Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Insurance question ,

Options
  • 31-08-2019 9:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,519 ✭✭✭✭

My younger sister has a claim aginst her pending about 6 years now and can't change insurance till its done , She was insured on my mothers car when it happened , My mother doesnt drive so my sister just stayed as a named driver under my motbers insurance

Now she wants to buy herself a new car but wants to stay under my mothers insurance as a named driver ,

Can she buy a car with her name as the owner but still use my mother as the main name on the insurance or will she have to buy the car in my mothers name ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,326 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

You said the mother doesn't drive so the current setup and all of the options you're proposing are fraudulent. With all policies, it is assumed that the policyholder is the main driver of the car.

You cannot just stop driving but keep renewing your policy to give your named drivers cheap insurance, it doesn't work that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,519 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

coylemj wrote: »
    You said the mother doesn't drive so the current setup and all of the options you're proposing are fraudulent. With all policies, it is assumed that the policyholder is the main driver of the car.

You cannot just stop driving but keep renewing your policy to give your named drivers cheap insurance, it doesn't work that way.

I should have been more accurate she drives but not often ,

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭treascon

This scenario has nothing to do with your mother. The car and the policy would have to be in your sister’s name and I doubt very much she will get a policy in her name until the claim is finalised

treascon wrote: »
    This scenario has nothing to do with your mother. The car and the policy would have to be in your sister’s name and I doubt very much she will get a policy in her name until the claim is finalised

See thats the problem the orginal car and policy is in my mothers name but because of the claim they wont insurance my sister only under the same circumstance ,
    Shes basically stuck , worse thing is the claim was clearly not her fault and no idea why it has taken all these year to sort put ,
    She want to own a car and have her own policy but is stuck in limbo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Gooser14

See thats the problem the orginal car and policy is in my mothers name but because of the claim they wont insurance my sister only under the same circumstance , Shes basically stuck , worse thing is the claim was clearly not her fault and no idea why it has taken all these year to sort put , She want to own a car and have her own policy but is stuck in limbo

If it was not her fault why is there a claim against her?

• Advertisement

Gooser14 wrote: »
    See thats the problem the orginal car and policy is in my mothers name but because of the claim they wont insurance my sister only under the same circumstance , Shes basically stuck , worse thing is the claim was clearly not her fault and no idea why it has taken all these year to sort put , She want to own a car and have her own policy but is stuck in limbo

If it was not her fault why is there a claim against her?

Its not a straight forward one hance why the 5/6 year wait on it ending her own company are convinced it wasnt her fault,

She was in the inside lane of dual carrage where traffic was flowing and some one the outside lane stopped & flashed for car to cut across them and into then inside (her lane)

Obviously she had know idea and the car just came out in front and she tried to jam on as the other car went infront of her and tried to straighten up, So she hit him on the corner of the rear lights

The driver of the other car said in the Garda report at the scence he was just leaving hospital after back problems and is now claiming this crash caused you guessed it back problems , next to impossible to say of he is making it up as he was suffereing feom them anyway

Its been a mess from begining to end

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

coylemj wrote: »

Nobody said it was cheap. Other than that I agree with your comments.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement