Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭PaddyFagan

Nipped out for a quick spin between calls this afternoon - 24.8km @ 28.2 kmph

BUT I got my first top ten (9th) Strava segment time - I'm thrilled :) but at the same time I feel like a geek for even caring :eek:

Paddy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

Cycled up to Lidl - about 4 kms there & back. Two oldish ones not too pleased that their scones were sold out. Apparently much nicer than the SuperValu ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,595 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Handy few kms done on the new bike as had a sports massage in the morning. Wasn't waiting till tomorrow to try the new bike.

Giant tcr.advanced.1 with Kyrsium pro sl sitting on 25mm. Bike comes in at 6.50kgs with pedals fitted, drop of little over 3kgs from my Alu Thompson r7200.

Might pleased with it so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,366 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

dahat wrote: »
    Handy few kms done on the new bike as had a sports massage in the morning. Wasn't waiting till tomorrow to try the new bike.

Giant tcr.advanced.1 with Kyrsium pro sl sitting on 25mm. Bike comes in at 6.50kgs with pedals fitted, drop of little over 3kgs from my Alu Thompson r7200.

Might pleased with it so far.

I'm always curious by the weight comments and by all means tell me to F off. The bike weighs 6.5kgs (very light) What do you weigh?

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    I'm always curious by the weight comments and by all means tell me to F off. The bike weighs 6.5kgs (very light) What do you weigh?

It was just a comparison in the LBS between bikes.

102.5kgs and guess now comes the your ass will break the frame now, well within guidelines from Giant.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 47,973 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i guess maybe there may be an argument that there's a correlation between a light bike and performance, not a causation.
    i.e. lighter bikes tend to be more expensive, and because they're expensive/well made (a possibly naive assumption), they are better at converting the energy generated by the rider into forward motion; so it's not necessarily to do with the weight of the bike per se, but because the bike is less likely to absorb part of your energy output itself.

It was just a comparison in the LBS between bikes.

102.5kgs and guess now comes the your ass will break the frame now, well within guidelines from Giant.

No not even remotely. :) That wasn't the reason for the curiosity, I was more interested in the mind set and order of priorities. In so far as would a person buy a bike because it's light over a slightly heavier bike with quality components. more robust components. All components will be quality at that price point.

Nothing personal. :)

i guess maybe there may be an argument that there's a correlation between a light bike and performance, not a causation.
    i.e. lighter bikes tend to be more expensive, and because they're expensive/well made (a possibly naive assumption), they are better at converting the energy generated by the rider into forward motion; so it's not necessarily to do with the weight of the bike per se, but because the bike is less likely to absorb part of your energy output itself.

What he said :D

No not even remotely. :) That wasn't the reason for the curiosity, I was more interested in the mind set and order of priorities. In so far as would a person buy a bike because it's light over a slightly heavier bike with quality components.

Nothing personal. :)

No offence taken at all.

The weight of the bike was only a factor leaving the shop, while i knew it would be lighter the the Alu frame i had it didnt matter by how much.

123kgs to 102.5kgs
    Alu to Carbon
    105 to Ultegra
    Aksiums to Kyrsium sl pro

Those were the order of upgrades if you like, could have waited a little longer to upgrade but have a redundancy situation so had the cash.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 47,973 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

that said, GCN did do a test with a standard climb at different wattages, with the cyclists doing the climb with and without a 5kg backpack; same bikes, and the difference was measurable.

• Advertisement

that said, GCN did do a test with a standard climb at different wattages, with the cyclists doing the climb with and without a 5kg backpack; same bikes, and the difference was measurable.

Every little helps when I'm chasing pretty efficent climbers up hills on the Sunday spin.

Every little helps
    reminds me of the time when a colleague claimed to have lost one pound in the previous week, due to a diet, and another colleague blurted out 'sure i'd lose that in two minutes on the ****ter!'.

reminds me of the time when a colleague claimed to have lost one pound in the previous week, due to a diet, and another colleague blurted out 'sure i'd lose that in two minutes on the ****ter!'.

