Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Improving/Learning to swim

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Question!

I used to swim a lot when I was in my early teens - not for sport or exercise so much as fun. I was very confident in deep water, though I never swam outside of a swimming pool.

For various reasons, mostly related to my eyesight, I haven't swam or so much as been in a swimming pool since, um, 1996. :o

Yes, 1996.

I'll find out one way or another, but what are the chances that someone (aka me) would have forgotten how to swim in the intervening period?

I intend to start swimming weekly again soon and just thought I'd ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Clseeper

Very little chance that you'll be unable to swim. The worst that'll happen is that it takes a while to get used to the water again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭francie81

Furet wrote: »
    Question!

I used to swim a lot when I was in my early teens - not for sport or exercise so much as fun. I was very confident in deep water, though I never swam outside of a swimming pool.

For various reasons, mostly related to my eyesight, I haven't swam or so much as been in a swimming pool since, um, 1996. :o

Yes, 1996.

I'll find out one way or another, but what are the chances that someone (aka me) would have forgotten how to swim in the intervening period?

I agree but at the same time I believe (from just starting to learn how to swim) if you have being idle for quite a long time it would be hard getting back into it but the fact that you sound like a competent swimmer shouldn't take much to ge into your stride again.
    Am resuming swimming lessons from tuesday at intermediate level looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭Burkatron

Question!

Yes, 1996.

Furet,
    As Clseeper has said, there will be very little chance you WONT be able to swim at all as you would have muscle memory from when you were swimming before even if you haven't swam in 14 years it will be hardwired into your nervous system. Just don't rush it as water fitness will be your biggest obstacle. Have you a plan/programme you're going to follow? You probably know this but anyway, setting short, medium & long term goals is the best way to keep you motivated when taking up or returning to a sport/activity!

Burkatron wrote: »
    Furet,
    As Clseeper has said, there will be very little chance you WONT be able to swim at all as you would have muscle memory from when you were swimming before even if you haven't swam in 14 years it will be hardwired into your nervous system. Just don't rush it as water fitness will be your biggest obstacle. Have you a plan/programme you're going to follow? You probably know this but anyway, setting short, medium & long term goals is the best way to keep you motivated when taking up or returning to a sport/activity!

Thanks for that Burkatron. I was just planning to try and swim a few lengths of the pool maybe twice per week. My goals aren't any more specific than that at present. What do you think would constitute a decent bout of exercise for, say, one hour in a pool?

• Advertisement

Thanks for that Burkatron. I was just planning to try and swim a few lengths of the pool maybe twice per week. My goals aren't any more specific than that at present. What do you think would constitute a decent bout of exercise for, say, one hour in a pool?

TBH it depends on abillity & fitness. I personally think an hour is way to long at the best of time unless you're training for specifity (i.e a long distance swim & nothing else) as you're getting into monsostructural long slow distance training which will take away from your overall strength & power development. You'd be better off doing as much as you can in shorter amount of time (shorter & higher intensity is much more beneficial then longer & lower intensity unless its as said before specific training)especially if you play any other sports or lift weights! In other words It's all relative.

The guys I train are mostly beginners so when I want to build distance initially I usually have them run off something similar to the 0-700m programme Here followed up by something similar to Here IMO they're good structured programmes with short & medium term goals.
    Edit: Yards to metres are roughly 1:1

This is brilliant information, many many thanks. I'll start off slow so.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,522 ✭✭✭kingshankly

hi folks great thread I swim a couple of times a week in a 25 metre pool, thing is I alway use a float between my legs and have become quite comfortable at this consistently doing 50 odd lengths with 19/20 stroke breathing every 4 .
    but now I have a triathlon in mind so gotta ditch the float but my form is all over the place, struggle to do 20 lengths with an increased stroke count, kicking is all over the place. have tried holding the float and kicking a couple of lengths but it takes for ever I'm barely moving(unless I have the flippers on).
    is it a matter of practice or should I get a lesson.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭death1234567

Tremelo wrote: »
    This is brilliant information, many many thanks. I'll start off slow so.
    If your eyesight is an issue These might help.

Anyone got any tips for improving your Butterfly kick?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Kate P

TBH it depends on abillity & fitness. I personally think an hour is way to long at the best of time unless you're training for specifity (i.e a long distance swim & nothing else) as you're getting into monsostructural long slow distance training which will take away from your overall strength & power development. You'd be better off doing as much as you can in shorter amount of time (shorter & higher intensity is much more beneficial then longer & lower intensity unless its as said before specific training)especially if you play any other sports or lift weights! In other words It's all relative.

I'll pick your brain, too. Thanks in advance.

I'm working on something like this at the moment - I'm not as fit as I'd like to be but I can get from one end of the pool to the other - 25m - with decent technique but well out of breath. I've built up to being able to do 600m but stopping after each 25. I've been working for the last couple of days on taking shorter breaks.

The guys I train are mostly beginners so when I want to build distance initially I usually have them run off something similar to the 0-700m programme Here followed up by something similar to Here IMO they're good structured programmes with short & medium term goals.
    Edit: Yards to metres are roughly 1:1[/QUOTE]

The programmes look good - but there's the small matter of the old heart and lungs exploding. It seems like a big ask of the body to go so far without a break. :eek:

• Advertisement

Was away taking my 2nd lesson at 'Intermediate Level' tonight and just to give an overview of where I am, ok so I can go on the front crawl kicking my legs no problem but still having difficulty bringing my arms into motion, I know I have to get this before I focus thoroughly on the breathing technique, I've no problem doing the backstroke buts its the arms again that let me down, am gonna promiss myself to practice outside of the lessons it really is the only way to become more competent in the water.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭35x

Took up swimming late in life...best decision ever! However, I have a problem with my pool at present as the water is very cold since November. A number of members have complained to mgmt but totally unconvincing responses eg "due to cold weather" !!!!!! etc and no change in temp.
    Does anybody know if there is a minimum temp standard for pools (hotel + membership)? I'm not looking for hot water but certainly not for this temp. If you are a really good swimmer doing several lengths, you could 'warm' yourself, but for the ordinary guy, this is not possible.:confused:

35x wrote: »
    Took up swimming late in life...best decision ever! However, I have a problem with my pool at present as the water is very cold since November. A number of members have complained to mgmt but totally unconvincing responses eg "due to cold weather" !!!!!! etc and no change in temp.
    Does anybody know if there is a minimum temp standard for pools (hotel + membership)? I'm not looking for hot water but certainly not for this temp. If you are a really good swimmer doing several lengths, you could 'warm' yourself, but for the ordinary guy, this is not possible.:confused:

I hear ya mate. I go to Aura and the same can be said about the pool temperature being well below what it should be and what the meter reads on the wall in contrast with the kids pools thats always at the desired temperature, it can only come down to maintenance or specific times of the day were the choose wether to keep the pool fully heated or not but its a very good point to mention particularly when your taking lessons and needing to be fully focused. How are you getting along anyway?

hi folks great thread I swim a couple of times a week in a 25 metre pool, thing is I alway use a float between my legs and have become quite comfortable at this consistently doing 50 odd lengths with 19/20 stroke breathing every 4 .
    but now I have a triathlon in mind so gotta ditch the float but my form is all over the place, struggle to do 20 lengths with an increased stroke count, kicking is all over the place. have tried holding the float and kicking a couple of lengths but it takes for ever I'm barely moving(unless I have the flippers on).
    is it a matter of practice or should I get a lesson.
    • How often do you wear training fins/flippers?
    • Are they Shortblade or long blade?
    • Leg sets are good if your technique is good so a competent instructor will be able to see where you're going wrong!
    • Best thing to do would be talk to an instructor as there could be other issues throwing you off!

If your eyesight is an issue These might help.

Anyone got any tips for improving your Butterfly kick?

I thought I replied to this already!!

