Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Couch to swim

Options
  • 01-04-2019 11:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭

Hi All,

Probably a question I could google but think I’m better doing a quick explainer of my “ability” and see what you guys think.

I’m adult male, very unfit and starting swimming tomorrow with a plan to swim 3 times a week, attain some discipline and hopefully get fitter for the kids.

My problem is I’m self taught swimmer and not very good, I could look great for a length or two of the pool then I’m breathing heavy and can’t keep my head in the water so I think I’m not taking enough air when my mouth comes out at the side

Separately to trying to regulate breathing, I don’t use my legs, don’t know why just bad habit.

I’d love to go from doing a couple of lengths of the pool to a steady, confident swimmer of good distances, any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

Go to a few beginner coached sessions, they will definitely help improve tehcnique and give you some key areas to focus on from a stroke analysis.

Get your legs moving.

Kickboard and Fins will ramp up your cardio workout which will help address the fitness level long-term.
    They will also sort out your body position in the water, which won't be great if you aren't kicking correctly.

Once your technique is reasonably good, fitness only impacts speed and endurance, you'll still be able to get into the pool after a few months of absence and swim a couple of hundred meter warm up without falling apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,475 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

TallyRand wrote: »
    Hi All,

Probably a question I could google but think I’m better doing a quick explainer of my “ability” and see what you guys think.

I’m adult male, very unfit and starting swimming tomorrow with a plan to swim 3 times a week, attain some discipline and hopefully get fitter for the kids.

My problem is I’m self taught swimmer and not very good, I could look great for a length or two of the pool then I’m breathing heavy and can’t keep my head in the water so I think I’m not taking enough air when my mouth comes out at the side

Separately to trying to regulate breathing, I don’t use my legs, don’t know why just bad habit.

I’d love to go from doing a couple of lengths of the pool to a steady, confident swimmer of good distances, any advice?

All pools will have teachers available for 1:1 lessons, as for someone to work with an adult.
    A lessons once a week for a few weeks would help no end.

Advertisement