You would be amazed the difference between morning weight and evening weight in a normal day, often had a 3/4lb difference.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Just back from a weeks hols with the family in West Cork, ~290k over the week with shortish early morning spins before having to do dad things, and one longer spin on the l-roads out to Mizen Head. (Cheers to ford2600 for picking the scenic route). Fantastic scenery and plenty of challenging ramps, lumps, bumps, twists and turns on the often barely paved minor roads. Long day got cut slightly short with a bang as I picked up a sidewall gash on the rear tyre, followed by another bang as the first tube I put in burst through said gash. After using a spare patch as a boot and fitting my second and last tube I ditched the l-roads and headed back to base on the N71. Highlights were all the little l-road roller-coasters, Lough Hyne and the climb out of it, and the spin over Barley Cove to Mizen Head. Delighted to have the cross bike, definitely the best bike for the terrain, not loving the Marathon Supremes so much.

392478.JPG

And sure who needs the Med when you've got West Cork? ;)

392479.JPG

392481.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭secman

Headed to ballyedmund... boolavogue.. Ferns.. Camolin..Gorey...Ballymoney..courtown..home.
    60 km Avg 27.5 kph.
    Down by Ballymoney.. came across start of the Wexford County championship but didn't hang around as was unsure of route.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Did the Tour of Meath 100 km today. for a flat route it was awful bloody hilly!!
    It's a bit of a milestone cycle for me as it's 2 years this week since I got my bike and I did the 100 km then, my first sportive. I struggled around the route in 4 hours the first time. Got round in 3;09 this time so delighted to see progress.
    Had a small shower of rain right at the start but left the rain jacket in my pocket. First few k I pushed on hard enough, didn't want to get caught in a bottleneck going up the first hill we came to. I was with my mate and we kept a nice pace all the way to the food stop. We got into a few groups here and there, took plenty of turns up the front but the very lumpy terrain meant groups were fracturing all the time and some lads didn't seem to keen to do any work so we just concentrated on getting round together.

After the foodstop we found ourselves in a strong group. We tucked in and they pushed on hard. And then harder again. It seemed to be 2 lads up the front on their own doing all the work, one of them was no spring chicken either. I asked a few of the lads was anyone else going to take a turn and no one seemed to want to.
    I was siting about 4th wheel on the outside and as we hit a small hill their pace dropped and me being alright on small ramps, I kept my pace steady and shot up the outside, more than wiling to share the load and give the older lad a break.
    10 seconds later he shot past me and gave me a sideways glance that I took to be pure disdain. The others in the bunch went past aswell and as my mate pulled level with me I said "Well F@*k that, if they want the front then they can have it"
    So I tucked right back in and the leaders pushed harder again, and again, and then I got a tap on the shoulder.
    "You're a brave man attacking a former Tour De France cyclist like that"
    "Wha..??"
    "Yer man up the front, that's Stephen Roches brother Laurence"
    And then I realised the look I got wasn't disdain, it was pity.
    And then they pushed harder again. And I couldn't let them drop me for pure shame.
    That last 30 odd km after the foodstop was the toughest spin I think I've ever endured. When we came to the sign that said 5km to go I was nearly overcome with joy.
    When we came to the last roundabout I gave it a dig and crossed the line "in first place" . I know, childish but I had to keep the charade going :o
    Anyway, we all thanked each other and he even had a laugh at me about my vain attempt at leading the posse. And I will never try that again.
    Got my breath back, had a massage, met Borderfox and Macnab from this parish, got some grub and I'm thinking now that despite the pain of the last few km it was one hell of an enjoyable spin.

97.3km with 659m climbing in 3;09;40 @30.8kmh
    https://www.strava.com/activities/651741719/overview

• Registered Users Posts: 24,937 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Daroxtar wrote: »
    ...10 seconds later he shot past me and gave me a sideways glance that I took to be pure disdain. The others in the bunch went past aswell and as my mate pulled level with me I said "Well F@*k that, if they want the front then they can have it"
    So I tucked right back in and the leaders pushed harder again, and again, and then I got a tap on the shoulder.
    "You're a brave man attacking a former Tour De France cyclist like that"
    "Wha..??"
    "Yer man up the front, that's Stephen Roches brother Laurence"
    And then I realised the look I got wasn't disdain, it was pity...
    I had a similar experience at the Tour of the Midlands last year. Caught up with a large group and sat in for a while. The pace was a little slow for me and I was wondering why no one rolling over. Feck this I said to myself and decided to pass the whole group and push on. It was only as I was passing the front pair that I spotted King Kelly! :o

(A few kms later I was passed as if I was standing still, and dropped like a hot snot).