Improving butterfly kick is something I've always found tricky (rediscovering this after double hernia surgery :()

The following has worked for me in the past:
    • When practicing have fun with it, swim the kick under the water turning from your front to your side to your back, get comfortable in different positions while using the kick. See how far you can go doing this!
    • The above with a monofin will really help improve your kick. If you cant get a monofin, you can glue a couple of training fins together (there's a guide to this somewhere...google is your friend :)), if not just use training fins as normal.
    • Next Practice Butterfly at an (kicks : arms) 8:1, 6:1,4:1 then standard 2:1
      Put this into different sets, wash, rinse, repeat.
    Kate P wrote: »
    I'll pick your brain, too. Thanks in advance.

I'm working on something like this at the moment - I'm not as fit as I'd like to be but I can get from one end of the pool to the other - 25m - with decent technique but well out of breath. I've built up to being able to do 600m but stopping after each 25. I've been working for the last couple of days on taking shorter breaks.

Edit: Yards to metres are roughly 1:1

The programmes look good - but there's the small matter of the old heart and lungs exploding. It seems like a big ask of the body to go so far without a break. :eek:[/QUOTE]

Give it a go, if you do you'll look back at this in 6-10 weeks time & wonder what the fuss was about :)
    francie81 wrote: »
    Was away taking my 2nd lesson at 'Intermediate Level' tonight and just to give an overview of where I am, ok so I can go on the front crawl kicking my legs no problem but still having difficulty bringing my arms into motion, I know I have to get this before I focus thoroughly on the breathing technique, I've no problem doing the backstroke buts its the arms again that let me down, am gonna promiss myself to practice outside of the lessons it really is the only way to become more competent in the water.

Defo get out & do that, even once a week ontop of lessons will double your progress. Like anything else, you get out what you put into it! I had a guy go from poor technique to finishing a sprint Tri in 10 weeks, he was in the water with me once a week for 6 weeks & 4-5 days a week for the 9 weeks prior, so there you go!

AFAIK it costs in the region of €10,000 to heat a 20m Length by 4 ft depth pool, that'll give you an idea of why they're dropping the temp! Not sure on a legal minimum, I wouldn't be suprised if there is 1 in this country, sure we dont need fupping lifeguards either :rolleyes: Pools (I've worked in)tend to be heated at 26-27 C if they have toddlers lessons the minimum should be 30 C
    I hear ya mate. I go to Aura and the same can be said about the pool temperature being well below what it should be and what the meter reads on the wall in contrast with the kids pools thats always at the desired temperature, it can only come down to maintenance or specific times of the day were the choose wether to keep the pool fully heated or not but its a very good point to mention particularly when your taking lessons and needing to be fully focused. How are you getting along anyway?

Bigger vat of water is harder to control temperature, rule of thumb is 1 day for a 1C temp rise, so if there's a problem, it takes aaaaages to rectify

Thanks for that burkatron. Yep its very important because swimming seems to be one of those things were you have to keep it going otherwise your back to square one as many on the thread have mentioned, I think relaxation is also pivotal to progressing. But I have to say am loving every minute of it even if it takes me a long time to be competent and am just delighted to have taken it up.

Progressing ok esp with backstroke. However, breast stroke breathing causes problems esp after 10m or so. Brilliant excercise though and I really feel great after the sessions. The temp has improved very slightly - the loss of heat seems to be due to lack of insulation under floor of pool which is over an underground carpark (poor design!)

Thanks Burkatron for thoughts on temp .....agree on relaxation and feelgood factor

Thanks for that burkatron. Yep its very important because swimming seems to be one of those things were you have to keep it going otherwise your back to square one as many on the thread have mentioned, I think relaxation is also pivotal to progressing. But I have to say am loving every minute of it even if it takes me a long time to be competent and am just delighted to have taken it up.
    Thanks Burkatron for thoughts on temp .....agree on relaxation and feelgood factor

Guys, you'll do really well if you can crack the relaxation part of it! It's the main thing I bang on about to my beginners. If your instructors haven't tried this with either of you, try practicing sitting on the bottom of the pool as long as you find comfortable before you start any session. It really helps with breathing & relaxation, some people find this really difficult at first but the more you try it the easier it gets. Anyway, keep up the good work!

