Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dublin Bus - Major Service Expansion Announced

Options
124»

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Is it just me or are those 66e times very odd? Monday - Friday off peak and hourly?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

I love how DB makes such a song and dance about what are in some cases extremely minor service changes.
    Is it just me or are those 66e times very odd? Monday - Friday off peak and hourly?

I think they're meant as a complement to the 66Xs that serve that part of Leixlip at peak times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭IE 222

Do DB run services not listed on timetables.

There is a 49 that passes Harolds Cross around 5:30am on route to city centre. Timetable suggests first departure is 6:15 from Jobstown. I've seen in service 27s departing the city centre for tallaght at 5am also timetable lists first bus from Clarehall at 5:15.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

IE 222 wrote: »

There is a 49 that passes Harolds Cross around 5:30am on route to city centre. Timetable suggests first departure is 6:15 from Jobstown. I've seen in service 27s departing the city centre for tallaght at 5am also timetable lists first bus from Clarehall at 5:15.

Could be either buses put on to take DB staff to work as there are a few staff shuttles run early in the morning to get DB staff before the first bus and late at night after the last bus to get staff home.

Either that or they could be heading out from Ringsend displaying the route number instead of Entering Service. I'm just guessing and could be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭john boye

Wow that's a blast from the past, I used to regularly see that 49 about 15 years ago. I think it leaves the square at 5 and works in service to Ringsend.

• Advertisement

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Could be either buses put on to take DB staff to work as there are a few staff shuttles run early in the morning to get DB staff before the first bus and late at night after the last bus to get staff home.

Either that or they could be heading out from Ringsend displaying the route number instead of Entering Service. I'm just guessing and could be wrong.

49 could possibly be laid on for staff requirements, but it's definitely in full service as it does have a decent loading on board which is strange as its not advertised anywhere. I often see passengers get on and off at odd stops given the time of day so i doubt its only DB staff using it. Pretty sure its displayed on the real time display also.

The few 27s I've seen had one or two on board and all lights on with correct destination displayed ect so I presume its in service.

Out of interest is there a reason why the last 65 is the only bus that returns to base in service. No other routes do this.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Because it's incredibly far and relatively early?

The later but not last 66 and 67 returned in service in the past when based at Conygham Road; I now think they operate short to somewhere in the city centre

john boye wrote: »
    Wow that's a blast from the past, I used to regularly see that 49 about 15 years ago. I think it leaves the square at 5 and works in service to Ringsend.

Yeah well it seems to be thriving as well. Was it listed on the timetable back then.

Could it be a case if the scheduled driver was late or rang in sick they wouldn't be able to cover it and would have to cancel the service at short notice so don't advertise it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭thomasj

Out of interest is there a reason why the last 65 is the only bus that returns to base in service. No other routes do this.

69 does as well, there's one scheduled for 00.05 but it's regularly late .

I usually get that bus when coming back from rathcoole on a night out .

L1011 wrote: »
    Because it's incredibly far and relatively early?

The later but not last 66 and 67 returned in service in the past when based at Conygham Road; I now think they operate short to somewhere in the city centre

What you mean relatively early. This departs Ballymore at 00:20. It the latest scheduled departure throughout the whole network. There is one at 23:15 as well. As you say only the second last 66s and 67s returned in service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭john boye

Yeah well it seems to be thriving as well. Was it listed on the timetable back then.

Could it be a case if the scheduled driver was late or rang in sick they wouldn't be able to cover it and would have to cancel the service at short notice so don't advertise it.

No wasn't listed then either. There are many early untimetabled workings like it (though maybe not as many as there used to be). I think they're not listed as they are primarily provided as a staff ghost but clearly some pax have cottoned on to their existence. Obviously some of them could be listed but a lot of them take a very different routing to the normal route.

thomasj wrote: »
    69 does as well, there's one scheduled for 00.05 but it's regularly late .

I usually get that bus when coming back from rathcoole on a night out .

What time does that arrive into the city centre? I think the 65 doesn't get in till about 1:30 - 1:45am. Does anyone know if it gets much loadings.

Why don't other last buses on more popular routes return back in service especially ones going that way.

john boye wrote: »
    No wasn't listed then either. There are many early untimetabled workings like it (though maybe not as many as there used to be). I think they're not listed as they are primarily provided as a staff ghost but clearly some pax have cottoned on to their existence. Obviously some of them could be listed but a lot of them take a very different routing to the normal route.

Yeah i think the 40 does this as well but has actually been added to the timetable in recent months. Pretty sure I've seen a 4 and 9 as well which would reach city centre before 6am. Must be a staff thing then. But considering the numbers on board and people i see waiting at stops or walking to work they'd really fill them if they listed them. A lot of people have 6am starts now even in the city centre.

What time does that arrive into the city centre? I think the 65 doesn't get in till about 1:30 - 1:45am. Does anyone know if it gets much loadings.

Why don't other last buses on more popular routes return back in service especially ones going that way.

It doesn't go all the way. It used to go as far as church Street junction and terminate there. Now it goes as far as conyngham road garage.

It usually gets there around or just after 1 and it is quite light but as you've said it's going that way so it may as well take passengers.

The 68 is another route, (and that only got a timetable change earlier this year) last one runs after midnight back to conyngham road .

The 66/67s probably lost their last inbound service after they switched depot a few years ago.

Strange the shorter routes don't do it though. It makes sense to run them in service but surely there is more demand later running 16s for instance. The last 16s to run a full route depart at 22:45.

Strange the shorter routes don't do it though. It makes sense to run them in service but surely there is more demand later running 16s for instance. The last 16s to run a full route depart at 22:45.

Yeah that is crazy.

Just to pick up what you were saying about last departures, like you said, the last Dublin bus operated service is the 00.20 65 service inbound.

The last subsidised bus service in the Dublin area is the 00.30hrs 33A bus from Dublin airport to Balbriggan operated by go ahead.

Here's hoping we see the introduction of 24 hour services finally, later this year.

thomasj wrote: »
    Yeah that is crazy.

Just to pick up what you were saying about last departures, like you said, the last Dublin bus operated service is the 00.20 65 service inbound.

The last subsidised bus service in the Dublin area is the 00.30hrs 33A bus from Dublin airport to Balbriggan operated by go ahead.

Here's hoping we see the introduction of 24 hour services finally, later this year.

Well considering the number of early morning departures and there popularity given they aren't published the demand is there. It wouldn't take much to fill the rest of the gaps.

If they ran the last buses at 00:00 an hourly service on 10 of the cross city routes between 1-5 would be more than adequate.

Would running the nite links 7 nights a week with them running in service on their return to the city not be a short term solution and give a good indication as too what routes require 24hrs services.

The aircoaches also seem to be well used in the early hours as well by a lot of night revellers trying to get home. Often see more students heading home getting on than people heading for the airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

The missus has discovered an early morning 13 that goes via SCR/Conyngham Road that's not timetabled that is well used and has a good few queuing for it in Islandbridge.

And one morning a few months back I was coming home at stupid o'clock and saw a 79 taking the same route as well.

I assumed like most that they're driver services given they all seem to go past Conyngham Road Garage.

• Advertisement
Advertisement