The An Post Heritage Tour of Meath 160k today has brought this week's total to just over 1,000kms. I think that's the most I've ever done in a single week. :)

The An Post Heritage Tour of Meath 160k today has brought this week's total to just over 1,000kms. I think that's the most I've ever done in a single week. :)

Your Strava profile must make good reading, would you mind posting a link?

You'll only end up feeling inadequate :D

• Advertisement

https://www.strava.com/athletes/191477

This week was exceptional - normal service will resume shortly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shamrock2004

smacl wrote: »
    Just back from a weeks hols with the family in West Cork, ~290k over the week with shortish early morning spins before having to do dad things, and one longer spin on the l-roads out to Mizen Head. (Cheers to ford2600 for picking the scenic route). Fantastic scenery and plenty of challenging ramps, lumps, bumps, twists and turns on the often barely paved minor roads. Long day got cut slightly short with a bang as I picked up a sidewall gash on the rear tyre, followed by another bang as the first tube I put in burst through said gash. After using a spare patch as a boot and fitting my second and last tube I ditched the l-roads and headed back to base on the N71. Highlights were all the little l-road roller-coasters, Lough Hyne and the climb out of it, and the spin over Barley Cove to Mizen Head. Delighted to have the cross bike, definitely the best bike for the terrain, not loving the Marathon Supremes so much.

392478.JPG

And sure who needs the Med when you've got West Cork? ;)

392479.JPG

392481.JPG

Fantasic pictures. For me, west cork is one of the most beautiful places on earth and these pics give me the reassurance :)

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭whacker00

https://www.strava.com/athletes/191477

This week was exceptional - normal service will resume shortly!

Some reading alright... My total year goal is 5k, I just seen your YTD nearly 12k

Chapeau Sir

[url] https://www.relive.cc/view/651772120[/url]

Found this for Strava files the other day, pretty cool tbh.

[url] https://www.relive.cc/view/651772120[/url]

Found this for Strava files the other day, pretty cool tbh.
    Pretty cool alright. :) What's the catch? How do they make money?

(Rides exceeding 12 hours are excluded. :()

• Registered Users Posts: 5,418 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Just my usual commute but I finally managed to break 30mins, it's almost a year since I started cycling again after years off the bike and was more of a trail cyclist. Got my first road bike last year and started to get my fat ass out to try raise my game fitness wise.
    My first time cycling to work took 55minutes and nearly killed me. I aimed for 50, broke it, then aimed for 40, then 35 and now 30. It may not be much compared to the talent on show around here but for somebody who weighed 21stone 15 months ago I'm mighty proud :o

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Cycled down to the Wicklow Brewery in Red Cross and camped over night. 'twas a hard slog; quite an eye-opener to realise how much more difficult the hills become with a full load on the back of the bike.

On the return leg I snapped my rear quick release skewer just outside of Wicklow Town. I noticed it looked like it might not have been sufficiently tight, so I tried to tighten it... and applied a little bit too much elbow grease. DOH.

The afternoon was thus spent waiting in Wicklow Town for the train home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

No spins since last tuesdays commute to & from work, feeling really tired & not in the humour for getting on the bike, normally I cant wait to get my leg over(cheap gag, sorry) I love the head space I get from an hour or so on the bike to and from work and it helps keep my waist line at a certain size.

my question is, does anyone who cycles regularly get the "I just couldnt be arsed" feeling and if so is it just a matter of getting on the bike or taking a break?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,418 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Bloggsie wrote: »
    No spins since last tuesdays commute to & from work, feeling really tired & not in the humour for getting on the bike, normally I cant wait to get my leg over(cheap gag, sorry) I love the head space I get from an hour or so on the bike to and from work and it helps keep my waist line at a certain size.

my question is, does anyone who cycles regularly get the "I just couldnt be arsed" feeling and if so is it just a matter of getting on the bike or taking a break?

I'm sure everybody gets that feeling, when I get that feeling I give the bike a serious deep clean and have it looking brand new, makes me want to get out on it. Or I buy something new for the bike

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

I'm sure everybody gets that feeling, when I get that feeling I give the bike a serious deep clean and have it looking brand new, makes me want to get out on it. Or I buy something new for the bike
    I have some shorts & long pants on the way from sports direct, but I cant seem to shake that teenager feeling of Mehhhhh, i just cant be arsed!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement