Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

A view from the boundary - off-topic discussion

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Congratulations, sleep is probably over-rated anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Monkeybonkers

I thought you were the little one!

Congrats man, beautiful little girl :)

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,156 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Just seeing the highlights of Day 1 of NZ v Sri Lanka on Sky (as there's rain at the SA v WI Test)

That innings from Brendon McCullum was something else - he now has the 2 fastest ever centuries for NZ, both set in the backend of 2014.

195 off 134 balls is something special in any form of the game. It may be that Sri Lanka don't have the best bowling attack around, but his last big "effort" was 202 against Pakistan having already hit 302 and 224 earlier in the year against India, and he's become the first Kiwi to hoit 1,000 test runs in a calendar year

I've got to say guys like him are bringing a new level of entertainment to the Test arena. It's a credit to the game that there is a lot more ambition within Test cricket with more batsmen prepared to entertain rather than focus solely on survival (and this is coming from someone who's boyhood cricketing hero was Geoffrey Boycott!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,992 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Some special innings so far this year from Mc Cullum, the triple century against India when the game looked gone initially, the double against Pakistan just after the Hughes tragedy where he took Pakistan apart mainly Baber and the quicks and this.

Its tough to summarise the position of test cricket at the moment, attendances are a concern especially in Asia, and so many teams are poor overseas, but we do get some cracking matches and innings like that from Mc Cullum and from Warner and ABDV these days.

Heck Misbah hit 100 of 52 balls this year. :eek::eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Gillespy

McCullum in the form he's in must fancy a shot a Lara's record.

As amazing as that kind of hitting is, Karunaratne's innings was every bit as special if not more. Whose 190 was better, Smith or McCullum's? Vastly different strike rates but both still great to watch.

Gillespy wrote: »
    McCullum in the form he's in must fancy a shot a Lara's record.

As amazing as that kind of hitting is, Karunaratne's innings was every bit as special if not more. Whose 190 was better, Smith or McCullum's? Vastly different strike rates but both still great to watch.

Its very hard to judge. I'd say maybe Mc Cullum because that simply was not a 400 pitch first innings pitch and tbh it was just more fun to watch than Smith.

Not taking anything away from Smith, because it was a superb knock as well, I just preferred the Mc Cullum one.

Also on the Mc Cullum knock, I like how Angelo didn't bowl himself, but next morning when he was out and it was doing all sorts he brought himself on instantly! I'd do the same tbh. :P

So then Dale Steyn be honest what do you think of the current wicket you are bowling on?:P

https://twitter.com/EWNsport/status/550945784003592195

Kane on ESPN for catch of the day. I am going to go out on a limb and say thee ESPN lads don't watch to much test cricket.:P

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=12131004

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

Hello folks, I'm looking for a bit of advice. I don't usually gamble but there's a 75/1 bet that I just can't avoid. This bet involves 5 sports that I am fairly knowledgeable about. Alas, one of these is cricket which I don't follow and don't have a clue about.

This bet is England to win the ashes this year so I was wondering if any of you more knowledge cricket fans could tell me, do England have a chance? Is this bet worth taking?

Thanks in advance...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Renno

The fashionable thing would be to say that England don't have a chance. The bulk of the senior players that won the last Ashes in England 3-0, now gone, an ageing bowling attack, no replacement for Graeme Swann, etc, etc.

Australia meanwhile are on a roll, dispatched India this winter fairly easily, players such as Warner and Mitchell Johnson who can take the game away from England quickly, and huge depth in their bowling resources.

But.....England haven't lost an Ashes at home since 2001. They still have a team full of exciting batsmen, which although not proven in Test cricket, look decent enough. Trott could be back to bolster the middle order (although I wish he wasn't). The lack of a decent spinner looks problematical - especially when the series is going to be played at the back end of the summer, when spin could play a decisive part.

But Australia aren't in that good a position either. Lyon is developing to a decent spinner. Clarke may not play another Test, and Ryan Harris has to be struggling with old age/injury (although as I said, that strength in depth is there, and may be required).

So everything points to an Australian win - maybe 2-1 or 3-1 with rain allowing a draw or two.

But then the bookies wouldn't be offering the bet of England were bound to win would they! England have a chance of winning back the Ashes, but I don't think they will.

Renno wrote: »
    The fashionable thing would be to say that England don't have a chance. The bulk of the senior players that won the last Ashes in England 3-0, now gone, an ageing bowling attack, no replacement for Graeme Swann, etc, etc.

Australia meanwhile are on a roll, dispatched this winter fairly easily, players such as Warner and Mitchell Johnson who can take the game away from England quickly, and huge depth in their bowling resources.

But.....England haven't lost an Ashes at home since 2001. They still have a team full of exciting batsmen, which although not proven in Test cricket, look decent enough. Trott could be back to bolster the middle order (although I wish he wasn't). The lack of a decent spinner looks problematical - especially when the series is going to be played at the back end of the summer, when spin could play a decisive part.

