Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cameras on the junctions

• 23-06-2016 10:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi,

I am driving from Kilkenny to Cashel last week and in Freshford, Urlingford and Cashel I spotted a camera poles on many junctions in towns any idea what they are doing there?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,282 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Horrorshow

Hi,

nope they are looking like light pole but on the top of pole it is a camera and they are watching junctions without lights

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

I think there general cctv a lot of them are popping up in housing estates monitoring anti social behaviour

I will try to make a picture of that and attach it later

• Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭VincePP

Traffic management - http://www.theaa.ie/routes/#/r/

See all the red, orange & yellow lines. All automatically generated by these cameras which take your reg and measure time to following cameras.

As per legislation, this infomation cannot be recorded, so there's no data issues involved.

Before I head form home to work each moring I check my local area map - see what traffic delays there are and use the most suitable route to avoid it

• Advertisement

Thats it thank you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,661 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

VincePP wrote: »
    Before I head form home to work each moring I check my local area map - see what traffic delays there are and use the most suitable route to avoid it

I have the Google app on my phone set that it automatically alerts to any traffic issues in the morning or en-route. Works very well and has frequently alerted me to incidents ahead with an automatic offer to reroute if the suggested detour saves time, and in the evening it pops up an alert with the ETA back home which helps me decide when to leave the office. This is without actively running the Nav/Maps app - all happens in the background. Thing even remembers where I parked :)

Some people may get worked up about the privacy aspect but I find that very useful anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭HonalD

VincePP wrote: »
    Traffic management - http://www.theaa.ie/routes/#/r/

See all the red, orange & yellow lines. All automatically generated by these cameras which take your reg and measure time to following cameras.

As per legislation, this infomation cannot be recorded, so there's no data issues involved.

Are you sure that this is correct? DCC has traffic CCTV cameras for monitoring traffic. Google Maps uses GSM SIM data. Correct me if I'm wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭VincePP

HonalD wrote: »
    Are you sure that this is correct? DCC has traffic CCTV cameras for monitoring traffic. Google Maps uses GSM SIM data. Correct me if I'm wrong.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/big-brother-fears-over-cameras-on-motorways-26803512.html

Advertisement