Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Car insurance abroad?

• 18-02-2019 10:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

I’ve been offered just over 7 months work this summer in Portugal and initially thought (since we’re all part of the EU) that it was just a matter of letting my insurance company know and taking care of the details (ferry and passport etc) Seems I was wrong. My insurance company will cover me for only 2 months (60 days) so what’s the solution? I need the transport to get there and live while over there. Has anyone else been in a similar situation? Anyone know the best way to tackle this? All helpfull advice much appreciated 👍

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,617 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Why not buy cover in Portugal?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Bazz1234 wrote: »
    I’ve been offered just over 7 months work this summer in Portugal and initially thought (since we’re all part of the EU) that it was just a matter of letting my insurance company know and taking care of the details (ferry and passport etc) Seems I was wrong. My insurance company will cover me for only 2 months (60 days) so what’s the solution? I need the transport to get there and live while over there. Has anyone else been in a similar situation? Anyone know the best way to tackle this? All helpfull advice much appreciated ðŸ‘

Your insurance will provide full cover for up to 60 days, but they are obliged under EU directive to provide third party cover all over EU for the whole period of the policy.

So even if you exceed 60 days there, you'll still have third party cover and still be road legal.
    You won't have own car damage, fire, theft, windscreen, etc cover so depending how valuable your car is, this might not be an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,183 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

CiniO wrote: »
    Your insurance will provide full cover for up to 60 days, but they are obliged under EU directive to provide third party cover all over EU for the whole period of the policy.

So even if you exceed 60 days there, you'll still have third party cover and still be road legal.
    You won't have own car damage, fire, theft, windscreen, etc cover so depending how valuable your car is, this might not be an option.

CiniO, as is often the case, is correct.

If you are looking for confirmation from your insurer then write to them, do not rely on a telephone conversation.

What you need to tell them is:
    1. You are an Irish resident with an Irish car and Irish motor insurance policy
    2. You will travel to Portugal for a temporary period during the summer (up to 7 months).
    3. You will not be taking up Portuguese residency but you will take your car with you.
    4. You are aware that the policy which you hold meets the EU standard meaning that it contains third party cover for the period of any temporary stay in Portugal.
    5. Invite them to confirm the period for which any additional (comprehensive or fire & theft or breakdown) cover applies.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Bazz1234

CiniO wrote: »

This is very helpful cheers mate. And could be suitable also as the car is not very valuable (fortunately enough)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 cribbit

Hi Bazz1234 - Just wanted to see if you had results with an insurance company in Ireland covering you in Portugal for the 7 months? I am in a similar situation to yours and am trying without much luck of finding a solution! Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement