Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

BusConnects Dublin - Big changes to Bus Network

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Ah I went to school on a 53 seater coach and it went over that bridge every school day so bottoming out is likely not a concern IMO but visibility is very poor over the bridge. On a coach probably ok for the driver as he or she would be sitting higher up but with a normal city bus that's not the case. A replacement bridge or bypass of that bridge is needed either way. Maybe these bridges aren't listed/protected. I just thought I read somewhere that canal bridges are listed while railway bridges are not. Could be nonsense though. They took care of the hump back bridge at Adamstown after all, though it wasn't as severe a hump as at Hazelhatch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Buffman

Nope is the short answer to that. For weekdays a quick comparison of both timetables (now that W61s is eventually available) shows both C4 and W61 are for the most part both scheduled to leave Maynooth at approximately the same time (15 minutes before and after the hour) resulting in the W61 running around 5 minutes behind the C4 towards Celbridge due to it starting further out.

Yes, it's a protected structure so their options are limited to more traffic control and using small busses. A far simpler and immediately available option to get a full version of W6 route going with good train connectivity would have been to route via Adamstown as I've said before, but they took the option of splitting the route and kicking the 230 year old Hazelhatch bridge problem back to SDCC.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

On a W61, driver is keeping to the timetable block time by stopping at every stop whether flagged or not. There's very little traffic what with it being the middle of a summer day with only a few schools still in.

Demand wise right now they could absolutely use a Streetlite on this and I imagine they can use the bridge, but school term and also more demand on an end to end service might make a double decker be required again. It's one of the squeaky Wrights transferred from DB today

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭tnegun

I took a walk along the Moyglare road at lunch and was pleasantly surprised to see passengers waiting at 3 of the stops the route hasn't been publicized much bar people noticed the stops but its promising to see people using the service already. I spoke to one of the drivers in Moyglare too and he said there's been a few Hazelhatch to Maynooth and return so the train link is being used by some too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Is this not happening anymore? I notice the submission of corridors has gone cold again.

Bonkers that ABP are allowed sit on the corridors this long. Planning delays are having a really detrimental impact on the economic and social life of the country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Well ABP are snowed under, as we all know, so they can't do anything only sit on them. And we all know that if these as yet unapplied for corridors did go to ABP and they miraculously approved them in a reasonable time, the NTA would just come the ones sitting on them as they have numerous other corridors further in the process and it isn't possible to build many simultaneously (due to huge disruption across the city, lack of available labour, etc.).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭Qrt

Lots of chat in the office about the W4 and W62. People have been waiting decades for these routes. One girl usually got bus to the Red Cow and then Luas to Tallaght but now got here in twenty minutes.

that said, I did see a W62 going the wrong way, but all in good time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭cgcsb

the snowed under argument implies that something is being done though, but none of the major infrastructure projects submitted in the past year or two appear to be going anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,542 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

The Road Traffic and Roads Act 2023 (No.16 of 2023) was only signed into law by President Higgins on Friday 23 June, 2023.

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭stop

New bus stops installed at junction of New Nangor Road and R136 - 8068 & 8074. But these stops are served only by the W4 instead of the 13,68 and 151 also being added to them. Simple simple opportunity for interchange being missed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭DaBluBoi

Oddly enough, when I was using the W4 for the first time today, the buses I was on displayed the wrong destination on BOTH directions

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

W62 stuck in traffic leaving the Square after the match and a passerby:

"St Finian's NS, the W62...where the **** does that go"

So getting out the local information has a bit of work to go yet

I mean, the timetables aren't even up on most of the stops, even though the routes have already been launched. No wonder most people aren't aware of them

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Even with the timetable in front of you, it's a fair shout that the number of people who would know where "St. Finian's NS" or "Community College" or any other vague destination are that are popping up on the BusConnects routes is low. However well the information rollout goes, the info on the front of the bus shouldn't be so useless.

There's a good reason why "An Lár" has stuck around despite some people loathing it on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,878 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

ha, two weeks ago my wife was on a 13 which went wrong at the Red Cow and took a detour up the M50!

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Of all the basic things which the NTA get wrong, their naming of terminus stops is perhaps the most unforgivable. The terminus name should include the main area/town served by the route in that direction, even if the actual terminus is ott the far side of the area/town, plus a local identifier. It's really basic stuff.

Doesn’t the destination display on the W62 not read

”St Finian’s NS, Newcastle”, one above the other?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭tnegun

I caught the W61 from Maynooth to Hazelhatch this am, it was 5 minutes late at the first stop on the Moyglare road despite having arrived at the terminus 5 mins before departure. The inbound service had realtime info but not the outbound so I thought I'd missed it! There were several more passengers who boarded in Maynooth disembarking in Celbridge and one other traveled on to Hazelhatch and caught the train with me. Even though it was late departing it made time and held for 3/4 minutes again at the M4 business park. The journey took an hour and twenty minutes door to door a little better than before and less walking so that's a win!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

When the lights were installed on the Hazelhatch bridge a few years ago, I wasn't sure how successful they would be (there was a disastrous attempt in the early 80s). A local farmer was more concerned about the placement of the lights - he felt they would be better lower down the slope of the bridge.

The lights have been successful - mainly as a result of the better signal controls in place. But, I asked the farmer about his experience, and he still wishes that the lights were lower down the bridge. If he's drawing a trailer over the bridge, and a lorry is coming from the other side, it can be hard to get over - often one or the other needs to reverse to allow passage. But, it's easier for a lorry/tractor & trailer/bus to pass each other lower down the bridge, so I imagine that the lights will be moved in a similar manner to other canal bridges.

I have seen trailers getting stuck on the top of the bridge, but not since remedial works done in the 90s.

The Bridge, McEvoy's pub, the former Lee's pub (now a 'gallery') and the domestic dwelling on the third corner are all protected structures.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭mortimer33

Any idea when the S4 route is planned to run? I don't see mention of it anywhere..

• Advertisement

When Dublin Bus can find and retain sufficient staff to operate both their existing services and the additional routes they will be operating in that phase, is probably the most honest answer to that question.

The hope is later this year, but it’ll all depend on the staffing.

I thought Go Ahead was supposed to operate the S4, given it replaces pieces of the 17 and 18?

It is, but you can’t launch the S4 without the other parts of the jigsaw being in place at the same time, namely the S2, S6, S8, L25 and 74.

The S2, L25 and 74 are all to be Dublin Bus operated, and they replace elements of the 17, 18, 61, 75 and 175. They, being brand new routes, are going to require a lot of additional drivers that Dublin Bus don’t appear to have right now, based on cancellation levels.

You have to look at the big picture - one route doesn’t exist in isolation.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,696 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

The depot they're coming to (Donnybrook) are supposedly at full staff levels with only 4 or so duties off per day on both sides although you see the amount that are still put off on the 14s and 15s, and the 46s and 155s

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭brianc89

Jaysus how long more will that be the case?! Just how many drivers do they need to recruit?! Series question

The buses parked up at Eden Quay and the numbers of 14s and 15s curtailed or cancelled every day tells me that they aren’t anywhere near fully staffed.

I can’t think why this would you think the decision to proceed might be garage based in any case. There are still large numbers of cancellations and curtailments all over the DB network. There is no way that they could launch these additional routes while they still are cancelling other services - that won’t wash. The company has to be able to operate all of the existing routes across the network before launching more routes. The NTA has given that commitment already.

These three extra routes alone are probably going to need 50 to 60 new drivers to operate them - the S2 and L25 are high frequency.

Just out of curiosity, how many driver duties does the W4, W61 and W62 require?

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Tickityboo

Edit

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Tickityboo

Edit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,696 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

My point was that they're supposedly 'fully staffed'. I'm a driver in Donnybrook.

Advertisement