But Australia aren't in that good a position either. Lyon is developing to a decent spinner. Clarke may not play another Test, and Ryan Harris has to be struggling with old age/injury (although as I said, that strength in depth is there, and may be required).

So everything points to an Australian win - maybe 2-1 or 3-1 with rain allowing a draw or two.

But then the bookies wouldn't be offering the bet of England were bound to win would they! England have a chance of winning back the Ashes, but I don't think they will.

Thanks for that very diplomatic answer ;) so I'll ask you personally, who would you put a few quid on? I've watched the ashes before with someone who knows the game and I picked up a little from him. I'll doubtless be glued to this one so who knows, I might even end up liking it..

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Renno

Not a gambler, but checking out the odds there, and they seem to match what I said, which I'm pretty chuffed about.

To be honest, I'd be putting money on Australia to win. But if this was the fifth part of an accumulator, and I was confident with the other four, then I'd take a risk. Australia are Evens at the moment to win the series, so I presume the bet with them to win isn't worth taking?

Renno wrote: »
    Not a gambler, but checking out the odds there, and they seem to match what I said, which I'm pretty chuffed about.

To be honest, I'd be putting money on Australia to win. But if this was the fifth part of an accumulator, and I was confident with the other four, then I'd take a risk. Australia are Evens at the moment to win the series, so I presume the bet with them to win isn't worth taking?

It's part of an accumulator which has

Ronnie O Sullivan to win the snooker world championship.

Rory McIlroy to win any masters.

Rafael Nadal to win the French open

The All-Blacks to win the world cup.

And our dear neighbours to win the ashes.

It's 75/1 so I see no harm in putting a tenner on it..

Edit: I looked it up and edited my comment to be the correct accumulator.. What do ye think, is it worth a punt?

Don't think it warrants a thread of its own but Shahid Afridi has signed up for the start of Northants Steelbacks T20 campaign this year. Hopefully he can do a decent turn for us.

Should put a few more bums on seats, although they got good crowds last year despite their abysmal performance.

Although saying all that, I'll believe it when he actually plays (the county have form for signing numerous players and then have them pull out of deal for one reason or another)

Mega signing really, he may be on the decline slightly internationally and still mental as ever but in the blast he could still be awesome, he tore it up for Hampshire a few years ago as well.

Most counties are looking towards India and Pakistan because they know their is an Asian population that needs to be tapped into and Afridi is easily the biggest draw from Pakistan.

Guptil has rocked up for Derbyshire also, 6 cc games and 3 natwest blast matches, could be a decent signing if he rediscovers how to bat. :P

Tom Cooper for Somerset is a gun signing in all formats, outside chance of playing test cricket for Australia in the next few years if he keeps his form up.

Also amazing takedown of Channel 9's decline over the years. Long but worth a read.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2015/feb/13/channel-nine-destroying-cricket-legacy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Gillespy

Can't believe so many people are annoyed by Channel 9. 90 overs a day for five days is a lot of time to fill, bit of banter and anecdotes from their careers is a good thing. Brayshaw and Nicholas aside, they're either ex-captains or greats of the game. People take things way too seriously. I enjoy their commentary every winter.

Maurice Chambers, Northants pace man managed to hit the bowlers end umpire with one of his deliveries in their match with Surrey. Probably sums up his season.

https://amp.twimg.com/v/93b7a9fb-28f8-4bb1-9ba6-7c714c1ed74f

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,156 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Very saddened to see Tony Cozier has died

Really liked his commentry style on TMS

RIP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Mongarra

Sad day for cricket, especially West Indies cricket. Nice to know the press box at Kensington Oval in Barbados is named after him so, if only for that and it won't be only for that, he will be remembered. By the way , probably a typo, but it's Cozier.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Just watching the second day of the first England vs Sri Lanka Test. Jimmy Anderson in unplayable in these chilly, overcast conditions, isn't he?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,617 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Sri Lanka's 4th lowest test total

About to start again - looks like a bit of a challenge for Sri Lanka to take this into a 4th day if the weather holds off. Suspect conditions will favour England again

Jimmy & Jonny make it 10-1, that's 6 wickets for one, 6 catches for the other

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

Good to hear James Taylor on the sky commentary after his premature retirement due to heart trouble

He's not doing a bad job

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Cook out cheaply again, still just short of the 10,000 Test runs.

Since he was made Captain he has never been the same run machine.

Just flicked over to the cricket after the footie and saw 1 ball to go, 6 needed for England to get a tie

Step up Liam Plunkett - match tied!!

Guess if I was only going to see one ball in the match, that wasn't a bad one...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

Saw the last 10 overs, thought England had blown it once buttler was out
    A real sickener for the Sri lankans

• Advertisement

Not quite so close today! England win by 10 wickets with 15.5 overs to spare. Hayles and Roy both getting centuries in their 256-0 run chase

Advertisement