Merci Burkatron.

I'll give it a go and keep you posted.

Guys, you'll do really well if you can crack the relaxation part of it! It's the main thing I bang on about to my beginners. If your instructors haven't tried this with either of you, try practicing sitting on the bottom of the pool as long as you find comfortable before you start any session. It really helps with breathing & relaxation, some people find this really difficult at first but the more you try it the easier it gets. Anyway, keep up the good work!

Yep I intend going this weekend and am gonna try alot of that going under and practicing the breathing we'll get there slowly but surely:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 cian287

Hay folks.
    www.base2race.ie are doing one on one coaching sessions in an endless pool.
    They are using over and underwater video analysis to break down your stroke
    and show it to you while your still in the pool, giving you an amazing insight into your body position, rotation, stroke, kick ect .They even give you a dvd of your swim to take home with you or to show you trainer ect
    My kick and entry timing was completely off - after 20 years of swimming- no one had ever noticed it ? took some work to change it but I am very pleased now. great time of year to get your stroke checked and make the improvements before we put in the many hours for winter training, check it out

Give it a go, if you do you'll look back at this in 6-10 weeks time & wonder what the fuss was about smile.gif

Well, I stuck with it. Worked up to 600m non-stop and didn't die. 25m front crawl, 25 backstroke and off again. Went for 750 yesterday and kept going to 1,000. Could probably have continued too. It was the best Valentine's day ever. Thank you Burkatron ;)

But I think I know what all the fuss was about - it's the warm up. It takes a long time to get into a rhythm and get the muscles relaxed, and the mind too maybe. Once I get beyond the first ten laps, anything is possible - I could probably have done the 750 much sooner if I hadn't been under pressure to get to work in the mornings. And if I'd figured out just how important the warm-up is.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

In my second set of lessons and I still cant master breathing on the front crawl, totally forget about all the other strokes. I just want to be able to swim, I dont want to compete in the olympics.

Maybe group training with one girl looking after 8 people, and jumping through all the strokes is not the answer.

I think one on one coaching is the answer, focus on the front crawl and get that sorted out first could be the thing to do? any suggestions? [based in city center].

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭bob50

Same here

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Clseeper

@ tHE vAGGABOND & bob50: Personally I'm based more in the North side of Dublin and can't think of anyone really good that I'd recommend for the city centre. As with most gyms and swimming pool, ask at the reception and they normally know someone who will give private lessons.

Also search this forum and see if anyone else has found a good teacher - maybe PM them? I know this is a common enough question.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 lizdell

Hi guys,

I'm an ex competitive swimmer with quite a good few years experience in teaching all ages and abilities. I teach private lessons at the mespil pool, near the city centre. We also do group lessons on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays. If you are interested, you can send me a private message or email the manager of the pool - Mary - mary@mespilpool.com

http://www.mespilpool.com

Thanks!
    Liz

• Registered Users Posts: 22 jimbojonez

hey all,

i'm back swimming after years away from it also and my problem is I have no endurance and am knackered after 3/4 lenghts front crawl. so basically does anyone know of a programme to build up one's endurance in the front crawl. any and all help appreciated, cheers

Something along the lines of this will do the job :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 misty28

Hi all,
    I have been putting this off for a while but am now searching for 1on1 swimming lessons for a complete beginner. I have a number for an instructor in NAC. Having rang on numerous occasions and left many voicemails, with no replies I think it's time to look for someone else. I'm based in Castleknock so any pool in the general area would suit me .
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Anybody not qualified taught somebody to swim, i can swim fine, one or two certs off lifeguard when I was 14 and stopped due to not being old enough to continue. Anyway I am going to teach my girlfriend who has never swam, anybody done this and think of any common difficulties that arise, if any, she won't be scared or anything. Is it quite easy for an adult to pick up? Just bought most the gear and bringing her soon.

Advertisement