Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Goggles recommendation

• 20-05-2019 10:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭

Any recommendations for a good set of goggles. I've been only pool swimming but will be starting O.W. in the next fortnight in prep for Blessington.
    So goggles for pool and OW. ones that dont steam up to bad or let water in

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

https://malmsten.com/en/selected-when-it-counts/swedish-goggles

Mirrored for outdoor, clear for indoor.

Masks and fancy this and that are simply a way of separating you from your money. trust me I have a box of the cr@p.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/swim-zoggs-original-predator-flex-goggles/

You'll see a lot of these about. I've been through a few pairs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

my open water googles are by far the best lol I dont use ones and man did that make live easier . for a full IM in salt water I might have a 250 mm bottle of water to rinse the eyes a bit but usally not even that.

for the pool i still use now and then a blueseventy pair from 2005 . element or so they are called simple and pretty much the most bomb proof i have ever swam with.

as said above swedish googles are defo worth a try .

at the end its simple ask a few people in the pool to borrow their gogles for a few sec , stick it on your face and if if falls off with less than 2 -3 seconds without using a strap give it back and try the next.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/swim-zoggs-original-predator-flex-goggles/

You'll see a lot of these about. I've been through a few pairs

yup, been using the same pair of these in the pool for several years now, and a separate pair for OW swims (just as they are shaded which i don;t like in the pool)

but lets be honest many people buy them because they see other people wearing them....

they are not buying them because thats the one that fit best.
    you just cant make a reccomndation on saddles and gogles on fit

even when i see people its virtualy imposible even if i measure sitbones ( for saddle ) and have a look at eye sockets there is just so many factores that inflience a good saddle and gogle fit

you can say this golges are durable but thats very different from those will fit you well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭SchrodingersCat

tony stark wrote: »
    ones that dont steam up to bad or let water in

I put a tiny dab of Johnson and Johnson No More Tears shampoo on the inside to keep away the condensation. Cheaper than any of the fancy films that wear off and hopefully more hygienic than spit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Aqua Sphere brand are very good. I've been using them for years. Edge shops stock them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,302 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Many years ago I was told to spit into your goggles, use your finger to cover the inside and then quickly rinse out in the water you’re swimming in.

Never had a condensation problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

I put a tiny dab of Johnson and Johnson No More Tears shampoo on the inside to keep away the condensation. Cheaper than any of the fancy films that wear off and hopefully more hygienic than spit.

Usually people use their own spit....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

peter kern wrote: »

you can say this golges are durable but thats very different from those will fit you well

and you can find goggles that fit your face perfectly that break after 2 swim sessions .

so if you find a pair that fits you well, and someone has told you they last a long time, that should be helpful, no? unless you own shares in a goggle company.

not sure why that is so difficult to understand.

and i say that from someone who did a sport where a facemask breaking at the wrong time could be a major problem, not just an inconvenience like it is in triathlon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 TiggerC

Ive tried a few basic pairs and then bought a cool pair from Huub (Varga ones plus they were pink and mirrored...very cool) loved them but failed in the end and as I was a new swimmer I never took any notice of how they actually didnt really suit me. This year I bought a pair of Zoggs Predator Flex and they really are a game changer. Never leak and never fog, fit me perfectly but may not fit next person as good.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Was going to say what Peter said, goggle fit is individual. I use arena racing - they have mirrored version for OW too but I just wear same ones in pool as ow.
    https://www.wiggle.co.uk/arena-tracks-racing-goggles-1/

Can usually pick them up on wiggle for about €7. Have tried many other pairs, much more expensive pairs and they never fit right. Find these durable too. Haven't bought a pair in a few years now I'd say but I built up a stock a few years ago :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Same as Peter above - simply don't use goggles for sea or lake swimming (might stick them on for a 'dirty' race like DCT though lol). Your eyes adjust very quickly, much quicker than you would think and the amount of drama you avoid by not having goggles is incredible. Not to mention you can actually see really well to sight your markers on land.

No goggles FTW.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Did that not take some getting used to? I've had bandy goggles in the sea for training swims and end up having to abandon ship. Do you open you eyes under water in the sea? That hurts like a bugger for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

I used to swim without goggles when lifeguard training. Wish I had kept that up. Feels impossible to go back to now but might see about giving it a try after this season ends

I used to swim without goggles when lifeguard training. Wish I had kept that up. Feels impossible to go back to now but might see about giving it a try after this season ends

i can only tell you from my experience it takes me every year 0 seconds to adapt to it ( tough for my first open water swim every year i do wear goggles as i believe it keeps me warm for 3 more seconds ...

and yes i do keep my eyes open underwater

iam sure its dosnt work for everbody , yet so far everybody i manged to convince to try it out has adapted to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭mackeminexile

I just moved to these after trying around 20 (maybe more) different pairs. They are the only ones that have never leaked! As other posters have said, baby shampoo on the inside also the best fix for fog in OW.

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/arena-swedix-mirror-racing-goggles-1/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

No goggles is certainly an 'unusual' sensation for the eyeballs, but not a sore one. I moved over to it a few seasons back and I couldn't go back to goggles in open water anymore- too restrictive and much harder to see anything above the water line. Sure there's nothing to see below and yes, eyes open under water, you'll adjust in minutes and might be surprised.

Advertisement