Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

[Article] Taxi Regulation

Options
  • 22-04-2003 10:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78,243 ✭✭✭✭

There are suggestions in this about a standard taxi colour. Which would you prefer?
    Taxi tsar planning compulsory training for wannabe cab drivers
    Tuesday, 22nd April, 2003
    Brian Dowling Political Correspondent

PROPOSALS to introduce a compulsory training course for future taxi drivers will be presented to the Transport Minister Seamus Brennan in the next two weeks.

Jimmy Farrelly, the temporary regulator for the taxi industry, is finalising an interim report for the minister that will include recommendations on a training course and on whether a standard colour scheme should be introduced for taxis on a nationwide basis.

These measures, along with other plans to be announced in the next few weeks, will mark the first of a series of changes to modernise the industry.

It is expected that the training course, covering key areas such as road safety awareness and driving skills, would initially be of two or three weeks duration and anyone seeking a taxi plate will first have to successfully complete it.

The training course is regarded as one mechanism to raise standards in the industry and to help slow down the number of new taxis coming into the market. Over the last 18 months the number of taxis has risen from 3,000 to over 10,000.

Intending taxi drivers will have to pay for the course and it is expected Mr Farrelly will provide a basic outline of how it would be structured and its cost, likely to be around €200 to €300. Anyone failing the test will not be allowed purchase a taxi plate.

Separately, Mr Brennan has been given assurances from senior gardai that they will take a more rigorous approach to vetting potential taxi drivers, especially after concerns that criminals have been able to purchase taxi plates with relative ease.

Garda chiefs had to contend with a massive increase in the number of new taxi drivers following deregulation and they are now hoping that a slowdown in the number of applicants will provide more time for extensive vetting of future drivers.

The minister also supports the idea of a standard nationwide colour scheme for taxis to provide a more visible and high-profile presence and it is understood Mr Farrelly has almost completed consultations with the main taxi groups on this issue.

Over the next few weeks the Government will also start the first payments from the €15m hardship fund agreed to assist taxi drivers with large debts from earlier purchases of expensive taxi plates who were competing with new entrants after deregulation.

Finance Minister Charlie McCreevy has given approval to Mr Brennan to proceed with plans for the establishment of a permanent national taxi regulator and a national taxi council and these positions will be advertised within the next month.

Which would you prefer for taxis? 7 votes

Yellow (USA)
    0% 0 votes
    Yellow & black (New York)
    0% 0 votes
    Cream (Germany)
    14% 1 vote
    White (Spain)
    14% 1 vote
    Black (UK)
    14% 1 vote
    Chequered (Iraq - each wing panel is red on a white car)
    0% 0 votes
    Day glow orange
    14% 1 vote
    Green (for Ireland)
    0% 0 votes
    Other
    42% 3 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭embraer170

Well definitely not some bright colour which dirties easily...

Jer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

it doesnt really make a difference, once they are all the same colour

i think having them green (for ireland) is taking the touristy "oirish" image a bit too far

next there'll be thatched rooves on the taxi ranks and all drivers will have to wear aran sweaters:D :D

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭atgate

Pity they don't use the "city" colours e.g. blue for dublin area, white for Kildare etc. I don't really mind what colour they use just so long as they use a standard version of that colour, we don't need a thousand shades of green, or blue, or yellow. No offence to taxi drivers but I seen some of the colours they've painted their houses (and those christmas decorations).

Hopefully they'll also have to pass a stricter NCT type test, I got into a taxi the other week that was 89D and in bits.

a

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

The single biggest imporvement (INHO) they could make would be to link the meter to the roof light.

No light = Taxi engaged, meter running.
    Light = Taxi available, meter not running.

Every other so-called civlised country can manage this, but not us...:(

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭atgate

Too right Borzoi, added advantage would be if a cab stops for you without his light on you could keep your eye on whether the meter had already been running before they cab stopped for you (of course this oversight would be a pure accident on the part of the driver).

a

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Borzoi
    The single biggest imporvement (INHO) they could make would be to link the meter to the roof light.

No light = Taxi engaged, meter running.
    Light = Taxi available, meter not running.

Every other so-called civlised country can manage this, but not us...:(
    this is my biggest pet hate of all
    i have lost count how many times i have been almost killed trying to flag down an "available" taxi, only for him + passengers to fly past:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Make them dark metallic green and consider standardising the makes and models of cars that may be used.

Make it compulsory for them to be kept clean both inside and out and for the driver to dress neatly.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,243 ✭✭✭✭Victor

There is a taxi charter in New York that sets out all these topics, things like not play the radio too loud, no obligation to talk, no incence / perfume / smoking in the car, no food & drink, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

Actually a lot of the suggestions made already exist, it is just a matter of enforcing them. Taxis already have to pass the NCT every year, unfortunately, having a dirty inside is a fail advisory IIRC, but it shouldn't be too hard to make it a full fail. As for the roof sign light being attached to the meter, that should be made law. Most, if not all, current meters have the facility, so it is just a matter of wiring up the sign to the meter rather than to the switch it currents occupies. As for the standard colours, if they do introduce it there'll be problems from the drivers who have their car painted in advertising colours (e.g. the Kit Kat vans). I honestly don't see a need for it, you can hardly miss the roof sign it is so big. If they did introduce it, it would have to be over a long period so that no current drivers would be effected until they were renewing their cars. As for specifying the make/model, that would be unworkable IMO, imagine the corruption involved as manufacturers and garages try to get the authorities to pick their make/model. I think current restrictions are fine in that regard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭commuterised

I got into a taxi recently and as the guy is lighting up he goes, you don't mind if I smoke do you..?
    I did mind, it was 8am and I was on my way to work and as a non smoker I didn't want to have to reek of his smoke all the way to work. I was too afraid to say no, he was kinda scarey. The journey took 40 mins and he nearly killed us both twice. I hate taxis.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

I got into a taxi recently and as the guy is lighting up he goes, you don't mind if I smoke do you..?
    It doesn't matter whether you mind or not, he shouldn't have lit up as it is illegal.

if he continues to get away with it, then he'll continue to light up

Advertisement