Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Crikey we have an AFL forum. Say hello and who you support

Options
  • 25-01-2008 8:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭

Way great work in the Sys thread guys and thanks mods/admins/overlords for giving it a go.

Special thanks to Xazi for getting the ball rolling.

Anyway Lets see who supports who.

St.Kilda fan here. Gutted we just missed the finals last year, looking for an improvement this time round.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

wooot! congrats on the forum. Swans man myself, used to be able to watch their home games from the roof garden of my apartment. Happy times :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Brian017

hurrah, its finallly here! A collingwood man here. My ex got me into them!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,858 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Ah this feels good!

Eagles fan myself since 96. Family got me into it and I followed it in Ireland and now over here.

Big Bad Ben was my first Eagles hero along with Matera and the recently deceased Mainwaring.

Big loss to lose Cousins and Judd but players like Cox, Kerr, Hunter, Selwood and Glass should see us strong again this year.

Doesn't seem to be a mod here yet but whoever it becomes should sticky this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭legspin

Happy day children. Bombers fan myself (circa 1984). See you round the campus

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭nedward

Only ever watched the highlights on TG4-enjoyable always though-Go on the bombers!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭scaramanga

good stuff
    go on the swanies :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Eh.. boys? I'm a Collingwood supporter?

NOT ANY MORE!

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Skittlebrau

Fair play Xavi6. You put a lot in to get this approved.

Hawks fan here. Should have a good enough year again this year. As long as all those rumours about half the team liking the odd chemical substance aren't true.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

wow, i've acquired another forum and nobody told me.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

RuggieBear wrote: »
    wow, i've acquired another forum and nobody told me.

Ah the life of a CMod!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭tonton zola

Saints fan here also. Following the game for the last 5 or 6 years( I'm only 20 now though!)

Got to see go to 3 games when I spent a summer in sydney, including Sts v Swans at the scg which was played in a feckin monsoon.

Glad the g train is back for the coming season.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Casual viewer whenever I can catch the highlights (or extended highlights) on TG4!

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Brian017

I'm so jealous of all you people who have witnessed AFL in the flesh :p:o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

Yipeee..... Go the Dockers!!!!:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭dSTAR

Onya matey ..

Good ol' Collingwood forever

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭pd101

nedward wrote: »
    Only ever watched the highlights on TG4-enjoyable always though-Go on the bombers!

Same here but hardly saw any of the last season. I usually follow the swans. May get back into it now that we have a forum.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

Spent 3 months in Sydney before and went to see the Swans play Geelong in the Telstra stadium in 06. I'd keep an eye out for them when they're on tv so guess that makes me a fan...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭hanton12

Big Aussie Rules fan alright, used to follow Brisbane as I have relations there, and used to keep an eye out for the Swans because of Kennelly, but the Eagles are my team. Lived in Perth for a while and went to Subiaco a good few times. Was in Sydney for a bit too, and went to the SCG while there also, and was at the Gabba then with a cousin of mine, but Eagles are no.1!

hanton12 wrote: »
    Big Aussie Rules fan alright, used to follow Brisbane as I have relations there, and used to keep an eye out for the Swans because of Kennelly, but the Eagles are my team. Lived in Perth for a while and went to Subiaco a good few times. Was in Sydney for a bit too, and went to the SCG while there also, and was at the Gabba then with a cousin of mine, but Eagles are no.1!

That's what I like to hear!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

Saw the Eagles play the Dockers in Subi..... great game and a fantastic atmosphere!!!

Have a soft spot for the Eagles, as they were the first team I ever saw play.... Is there any public venue where they show the games as I don't have sky/ntl???

I usually follow it over the internet

• Advertisement

Dinkie wrote: »
    Saw the Eagles play the Dockers in Subi..... great game and a fantastic atmosphere!!!

Have a soft spot for the Eagles, as they were the first team I ever saw play.... Is there any public venue where they show the games as I don't have sky/ntl???

I usually follow it over the internet

you based in Wexford or Dublin? I'm sure the Woolshed on Parnell st in Dublin would show games, but considering the time most games are on in Oz, wouldnt be sure if any pubs would be open.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

eagles here.......

got a 10 foot long scarf as well from my stint down under.

so its Eagles, Giants and Everton

my passion.!

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Shutuplaura

Partial to the Tigers, but thanks to Martin Clarke I've a bit of a soft spot for Collingwood. Where I work they seem to have a Richmond only hiring policy so I didn't have much of a choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

Good to see the forum got the go-ahead. It did make sense. Now lets see if it is an active one this year, and the next, etc.

I have affiliations with Essendon (the Bombers), but was a big fan of the Krakouer brothers when they played for North Melbourne (Kanga's) when I lived in Oz for a while. I also knew a couple of blokes that played for Carling when they were the money team back then and won the VFL, but I never really liked them that much as they didnt have enough 'soul'. Just to get good ribbing I stuck with the Kanga's.

I generally watch the highlights of many of the games each season on TG4 (and also Setanta had some) and follow the premiership battle as close as I can on the net. I'm following the moves of any Irish players very closely and their development, such as the o'hAilpins, Brendan Kennealy, Martin Clarke who stormed in from nowhere last season, and in the past Jim Synes and a few others.

It was good to see Brisbane and St.Kilda have their battles a few years ago, then the rise of the Adelaide teams and also WCE. Sydney were in their too so Melbourne is far from having it their way.

Looking forward to a good season, which no doubt will throw up a few surprises.

Redspider

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 McBurnie

Guess I am all alone when I say CMON THE POWER :D hah

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭blackbelt

Hey folks,

Some of you may know me as "The fanatic" on the GAA forum.:D:D

Basically I only realised this forum today but was around when the rally got going for it.

I'm curious and a bit embarassed at the same time.Embarassed to say that I don't have much of a clue about AFL,its rules and teams and curious to know how the game is played ie rules,scores etc.

I have a cousin in Melbourne and while I have no immediate plans to go there yet,I may go in a few years.Just curious as to how I can follow it and get an understanding for the game.My mate Nalced_Irl on the GAA forum has been to a few games over there and said it was good although a one sided match could be as boring as hell,even worse than a one sided GAA match.

Any help?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

blackbelt wrote: »
    Hey folks,

Basically I only realised this forum today but was around when the rally got going for it.

I'm curious and a bit embarassed at the same time.Embarassed to say that I don't have much of a clue about AFL,its rules and teams and curious to know how the game is played ie rules,scores etc.

I have a cousin in Melbourne and while I have no immediate plans to go there yet,I may go in a few years.Just curious as to how I can follow it and get an understanding for the game.My mate Nalced_Irl on the GAA forum has been to a few games over there and said it was good although a one sided match could be as boring as hell,even worse than a one sided GAA match.

Any help?

The only way I would say is to watch games. Setanta had good coverge last year and we are all hoping for the same this year. The only thing I would say is that most GAA fans I know do like the game after watching it a few times.

He is correct reagrding a one sided match, it can seem quite boring I think this is mainly due to the number of stoppages that seem to occur and with no suspense in the game it can become boring.

www.afl.com.au might help you out as well.

Hey folks,

Any help?

I've started a thread just for you :D

Hey folks,

Any help?

yeah once you get into it its easy enough to pick up. At times I'd look at it with my GAA head on and wonder how guys would miss an open shot at the goal from 20 yards out, but then you see some of the hits and puts that aspect of it back in its place!

Have a look around on youtube too, would have some highlights and stuff.

And look up videos on the West Coast Eagles too! Best team around! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Raytown Rocks

Watch all the highlights on tv over here.
    As for affiliation I am a Hawks fan, as the first stubby holder I ever bought was for the hawks.
    Also liked Melbourne Demons, suppose beacuse I lived there for a year plus the Stynes connection at the time.
    Went to see them in the MCG once ( only once sorry), what a stadium.
    Also liked Geelong, when Gary abblett played for them, shows how long ago I was there I suppose.
    So overall I would call myself a fan of the sport, with a soft spot for the Hawks.

God I made hard work of that........!!!!

Advertisement