which starts on November 27th?

Ye can go link hunting yourselves but now you have a whole other event to, ahem, discuss :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 499 ✭✭SirGerryAdams

dudara wrote: »

People are attacked for all kinds of reasons. They don't need parades though seemingly?

Should all foreigners be fearful in Dublin because one got attacked?

Anyone planning to attend the newly announced winter pride which starts on November 27th?

Ye can go link hunting yourselves but now you have a whole other event to, ahem, discuss :D

I would.....but unfortunately I'm not a snowman so I'm not allowed an opinion:D

• Advertisement

I will leave you to take that personal falling out up with them, I am making more of a general point. I am certainly glad that the massive amount of work I did in the recent referendums where we won wonderfully did not require me to be gay, a pregnant woman, or married. Nor does the empathy I have for homeless people at all require I be homeless. Nor does the charity work I do at the moment for Syrian Refugees require I be Syrian, or a refugee. Though on that one I am, at least, an economic migrant from Ireland to here in Germany.

I think the moment anyone, on nearly any side of nearly any issue, suggests you can not understand.... empathise..... make a comment..... or be part of the discussion because you are NOT part of the group..... then that someone has lost the debate and lost bad and should be politely asked to leave to allow the grown ups keep talking.

Apples and oranges, you're comparing doing something nice for X group of people to phobes telling the gays to get back in their box because their struggle is 'over' apparently.

Do you think us breeders live worry free lives or something?

I don't use that word. And no, you having troubles in your life, does put you in a position where you can say definitively that the struggles of gay people against homophobia are over. You don't know our struggles, so you can't dismiss them.
    You seriously need to do something about that chip on your shoulder pal, it's doing you no favours!

No chip here.

Apples and oranges, you're comparing doing something nice for X group of people to phobes telling the gays to get back in their box because their struggle is 'over' apparently.

Not a comparison or inference I recall making anywhere, no. I think you invented that one on my behalf for yourself. In fact the latter half of your sentence is not only something I did not compare anything to..... but have not even once mentioned in any way at all. I would certainly not be in the group thinking the progress we have made on that issue is in any way "over". I am very much in the "Work still to be done" camp there.

No chip here.

It's a whole Borza ffs!

Not a comparison or inference I recall making anywhere, no. I think you invented that one on my behalf for yourself. In fact the latter half of your sentence is not only something I did not compare anything to..... but have not even once mentioned in any way at all.

So then why mention it, if it has nothing to do with the discussion? :rolleyes:

It's a whole Borza ffs!

If you say so

So then why mention it, if it has nothing to do with the discussion? :rolleyes:

Ehhhh I didn't mention it, that was my point. YOU did. And then suggested I made a comparison to the thing only you out of the two of us mentioned. Which is, at best, odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,102 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Ignoring the condescending conclusion to your post the issue we have is a straight person telling us that our troubles are over and that there is no need for Pride or any similar. can you not see the issue with that?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

It's a whole Borza ffs!
    :D I am so effin stealing that.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement

Ignoring the condescending conclusion to your post

Hard to ignore something that is not even there in the first place. There is nothing condescending about it. I think for useful and informative discourse to occur on any issue that is a minimum standard we should be working with.
    the issue we have is a straight person telling us that our troubles are over and that there is no need for Pride or any similar.

That is AN issue you have here, and not one I had been commenting on at all. I am certainly in the camp of agreeing with those who think such struggles are NOT over. That was not at all the focus of my commentary however.

The sole focus on my commentary was more general and was focused on the practice of suggesting someone no in a given group is not qualified to speak about it. Which is, of all aspects of Identity Politics, the worst and most insidious to me.
    can you not see the issue with that?

See above. After all was it not only this week that gay people were likened to "infected zombies" in front of a congregation of people?

Advertisement